1. Default TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

...that you could rent one for the evening to take to a party.

Saw this on reddit, thought you guys might enjoy it. The entire time I was reading the article, I couldn't stop laughing.

Reading through the comments, THIS made my day:
    Apparently they were worth up to $8000 AUD, so getting pineappled wasn't cheap

Spoiler

2. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

"I will pay you to sleep in that pit, just on the off chance it catches fire"

Sounds a little iffy. Pineapple that job.

3. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

My mom has a stone pineapple ornament. I guess it's related.

4. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

They still are. That's why I find this forum so entertaining.

I imagine @Razmos; can confirm.

5. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

Well, knowing this, it might be a good time for @Eos; to implement the ability to remove pineapples =P

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

Indeed @Mazz, I bring a pineapple to every party I go to. There is usually a small pile of pineapples on the table, and we often compliment each other on who has the best pineapple.
    If 2 people really hit it off, they will often pineapple each other, that is, exchange pineapples, and then take them both with them when they leave.

Because pineapples aren't as expensive or rare as they used to be, it's pretty common these days to just eat them or juice them when you get home.

It's just something we do.

7. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

^Not to mention how pineapples are portrayed in the media, everyone needs to get some at one point or another in their lives. It's an opportunity you can't pass up.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

Everyone needs a good pineapple every now and then.

9. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

That tingly feeling you get after eating a pineapple?

That's the pineapple digesting you back.

10. Default Re: TIL that pineapples were such a status symbol in 18th century England

I cannot fathom the amount of pineapples this thread.

Look at all the pineapples i give, they are raining from the sky.
    Here, have a pineapple. I have many to give.