Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

If they were to find an ancient post like that inexplicably, why wouldn't they simply inform the site owner and give him or her an ultimatum to delete it? I could understand if you had lewd posts or threads within the first few pages of any subforum, but this is nonsensical to say the least and it seems like Adsense has incredibly unrealistic expectations. How many times have they done this to Southperry at this point, it's been at least 3 or 4 times...

2. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

3 times in the last 12 months. 3/11, 7/29, 2/3

3. Heavily armored Humvee
    IGN: TheSovereignBowi
    Server: LoL NA
    Level: 30
    Job: The League
    Guild: Of Draven

Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Should we just start planning ahead for the next one some time in late summer?

4. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

I'd be ok with an old thread wipe. It already happened with the funhouse didn't it? I don't see what's the big deal with making it happen in other sections with threads that no one should care about.

5. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

A forum without an archive is useless IMO. One of the main advantages of a forum to me is the fact that I could go back and search information from years ago and read them. The inability to do this ruins the point of forums.

A bit silly to destroy a batch amount of old posts just because Google is being a child.

6. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

When said child is what keeps you alive and has no viable competition, what exactly are your alternatives to appeasement?

7. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Why keep an archive of social nonsense and awkward attention seeking? It's not like anyone comes here specificaly for those sections anyway. Other than the occasional sorry soul that can't quite let go of course.

Just keep the game related stuff and destory the rest after a few months or so.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Lol'd hard at the thread title changing.

9. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

They rejected our first appeal with no further info given and this is one of the only threads they viewed and that was literally the most offensive thing I could find amidst the 19 they looked at.

On the bright side I got 1000 characters to enter the 2nd appeal instead of the puny 250 from the first.

10. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

It is still easier to mass delete than combing through every single thread from 5 years ago and deleting posts that break the rules. That would be extremely time consuming. And you can bet seeing how things have gone, if adsense removes funding it will be for and old thread, not a new one. Mods enforce the obscenity rule pretty swiftly now (for the most part), so it is unlikely that anything posted now would get our adds removed before a mod deletes it.

11. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

What kind of information can you get from most rants in angry dome, anyway? And for what purpose would you go to very old social section threads?

12. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Why can't we have both and just archieve the information outside the actual forum?

13. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

It would be a good idea to block TinyPic as an image host as well. In the past they've reused old image URLs which essentially switches one image for another. It was pretty popular on Southperry back around 2009-2010 and looking through old threads from that time period has the potential to trigger more issues with AdSense. Blocking it ASAP will likely save you some headaches later on.

14. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Forgive me if this has already been suggested, but would it help if we were to try finding you viable alternatives to AdSense? The attempt may not bare any fruit, but I figure it would be worth a shot, at least.

15. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

The attempt is worse than fruitless, it tends to be outright harmful, because it requires rewriting unpleasant chunks of the forum to replace it's ad handling with whatever we're trying at the current time and then waiting up to 90 days to find out the new provider is absolute crap and can't sustain us.

We've already trialed several small scales, like lijit and project wonderful and whatever else was in the bucket of doom. I have lists upon lists of providers, most of which have one issue or another that's prevented us from using them except as a last ditch effort.

There is no try before you buy with these things, they all have exclusivity requirements so the switch to a new provider is cold turkey.

16. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

OMG that Google vid, I could not stop laughing!

There are a lot of ways to look at this:
    One way that it could be seen, is as karma or that the spirits of the forgotten posters have come back to seek their revenge from beyond the Southperry graveyard.

You could also look at it as a form of intermediate trolling on the part of Google. While the clip is meant to inform, it has several actual examples of the forbidden material. You could say that those examples do not count but the video specifically states that cartoons are included, so if I were moderating that clip it alone would be worth several violations.

The difference between a regular post, trolling and rule pushing is that a regular post will at least TRY to stay within the rules. That is how you can usually tell the difference between a legit thread or not. (cough, cough)

It is also saying something that a dusty old thread would even be worth mentioning, without at least sending a warning first.

In any case, a person or group in this kind of situation would have 2 (maybe more) choices: Either conform or rebel against tyranny.
    While opposing oppression in the wider world is seen as good, it does not always work so well. (for example, Western nations trying to help in the Middle east only to have their efforts backfire most of the time) Depending on the fairness of the system, perfection tends to be something that is relatively hard to accomplish. (shrugs)

Spoiler

17. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

18. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Something I almost did not consider is that they may not be trolling at all and actually want a "literal" enforcement of the rules and policies. Which sounds good on paper but essentially means that the regulations of Southperry would probably need to be reworked in order to be safe enough for even the youngest user.
    SP's new target demographic

19. Default Re: This is why, people, this is why.

Shenanigans and Angry Dome are removed until further notice to determine if they still contain content that is in violation.

If their removal satisfies google they'll be purged and re-enabled with, you guessed it, even stricter moderation.

If this isn't enough to satisfy google and we can't get an answer from them as to what is actually irking them at this point, we're moving providers and you should all brace for the impending pain of that process.

20. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

I was a bit worried when I saw those sub-forums had disappeared. A purge makes sense though.