1. Default Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

I'm not entirely sure if this an appropriate place to ask this but I've been wondering if it's possible to get the backgrounds of various areas as separate images.

Like taking the background of this area: http://puu.sh/6y389.jpg

and turning into an image that can be used for a desktop background. I've seen on the wiki as well as a few of slipyslidy's OST video images using the actual layout of the map and was wondering if it's possible to do so with backgrounds as well. I'm sure it is but I have no clue how exactly

2. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

That's awesome, thank you! I suppose I'll try and figure out how to do this in my spare time.

3. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

are they in the extractions?

4. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

doesn't look like it. Seems to be all updates and such for the game rather than images such as the one above. that's just looking through the titles though.

5. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

i can't remember if when a new area comes out the BG's are extracted, i know the "maps" (the parts you walk on) are. you'd have to check the extraction for a new area release, i think extractions don't have it however.

6. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

MapleMap has a gallery of rendered maps for you, but the background (the parts you don't walk on... as @ShinkuDragon would say) is not rendered since it's dynamic. There are also some programs that can render the maps for you, which you might use instead of MapleMap (or if MapleMap doesn't have the map in its gallery, for example).

7. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

They're dynamic?

I always imagined them to be one giant image that scrolls as you walk on the map in proportion to your location. For example, if the camera is at the center of the map, then the background is focused at the center of the image, and anything that's out of bounds just doesn't get drawn. I always figured that's why the resolution change resulted in black bar backgrounds on smaller areas - because the image wasn't resized to compensate for the extra resolution.

8. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

What programs?! I used to manually reconstruct backgrounds for my video thumbnails from MapleMap and that could take several hours and they were never perfect.

I never knew how f'ucking complicated the background is in zakum altar. It's ridiculous.

9. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

These backgrounds are not just one solid image, they are composed of various smaller images.

10. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

I'd imagine they could be, but it's pretty obvious to tell that in most maps, the backgrounds are not single images. Just by moving around a bit.

Makes it more life-like and stuff.

I was just mentioning them as an alternative to what you can already do.

11. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

The newer maps, sure, but not most of them, unless their backgrounds have been updated.

12. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

Interesting. I found out how to access the backgrounds and since they come in multiple images I might be using the renders as sort of a layout for me piecing it back together for some areas..

13. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

I'm actually having trouble locating these background piece images. Does anyone know which .WZ file are they located in?

Edit: Ha, It was right infront of me the entire time and I skipped over it!
    Last edited by theharddrinkingapplejack; 2014-01-27 at 04:07 PM.

14. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

The background has to be in multiple images to create a feeling of depth. You can tell because images that are "closer" to the character scroll on the screen faster as the character moves left or right. Images that are "further away" move more slowly and stay on the screen longer.

Rendering these into images for your own use is going to be a huge pain.

15. Default Re: Is it possible to get level backgrounds as separate images?

I'm aware of the difficulty and length it will take to do so but hey, some challenge is a good motivation to do it!