1. Default Happy Chinese new year!

I will always remember this holiday from that Red envelope event a few years ago and from Jackie Chan adventures, where they were usually talking about one of the 12 talismans that also match the real life Chinese calendar.

2. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

Happy Chinese New Year! Don't forget to say it in Chinese too, or apparently you'll have shamed your family for the year.

Question: do you follow up with what I translate to "may you get a lot of red envelopes" or do you follow up with "may you have a prosperous life"... There was a debate between a few friends about that. I say the latter (I don't want to provide pin-yin because I'm a poor sod that can't say it right anyway), but some people haven't heard of it. The first one rhymes with happy chinese new year, if it matters :s

(look how little I know about my language :D...)

3. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

I don't know what you're referring to either (only thing I can think of is "恭喜发财,红包拿来" which basically means "may you prosper...now gimme moolah").

There are plenty of follow ups, actually. Sometimes it even varies depending on the animal of the year (e.g. I'm seeing lots of "马到成功"; first character means horse).

A very happy Lunar New Year to you too.

4. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

Remember to spend time with your family. Gong xi fa cai!

5. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

Best luck to all of you! I don't know if your country got this but hope you guys will got lots of lucky money :D
    And oh year, it's first day of Lunar New Year and Bingo, Yut and Fly Kite is gone from GMS, how sad

6. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

I live next to a Buddhist temple. This is the first time I've heard a peep.

7. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

What does Buddhism have to do with Chinese new year?

8. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

Chinese Buddhist temple. This is the first time I've heard anything other than the occasional windchime.

9. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

Ooh. The first one is what I meant by "may you get a lot of red envelopes", but yeah, "gimme monies" sounds more accurate, haha...

I'm going to pretty much butcher this since I say it in a different dialect and can't read chinese for the love of me, but the pin-yin for the second one went something like "sheng ti jian kan"

I can proudly say that I managed to read the first half of the horse one. Time to go celebrate my newfound chinese skills.

Happy lunar* new year

10. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

There are a lot of alternatives. For example, 新年快乐 (Happy New Year), 恭喜发财,红包拿来 (which translates to may you prosper and all that, hand over red packets). From what I understand,马到成功 means work like a horse towards success.

With that, Happy Lunar New Year! :D

11. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

馬年快樂~祝大家萬事如意,學業有成,年年有餘,平步青雲,身體健康!

12. Default Re: Happy Chinese new year!

身体健康 (shen ti jian kang). Means being healthy, so "may you be healthy".