1. Default Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Sorry if already posted elsewhere, didn't see it.

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/inf...ces-update.jsp

Doesn't Project M still use WFC? Wonder what they're going to do.

Also how will this affect PokeBank? Or does it use its own connection? I never downloaded it so I never looked into it.

2. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Yeah I posted it in the 3DS topic, but having its own topic doesn't hurt.

Recap on the affected games by this decision

List of affected games

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Dolphin plays pm on it's own system so only console based wfc is affected. Still, this is a big deal. Nintendo is abandoning the online market?

4. I've got no strings Straight Male
    IGN: Ryukiro
    Server: Scania
    Level: 183
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Vigilante
    Alliance: Lore
    North_Carolina

Sounds like they're really trying to nudge people to get WiiU for online play. It really sucks though considering there's games still less than 2 years old that use the service.(Pokemon Black 2/White 2) I'd say it's way too soon but not unexpected after most of the online features halted on the Wii.

5. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

I posted about it in the pokemon XY thread, I didn't realize it was for every Nintendo DS/Wii game(only pokemon titles were listed on Serebii) though.. Wow.

6. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

._. but how are we supposed to battle over the net on pogey gaems then?

Edit: Do you think we could mitigate the loss of pokemon games with xlink kai? Xlink kai basically makes adhoc games function like wfc games.

7. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Xlink Kai doesn't work for DS to my knowledge, though.

This sounds like they're losing too much money and are trying to reduce costs. They don't care about the Wii or DS anymore because they're trying to move Wii U/3DS's, so they're trying to remove the reason to use a Wii / DS.

Problem is that the Wii U and 3DS flat out emulate the Wii/DS games, so even people who bought the newer consoles with backwards compatibility in mind are getting screwed.

8. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Right now it doesn't, however I would be curious if they could make it work. It seems like a pretty big opportunity and it would probably be a mistake not to jump on it.

9. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

If I remember correctly, the idea was brought up, at least for the 3DS, when it was announced that MH was moving over to the 3DS, and the developers of XLink said something about how the device works with wireless they can't do it or some other nonsense like that.

I think XLink Kai is pretty much dying anyway, as they've lost a lot of support recently (especially in the wireless adapter department). I also haven't seen a major update for it in months last time I checked... It's a shame, but I guess it had to happen eventually.

10. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Motherpineappleing Nintendo.
    They couldn't have switched to a subscription model?

Well, hopefully someone will make a spoof DNS to replace NWFC's functions.

11. Helium Atom Male
    IGN: UhWut
    Level: 241
    Job: Shadower
    Guild: SquishyNoobs
    Alliance: Wings
    Virginia

OMG NOooooo... No more online Brawl!

Looks like I'll be shelling out for a WiiU just to play online smash...

12. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

This is exactly why you should never outsource your online support to a third party.

Kind of seems strange news to hear, considering that Nintendo will be releasing DS games on the WiiU VC.

13. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Don't assume they're going to have any multiplayer functions at all. They really half assed all the other virtual consoles this gen, they'll half ass the DS one too.

14. GLADIGATORS
    usa

VC in general is a massive scam

15. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Not really.

If they did it right, GBA/DS games would totally be worth Ł5 (GBA) and probably a bit more for the DS games (The ones worth playing anyway)... on the 3ds. Would beat the price of most of them second hand by a significant amount too.

Couldn't give fewer pineapples about them on Wii U though.
    I also don't know anyone who wants the NES games rereleased for the millionth time, so there's that.

16. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Edit: Nevermind, what I was thinking is ruined by video games that can't update.

17. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Unlikely. Given that it appears to have been done on a game by game basis (hence why some DS games can access WPA2 connections on DSi/3DSes, but others can't), it would probably require patching every game separately.

I do expect homebrewers to hack together a solution though, even if it's just faking a Nintendo server like the GTS downloads.

18. Default Re: Ninteno WiFi Connection Service being shut down on May 20th, 2014

Flashcarts will rise again!

19. GLADIGATORS
    usa

This would be nice. Incentive to homebrew has dipped tremendously now that both P:M and brawl minus have hackless set ups. Of course, homebrew'd wiis never really had compatibility with nintendo wfc and still didn't make their own, so maybe they can't.