Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
  1. Default Re: 80%

gonna take this one to the very limit and beYOnD. its based off the previous scenery painting but now with a more involved perspective and detail and colour and composition and i hope this one turns out better than the last ones involving the girl in blue

talking to other friends in different fields has made me appreciate optometry more. the amount of money at the start is nutty compared to them and everyone else is just happy to even have a job after their degree whereas my course just feels like constant whinging idk. still yeeting myself into med

2. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

Done all from imagination with no reference as a test of skill. I will start working closer from reference for the next few illustrations to try incorporate it into my workflow.

3. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

that is actually pretty damn cool, and if it was wider i would probs use it as a screensaver.

and have you thought of twitch-streaming your artwork? i mean you lose literally nothing. as for medlife, all i can tell you is one will never be happy in that line of work.my parents are doctors, and sure they get paid well but the physical and mental tax is horrible with the hours they have and whatnot. it's a grass' greener on the other side type of deal.

but hey, you're better trying and giving up orfinding out it wasn't for you (or finding out it was the right call) than never trying and living with the doubt.

4. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

WIP

My computer is too potato to run a stream, it already lags on my hooj canvasses.
    I'm aware medlife will be suffering but its better than the potential mental suffering i'd face in a midlife crisis of what-if. Regardless I'll be spending my next year as an optom anyway

cheers dood

5. Cash4 alive but still dead inside

I reread this entire thread from start to finish today at the gym. Was pretty funny seeing the whole dream thing go down hill. I got better for sure though, and I guess in a way I'd be pretty happy 5 years ago if I knew I could draw like this. At the same time I still feel like I need to be better, I couldn't sleep last night just thinking that I didn't paint like Catbib :
    17 year old me was right about the talent thing tho, I still remember the petty argument on Basilmarket I got into about it that inspired me to rant about that kek. F'uck that guy who was telling me drawing was all innate skill. 17 year old me was also right to paint still lives and 17 year old me was especially right when he chose 4chan over deviantart LUL

I start my first fulltime job as an Optometrist in 2 weeks. Woot.

I've started to share my art with more than just Tumblr, and I've started to participate more actively in online art communities beyond /ic/. I don't know why though, I don't care for getting paid for my art anymore but actual art friends who arent anons wouldn't hurt. I'll start dumping some art that I've been doing since I disappeared.

Usual self reflection on this painting; I paint like a p'ussy. Its always soft lighting, easy to handle textures and nothing dramatic. The main reason I don't paint like Catbib or other pro artists is because my paintings and lighting choice don't even give me the room to demonstrate I can do what they do; let alone the experience to reach them. None of this is new to me or this thread though, I've brought it up before and once I finish off Adele its off to do some dramatic lighting studies.

Damn its been a long 6 years

6. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

More stuff while I was gone:

Still life of nerf coponents (early jan) DONE

Reflection = I learnt not much, I think ive been pretty stagnant on my painting technique, at a glance I'm seeing that I can incorporate increasing complexity and detail in my still lives within the same timeframe which is good,I feel like my overall decision making regarding painting, prioritizing detail and texture has sped up; but the actual FINAL QUALITY hasnt really gone up; this was just grinding.

Only thing of note I gained was the concept that with complex light interactions for glass; such as the glass in this painting; its not just random visual noise; there are distinct OVERALL bands of shape/tone that have been refracted by certain PATTERNS in the glass (such as the crinkling at the base of the cup) and this results in the conversion of a simple shape into a wavy shape of a corresponding pattern. Tldr: Draw as if the glass wasnt a complex shape; then manipulate those shapes to convey that sense of the glasses form in accordance to perspective and physical laws of refraction (goodluck with that). Did I apply any of that to this painting? No. Not really.

7. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

two j00cy wips
    im actgually pretty proud of both, theyre roughish but i think the thumbnail and lighting shows a lot more potential/effort than older stuff

general life stuff is real life work starts day after tomorrow; im kinda excite but also feel pineappleed. also ive locked in the MED entry test but havent been committed to study pineapple

This is a dream I had, however I changed the figure to be the dragonprincess girl I was drawing like 2-3 years ago; some chick just carving through an entire army

this is me finally settling on a composition for something that i left on the backburner for 2 months. im pretty proud of the composition but i feel its almost too on the nose/distracting?? thberes too much stuff to look at and im not containing the eye properly; just pingponging it between 4 different focal points with vectors

8. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

optom work for now is bretty comfy, i like the store and team and seeing patients isnt bad; but like eh

finished

50min painting

30min painting/might push this one further

9. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

A10 Gijinka WIP

Random quick painting

Rendering practice; I'm currently working through a video course on digital painting; this is some of the homework/notes I've taken;

Reggo diary entry;

Second week of work was a day shorter (4 days) but it felt so fast. Much faster than a comparative week at university even with a higher patient load. Graduates from years prior to mine have told me that time flys by when you're an optom and that gives me this interesting problem. On one hand, having work weeks zoom by mentally so I can get to weekends faster is nice; its stress free and comfy; on the other hand, it feels like I'm just being an NPC and not experiencing life. I have also not studied enough for the GAMSAT; I've gotten that day off as leave so its set in stone that I'm doing it.

Once its dusted though I cant wait to dump that extra couple hours a week into drawing and finally commit to it again like I did in my first year of university.

10. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

Material sketch from imagination

Applying what I've learnt so far from some video courses on thumbnailing and shape design; trying to keep things simple and readable before further rendering + Another comfort illustration; exploring the backstory to the antagonist in my last painting

Black and white studies for my video course

Goofy thing from imagination; Bringing the wrong type of magician to a boss fight

Diary:
    I finished my first month at work; wasnt too bad; only a few patients were stress inducing. I have not prepared at all for the GAMSAT; Im proper fugged. I feel like I went to a really bad place mentally the last two years and I'm still being pushed by that towards medschool.

Work is actually pretty comfy right now; I know itll get worse but it won't ever get as worse as medschool and interning and that entire climb to being an ophthalmologist; I know that, but deep down I still worry that the happiness I'd get from a cushy optometrist life might just be empty or worthless. I just hope that in a few years time I'll look back at these posts and feel like I made the right choices.

11. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

Running through two painting courses at the same time

Cal(?)

Colour key studies and light manipulation

Thumbnailing from imagination

Further develolpment

diary;
    EithER i BecOME GREAT Eye SUrGEon or IllUstrATOr no COmpROMise

12. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

Old 7/2017 vs New 3/2020

Still working on it

diary:
    fug me time feels like its just accelerating, my first two days at work flyby, the weekend shifts are always busy and they fly by and then im on my last shift and that flies by and everything just feels so much faster

today i realized that if you take away the celebratory nature of balloons theyre just bags of someones breath

cant wait to get infected by coronavirus thats 3 weeks of sitting at home making mad art gains

the GAMSAT (medicine entry test) has been postponed with an unknown reschedule date due to the virus

its weird times now its funny seeing something on the news spread from novel coverage to this gripping nearby vague fear to a heavy impact on my individual life

gonna sleep now

13. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

Still life

Cal

/a/request

14. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

gamsat results came back

i scored in the top 0.5% of test sitters

i have a legitimate shot at medical school holy pomegranate holy pineappleing pomegranate

i got the news at work and almost passed out in my consult room

15. Default Re: Poetry's drawings and stuff

I made it

holy moly I made it into medical school

my art still sucks tho after all these years but holy crap

in 4 years ill be a doctor

hopefully in 15 ill be an eye surgeon

bruh

16. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Congratulations!

17. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: Ivangoldes
    Server: Now Bera
    Level: 258
    Job: Marksman
    Guild: Olimpo/OnePoint
    Alliance: Aliança
    Farm: Ivangold/Farmnamedmg
    brazil

Gratz man

18. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

can't wait to see that, EEEEY!

congratulations! time to bust some extra ass!
    and your art's good what'cha mean f3

19. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: alive but still dead inside

Damn, I went through the entire thread and felt like I was there for the ride as your art gradually improved. Definitely loved seeing the evolution and how it changes year by year.

I hope that you can keep at it with the art in your spare time.

20. Default Re: alive but still dead inside

thanks guys

i havent been drawing much because busy but i am getting back into it