IGN: Mundayo
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Xenon
    Guild: Dojo
    Alliance: Calamity
    Farm: HappyPlaces
    canada

Default Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Something that just came up to me while browsing through some old maple footage.

I honestly think if we had Pre Big Bang MapleStory in 2014, people wouldn't love it as much. I'm not necessarily saying that the quality was bad. I loved to grind hours away at monsters with friends, but I don't think it would appeal to a large enough audience to keep the game going.

Would you still be playing? Do you think the game would have died out?
    What are your thoughts?

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Have people changed that much in a decade? Has the gaming world?

3. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Yes and no. You can see many trends, plotlines, and other popular themes carry on over the generations. Some new ones pop up, and older ones get changed.
    But I don't exactly have the time to go through that right now, and I'll probably be to lazy to finish it later

4. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Change is needed in MMORPG's.
    I liked pre-bb, but I do not want to return to it.
    I do believe that if maple had been in pre bb stasis to the day of today I would have quit a long time ago.

5. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

No, I believe Maple would be dead and gone by now if it hadn't changed. And if it wasn't Big Bang, it would have been a different change. It would have HAD to have changed to still be going.

Pre-big bang maple wasn't as popular anyway, and its systems were outdated, slow and boring, even back then.

6. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

I don't think Big Bang was the best thing to do. But at the same time it was kind of neccesary.

Maybe the Big Bang just extended by some years the life time of Maplestory. Maybe not.

By the way, it's kind of funny to read those old Basil threads of 1 month or 2 before Big Bang. Pretty much everyone there said it was going to destroy a lot of good aspects in the game and even predicted what it's happening now

7. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

We are in the great silver plattern paradigm at the moment, but the industry is finally realizing that it might not be the best thing in the world to hold the players hands 24-7, if the talk among the Zelda developers is anything to go by.

If Pre Big Bang Maple came out today, it would fail misearably, but who knows what will happen along the line. I am at least extremely tired of down-dumbing and hand holding.

8. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Does anyone happen to have any GMS population statistics from 2007-2011? Curious to see the difference in the amount of players online compared to now.

I think the game would've survived without potential, assuming we got new bosses/PQs/classes/content, but if the game was just locked in a permanent state of no updates it'd die out.

9. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

I enjoyed Pre-BB. Pre-BB all you needed in the game was a high level equip (which you could craft) and scrolls. Pre-BB you could totally rock a godly scrolled Garnier all the way to 120+ and it wouldn't make a huge difference.

Nowadays there is a huge HUGE dependency on NX for Cubes, protection scrolls, blehblehbleh. I don't think Pre-BB would be hugely successful today, but without Big Bang Nexon probably would have pulled out of the American market. There just wasn't enough cash in Gachapon alone at the time.

10. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Honestly I think it'd be just as successful..

11. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Garnier is the only 'normal' speed claw in the game, so probably not but otherwise valid point =P

12. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of...er-mario-bros/

This is actually satire, but you would have believed it to be true if I didn't tell you that, wouldn't you?

13. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Financially, it would have been closed since there wasn't much revenue coming with what was just available, which was Gacahapon and NX clothing.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon

And pets, and 2x cards, and MTS, and weddings, and AP resets... I don't think MapleStory was operating at a loss pre-BB.

15. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

The MTS was a big loss of revenue for them, especially during the reign of DOTCurrency's tagged items and MTSnowy making so much money that he himself claimed that he could buy a car.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon

Every bit of NX in the MTS was money in Nexon's bank account. People bought NX to use in the MTS to get godly gear. The fact that the NX moved between player accounts (leaving a bit of tax behind) didn't change that.
    You can't buy a car from MTS.
    You can buy it from MoneyPak, Paypal, and whatever other real-world methods people use to buy and sell in-game gear. Shutting down the MTS moved all the dollars people were willing to spend on godly gear out of Nexon's hands and directly to the hackers'.

17. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

Or people that were fed up and quitted the game.

18. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Old pre-BB Maplestory was so much more grindy it made me wonder what the hell was I thinking spending 75% of my whole summer one year sitting on my ass training for ~2-3%/hour level 150+. I'll never be missing that. Also add in the huge HP discrepancy between classes. HP washing was pretty much mandatory for any class not a warrior. I remembered throwing about $300-$400 solely on HP washing equipment plus AP resets. Thank god HP washing is pretty much not needed anymore. The only real thing I miss was the ability to make NX thanks to Pieces of Time being worth a lot and making the most of it. Otherwise, there was so much bad compared to nowadays.

Anyone who wants the pre-BB Maplestory back is essentially looking through rose tinted goggles.

19. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Would Pre-BB Maple have made it to today? I highly doubt it. Majority of my old maple friends quit the game, because of how much of a grindfest the game was. If the game kept its same old system mechanics, I can't imagine what would have happened to the community.

Only thing I liked about Pre-BB Maple was my mass amount of friends who played the game. Other than that, never again...

20. Default Re: Would Pre Big Bang MapleStory Have Made It In 2014?

pineapple no.

Pre-BB MS was a relic of another era. Back when it launched, ALL MMOs were massive grindfests. No exceptions. World of Warcraft was the one that came out and changed the game by becoming successful BECAUSE it was so much less grindy than everything else. Then newer kMMOs started to embrace the model of having a level cap most players can reasonably expect to reach with content designed for that level cap. Big Bang was necessary to survive.

If MS came out now as it was back then..... it'd be viewed more objectively as opposed to with "rose tinted goggles". It would be torn apart and mocked by the masses. Sure, you'd get a few idiots who would praise if for being "old school" and "not catering to the coddled masses" by the especially dumb ones who don't quite get that time consuming =/= difficult.....