Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

1. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

The fact that all the buffs without Cooldowns have a different timer.

Who benefits from that, seriously?

Also there are pineappleton of untradable items that have the same effects and pomegranate that don't stack. Who decided there need to be 10 versions of Power Elixirs that are untradable and all have different item IDs?

2. Neon Atom Male
    IGN: WaxMuseum
    Server: Galicia
    Level: 200
    Job: Captain
    Guild: UniquePwns
    Alliance: Miracle
    australia

Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Not being able to rejoin a party in the middle of a boss fight if you DC.

3. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

1/1'ing instead of fixing the damage/defense balance and/or adding interesting boss mechanics that all character classes can fight.

On that note, the distinct lack of a real combat system. There's no depth, it's just "Attack until it dies," usually with a side of, "IF IT TOUCHES YOU YOU DIE AND LOSE 12+ HOURS OF MIND NUMBING WORK!"

The Untradeable system. Absolutely no reason non-class based items should be locked out to everyone except one character on your account of 20+ characters. When the game is as character-based as it has become, where you need to make a million characters, this is simply unacceptable.

Costing $10 to make an untradeable item tradeable ONCE.

The Link Skill system requiring logoffs.

The inability to change characters on demand; having to completely relog with the chance of the game breaking on you while trying.

The entirety of the Free Market System, especially the Free part.

The lack a KS-prevention system of any kind. Lost more than a few items in my days because someone running through the map killed everything and they just HAPPENED, RIGHT THEN, to drop something rare, usually what I was there for.

The lack of end-game content, instead the grind to 200/250 which, honestly, loses its point by 170.

I still do not understand why they continue to stand by that mechanic with every new character.

Worse still when they give you buffs that last like a minute but have no cooldown. Seriously, what the flying fu'ck is the point?

4. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Buccaneers and the death count system (especially on Magnus). For a class that needs to line up all its hypers, buffs, and its proc to do decent damage, its really hard to do this on bosses that can 1 or 2 shot you. Plus dying early on in stimulate cuts it off, ruining damage output. Their solution to this outdated mechanic is "buff freezers", but that sounds like more of a cash grab than a serious solution.

5. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

I've always thought it was referring to capitalism.

6. Cash2 Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

It's funny because a lot of these archaic mechanics are remedied by an NX solution.

• Scissors for trading gear.
    • Buff savers and auto-buff for obnoxious buffs (do I seriously need to buff a 20-30watk skill that's self buff only? why can't you just give me 20-30watk...).
    • Pets vacuuming the floor of all the stuff you can only pick up every second or so.
    • Inventory space for your untradeable/nonstackable/expiring items.
    • Store Permits for old market system (a hired merchant probably costs less than the power needed to leave my computer on all night...).
    • Teleport Rocks for old transportation. Pet-Ignore looting for stupid stuff like Unagi and freaking arrows that have no purpose anymore.

Onto my main point:

Most of the stats in the game are beginning to be more and more useless. Accuracy is a joke and avoid was nerfed too along with the fact that there's a lot of unavoidable stuff anyway. WDEF/MDEF I could really care less when a boss does a % of my HP.

In fact, HP and MP are becoming trivial when bosses will either kill you in one shot or two. It's quite fantastic to die in less than a second with 60k HP. MP is a joke because there wouldn't even be a point where having more MP is good (for mages, it's literally an extension of your HP). Like, if I get 1/1'd and seduced at Chaos Zakum, I could use Hero's Will to break out of seduce and heal up... but Hero's Will requires MP which was already drained. So having 1,000 or 2,000,000 MP would have no difference in this case. If Magnus' balls 1shot me, what's the point of having 2,000,000 HP? Just what is the point of having your MP block damage for your HP when Magic Guard is a passive/toggle/pretty much never expiring undispellable buff? Why not just do away with MP altogether and just stick with HP since that's all it is anymore?

In most games, your mana/MP/SP/energy/power meter/magic/stamina/etc is something you carefully manage because it is usually a limited resource. When you run out, you have to rely on your own physical strengths usually.

In MapleStory, everything you could ever do arbitrarily requires MP and it's not much of a scarce resource as much as it is an inconvenient barrier. Attacking costs MP, Buffing costs MP, transforming costs MP, moving around costs MP. When you have no MP, what can you do? You literally can't even attack at this point. So when EVERYTHING IN THE GAME needs MP, why does MP even exist? It's always going to be full, if it gets low, it'll be topped off until it is full, and if you have 0 then for all intents and purposes you're Sealed. You could go up and whack an enemy for pitiful damage, or you would try to instantly replenish it with a potion, or you die... whichever's the more convenient and available option. Is there a way to manage MP in a way that you won't have 0? No because every action you do requires it. So "managing" a resource that's required to do anything that's easily replenished that can only be a problem when a boss specifically bones you and there's a potion cooldown is just a hindrance. An inconvenient barrier.

7. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

I honestly never considered that. Then again, when I first started playing I was like 14 and it wasn't exactly obvious...so I never considered any other meaning.

8. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Another thing is how every class can do everything. It used to be that you had to make careful choices about your character, I for example had to decide how much I wanted to put into Blizzard/Thrust. A Warrior had to pick his weapon, Mages usually preferred one element or the other. Even sooner, you had to pick a class, and they all had strengths and weaknesses. It wasn't a perfect system, or even a good one but it added a layer of depth.

I don't think every class being able to get huge deeps and zoom around a map and max every stat (of the few that matter) and ignore every status and max every skill and everyone can get up to 200% boss damage and 90% ignore and 100% critical and all that jazz. It doesn't sit well. Your class and skill point allocation should matter. Hyper Skills sort of do that but not really since anything that boosts mob training is trash since you can't get better than 1hkoing everything.

Also everything about nebulites.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Gonna add my own:

Losing EXP when you die.
    Profession Recipes that only work once or last 24 hours. This doesn't really keep supply of such items down, it's just annoying as heck. Just make the materials harder to obtain or something.
    Using scrolls that have random chance of failure to be one of the game's main source of improving yourself. Make it guaranteed but cost more, or require some sort of resources.
    Leveling Character Traits from scratch on all new characters.

You have no idea how much more NX I'd potentially spend if this happened.

Holy crap, questing to level will actually be good for non-Zeros?! Should have happened a long time ago really. Guess KMS received massive positive feedback on Zero's quest system and decided it was a safe move to apply to the rest of Maple.

Even Diablo 3 loots better than Maplestory. You just walk over gold and you pick it all up at once, while individual items you still gotta pick up 1 by 1. I could also bring up WoW's looting system but that'll just be very unfair.

It really is tiresome having to rebuff so much. It's why Zero feels so right, when all you gotta mind is a 10 minute buff and retoggling on one buff if you died. Maybe if all buffs lasted 10+ minutes it'd be more acceptable. WoW already learned from WoW Classic that 5 minute INDIVIDUAL blessings in raids were a terrible idea, and eventually made it last 30 minutes, to blessing a whole group, to lasting an hour, to finally blessing a whole raid. At the very least if buffs lasted that long then there'd be less time wasted standing still to rebuff. Or heck, make more of the buffs passives or toggles. Mostly buffs that are always on and only affect you.

Weapon Boosters? I don't see why it's not a passive.
    Iron Body? Don't see when you shouldn't have it on.
    Self-Haste? Enough said.
    Shadow Partner? Toggle seems to make the most sense.
    Dark Clarity/Channel Karma? Sensible players will always have them on. Might as well be passive.
    ANY self damage reduction abilities that's not Magic Guard? Should be a passive.

I can keep going on, but you get the picture. All self-buffs might as well last a really long time, be a passive, or can be toggled on/off.

10. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

To add on to the looting issue, I don't see why Nexon's servers can't allow you to decide who loots what by checking the packets' timestamps. Ok I know this opens up alot of issues but at least it doesn't disallow looting/doing and action after pressing my loot key once!

Hadriel

11. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Okay, well when I did first start playing I thought it was a place that gave out free stuff. When I figured out that wasn't the case, I assumed capitalism.

12. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Funny, I'd spend almost nothing if CS inventories were shared.

13. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

The fact that you can't change your underwear color.

14. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

MP is only a problem for me at bosses with pot cool downs or at dojo and only happens because as a bowmaster I'm constantly running 2 mp draining attacks. I guess that hindrance can be remedied with an evan card, but yes relying on mp for literally everything sucks hard

15. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

Nexon could maybe remedy this by adding a new link skill that heals every1 for % hp/mp. Like 5% hp/mp every 4 seconds, i think that would solve most classes issues with hp/mp

Or better yet, give aran/evan link skills that correspond similar to there char card, % Hp/Mp drain, That be neat, or make the Evan/Aran card instead of activating every few mins procs each attack but lessen the amount it heals to 1-2%? at 60% chance to activate, they can fiddle with the numbers, that way all classes can enjoy it without having to give up a link skill

16. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

For me, I'd at the very least be getting an additional permanent pet + usual permanent pet gear if CS inventories were shared (we all know how expensive that can become), as well as even considering permanent pet equips that can be scrolled for attack. I'm an incredible scrooge on getting NX clothes/pets for non-Explorers unless they really really appealed to me (such as Phantom/Mechanic/Zero) solely due to no cash shop sharing. Of course it also makes leveling non-Explorers a bigger pain since I can't just walk over loot and pick it all up in an instant; mainly for those quests that require you to pick up 50-100 pieces of whatever, and picking up for the quest drops is taking longer than killing the monsters themselves. :|

17. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

For me, it's "Why would I bother buying a new pet/outfit when I can just use the ones I already have on every single character?" if there was shared CS inventories.

18. Default Re: Archaic mechanics in Maple.

I think the best compromise to the cash shop situation would be to make the inventory shared between all characters but require a scissor-like, minimal but non-negligible fee for each transfer (per item or all at once) between characters. You quit your old character and want to move on to the new one? - Pay a relatively small sum and you can move your items over to your new main. You want to regularly switch the items between several characters which you play often? You're better off buying multiple sets rather than racking up transfer costs.