Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 120hz vs IPS?

1. Default 120hz vs IPS?

What type of monitor do you use, SP? A "gaming" type TN with ultra-fast response times, an IPS (or similar technology) panel with excellent color reproduction, or neither (cheap panel), and why? I'd like to play Starcraft II occasionally, and I'm trying to decide what type of monitor to buy. I hate blur, but I also hate backlight bleed and terrible color reproduction.

2. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

For a game like starcraft I feel that frames would be more important to you. I use this monitor; http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...-35108731.html

I prefer the framerate over color

3. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

!!!

I was looking at that exact model! How is it? Does it have any backlight bleed? Do you use this as your primary display/do everything on it, or do you have a multi-monitor setup?

EDIT: Actually was looking at the VG278HE.

4. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

its hard to hit the balanced parts
    TN: Higher max hz rate(144), lower input delay
    IPS: Higher viewing angle, higher color accuracy

some people take the middle man group and use Qnix monitors from South Korea and overclock the hz rate(some successfully to 120 hz), but since you apparently hate backlight bleeding, good luck on your endeavor as Qnix monitors are generally 2nd class samsung panels(some companies have a higher priority on panels e.g apple, samsung, dell, but lack the ability to overclock, or overclock well)

how you described what you want entirely(since i dont know what you hate more) there is no panel in existence(unless you want to go back old school and rock out CRT)

5. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Out of curiosity, how do you overclock a monitor?

6. Flatpanel TV
    usa

@Polantaris

http://120hz.net/showthread.php?683-...k-Start-Guide&

tl;dr: its just using a program to make a resolution/hz setting and patching the graphic driver

e.g my dinky 1080p vga based monitor i got refurbished for like 80$ runs at 75 hz instead of 60 hz. I cant get much past that stable

7. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Interesting. Thanks. No idea what my monitor can support but if I can get it above 60hz without any problems that'd be cool.

8. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Decided to hop on a perfect-pixel QNIX last friday. Not sure how long it'll take to ship, but most people are claiming 3 days or so (!!!) to the US from Korea, which is absolutely insane. I hope I get as lucky.

9. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

I prefer IPS, myself. You're still limited by the frames your GPU can push, and if you do online gaming any network latency is going to be much more perceptible than the response time of the monitor. I'm currently running a high-end Eizo IPS monitor next to a budget ASUS 60Hz TN panel, and the colors are noticeably better on the former. I can't see a difference in the response times at all.

10. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Went with the QNIX 2710. I paid a premium for it ($400), because I went with an "ultimate pixel perfect" model. Zero dead pixels gaurenteed, basically. I also got a Squaretrade 3 year warrenty to go with it, so I'm all set for quite a while. It was so worth it. This panel is absolutely gorgeous.

Here's a screenshot of a very tiny Maplestory in windowmode running at 1366x768.

Spoiler

11. Flatpanel TV
    usa

note that you can force maplstory to a larger resolution through registry value edits, though some maps will look funky, you gain the ability to see farther than other players do on the map

12. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Is there a tutorial for this anywhere? I'm interested.

13. Flatpanel TV
    usa

open regedit head through the folders HKey local machine>software>wow6432node>wizet>maplestory

here is basically where the generic MS data is stored(e.g how your computer knows which is the last logged in characters, which mini map mode your on etc)
    2 of the registry files exist, one is soresoltionheight, the other is soresolutionwidth, just double click, change the value from hexidecimal to decimal, enter your resolution, and change back to hexdecimal(it will convert for you). note that the game cannot be fully full resolution of your screen to work. it will fail to work so

14. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Its tending to want to reset one value or the other before I get ingame. I entered in 2049x1136 (1.5x [1366x768]), and it defaulted the 2049 back to 800. If I try 1920x1080, it changes the 1080 to 600.

15. Flatpanel TV
    usa

odd, i run the game at 1600x900, worked fine for me. i havent really tried anything else really except trying to do full 1080p till it rejected me

16. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

1600x900 got me past character creation, but crashed once I got in game (crash at black screen).

EDIT: 1080p works.
    EDIT 2: Holy hell, we desperately need a default 1920x1080 option for this game. Everything is so much better, especially the FM.

17. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Double posting because I have another question to ask about the QNIX 2710: Is it normal for the mouse cursor to smear when moving it slowly on black backgrounds, but have next to no smearing on white backgrounds? Other users are reporting no smear.

18. Flatpanel TV
    usa

its hard to think what "smearing" is(something like backlight blur?). From what i generally know about IPS in general, IPS tend to have worse black levels then their TN counterparts.

19. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Motion blur in such a way that it looks like the cursor is being smeared across the screen. Has some ghosting too.

This mostly happens on dark/blue/black backgrounds.

20. Default Re: 120hz vs IPS?

Did it happen with your other monitor at all? I would check GPU settings and monitor settings, but seeing a lot of blurring probably indicates that your pixel response times (i.e., the time it takes for a pixel to go from dark to light and vice versa) are really awful. Do you also notice any input lag? IPS panels do tend to be slower than TN panels on average, but good ones shouldn't be noticeably slow.