1. Default Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

http://maplestory.nexon.net/news/mai...reports/00HZC/

2. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Oh? Didn't quite know that was intended. How about you just give us dynamic tooltips for skills instead. That'd be great.

3. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

a what?

4. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

When a skill gets modified by another skill, change the tooltip for the original skill.

Example: Skill A has 1000% damage. Skill B increases Skill A damage by 20% (multiplied). Skill A tooltip now reads 1200% damage.

5. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Why? And it uses the same icon too... :|

6. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Because that's not accurate. Rarely, if ever, are skill% actually modified. Instead they just add +td% when calculating that skills damage.

7. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Does that change anything? What the player SEES is still a 20% increase in the final damage that the skill does, so let the tooltip reflect that. In my opinion, it's just a QOL change, making it more user-friendly. The specifics of the mechanics remain hidden from the player (as always), but they see that their skill will do bigger numbers.

8. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Yes it does change things, because no, it's not. There's a difference between a skill becoming 20% stronger, from your example 1000% -> 1200%, to getting 20% more total damage. If you don't have any total damage (which is a rarity these days), it would be the same, otherwise, the damage increase would be at most 20%, if you already had, say, 10% total damage, from like, the DA or Kanna link, that would put you at 30% total total damage, from 10%, which is 18% more damage.

I can't say for certain whether this is the case for a majority of the time, because I'm positive there were a handful of skills that actually increased damage multiplicatively, but recently all the damage increasing skills have been like this.

9. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

I see what you're saying. Now, I'm confused, because when I moved my Kanna/DA link skills to a character, my range increased. How does that fit in to your description? Simply asking for clarification here.

10. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

I'm not sure how to explain it exactly, because I guess it's hard to say that they're the same, but also different; basically, all the total damage things which are strictly total damage (the ones that apply to all your skills), are always factored into range (since RED), like Kanna, DA, AB Links, Total Damage potentials, Kaiser's Transfig, Kaiser's Catalyze, Demon Slayer's Dark Meta, Paly's Void Elemental, etc. Also, most skills that claim they're % Attack are actually % Total Damage, which is... confusing.

Honestly, it makes your range "fake", as some people around here have called it, because in order to calculate your damage, it has to divide all that stuff out and add it to your hypers, boss damage, etc, before multiplying it all with your real range.

Oh, except for DoT, that's calculated off the "fake" range.

11. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Basically, Nexon is not being careful with all their "% damage" in their tooltext, because many of their stuff have the same variable despite being worded differently. "Increases the damage of [blah blah] skill by 20%" and "increases damage by 20%" really uses the same variable.

Hadriel

12. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

So, basically you're both saying...

Nexon is careless. Which is the real reason for all the other problems in the game as well. I'd love to see this game optimized at some point!

On my point: is it possible to have dynamic tooltips with the way the game is currently coded?

13. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Based on the previous discussion, it wouldn't make any sense to make skill tooltips dynamic, because the numbers would change wildly depending on your current total damage.

Nexon could just make the tooltips work as you described, but then it'd be inaccurate. (Then again, Nexon has put plenty of things in game that are inaccurate). They could also make it work as you thought it did (increasing the skill % rather than total damage when using the skill) and that would solve all the problems.

AFAIK, I don't think we know exactly how the client handles tooltips.

14. Default Re: Bug Extermination Report - January 22, 2014

Yeah, I don't even know at this point. =/

15. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

In the case of %td skills applying to range, Nexon isn't careless. They responded to a frequent player request to do this. We asked them to do it. It only really bothers people like me who try to run the numbers.

16. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Wow. "We" are a group of dangerous people who should never be listened to.

17. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    usa

This is the problem with democracies everywhere.