Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

I have been affected by error code 38 for almost 3 weeks now. I would just like to help confirm suspicions and provide additional information.

-I have experienced error code 38 first with monster life for 2-3 months, then with cash shop, and finally with lockdown when entering PIC a few days after cash shop.
    -The character affected is my “main” character.
    -I first experienced this error upon changing channels. It may be important to note that I had almost a full inventory of equips from boss runs before changing channels.
    -The ONLY time I was able to successfully log in was after removing all 10/12 link skills from my main character. It only worked once, though. Subsequent attempts to add/remove link skills did not work for future logins. Shortly after logging in, I attempted to change channels and crashed with the same error. I made the mistake of not clearing most of my inventory and am unable to log in ever since.
    -I don’t remember suffering from error code 38 from cash shop three years ago.
    -Yes, my character has expanded inventories.
    -Yes, my character was created and used before the shutdown of MTS.

Additional Info
    -Since I am a collector, I usually have a lot of stuff in my inventories such as chairs and untradeable equips. I also have a robust monster familiar collection (over 200+) , an active level 32 monster life farm with many monsters, as well as a large medal collection.

2. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

That seems to be a copy paste of my case.

However, I didn't even touch link skills. I have my doubts over those being the cause, since so far, everyone locked down got his character breifly freed for a small ammount of time, before returning to lockdown.

The rest is exactly spot on, except the error 38 back then. Ironically, that doesn't rule it out. I only got affected by it like the day before they fixed it. AND it did let me log in once like this one, too, if I remember correctly. Hell, even my monster life farm was at lv 32 when it happened...

Wait a second... Wouldn't you have bought 5 monster spaces? Having a total of 22 spots? Maybe it has to do with it? I think it may have happened soon after buying a second barn space, too.

3. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

This is interesting. I have bought a few extra monster slots, yet my monster life farm currently has 17 monster spots at level 32, which is kind of weird since it should be more...? I have also bought two extra barn spaces, but I'm not quite sure whether the error occurred before or after I purchased them. However, I strongly believe it has more to do with the amount of items in your inventories, though not to say that monster life may not have also contributed to this error. Have you ever tried removing your link skills from your character and logging in? If not, I was hoping you or anyone who hasn't tried it can test my theory to confirm that it is indeed an inventory issue. Assuming you have most, if not, all of your link skills on the affected character, see if you can log in successfully after removing all of them. If you can, try to remove as many items from your inventories as possible and see if you still get error code 38. I know it may not be as simple and straightforward as this because there are many factors involved, but it is worth a shot. I'm just hoping that enough of my items expire over the next few weeks to allow me to log in temporarily and clean out my inventories.

4. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

I have tried indeed. The interesting part is that I was able to log back in without any carefully planned plan, since I thought it wasn't important like last time (for me at least). This problem has a weird origin. Also, your 17 slots... Did you actually use the coupons, or are they still with the "decoration" storage like the daily boxes? You still need to use them.

Anyway, I think it could be interesting to see other's farms, to try to find a link.

5. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

Enough data has finally been gathered and a few conclusions can be made:
    • The "Lockdown" Error Code : 38 is, in fact, caused by too many "slots" being taken up on a particular character.
    • Both the Inventory (Equip, Use, Etc., Setup, Cash) and Link Skills can be implicated as taking up "slots".
    • Freeing "slots," whether Inventory or Link Skill, can unlock a character.
    • Link Skills are counted individually, meaning each addition of the Cygnus Knight stackable link skill counts as one "slot" e.g. if you had the Dawn Warrior and Wind Archer Link Skills stacked, it counts as two "slots".

Ideas or notions that need more evidence or refinement include:
    • Items in the Cash Inventory slots may or may not count towards the limit. We are working on the premise that they do, however no empirical evidence exists that indicates whether it does or does not. This is a result of being unable to enter the Cash Shop. The earliest this may be tested is January 22, 2014 with an expiring item.
    • There is some discrepancy in the data that either points to some things not occupying "slots" (like items in the Cash tab) or some things occupying multiple "slots".

Avenues of further study and questions unanswered, some requiring methodology to be developed to prevent permanent account lockdown:
    • Do items in pouches, bags and the like take up "slots" individually or does the vessel count as one "slot"?
    • Do equipped items count towards the overall limit of "slots"?
    • Do the Monster Life, Medals or Familiar systems contribute to "LD" EC : 38?

Please continue for the actual data collected. This isn't my data nor are they my notes, I simply cleaned them up, omitted personal information, replaced shorthand with jargon that is used in this thread and formatted them for my brother.

Spoiler

A lot of what you say is true for my brother too, both in the first paragraph and that bit at the end, as an avid collector his inventory is full all the time, his Familiar collection is hovering at or above 500, his Monster Life Farm is at least Level 35 because I know he has the milk cartons and he has many Medals.

EDIT: Oh, wow, I was formatting for such a long time I missed two relatively lengthy posts.

You hit it right on the head, as my brother's work indicates, it is highly inventory and Link Skill dependent.

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

Interesting.

My main is getting error 38 on Monster Life only (for now? I really hope I'm not jinxing myself...) and I have maxed Equip, Use and Etc inventories, each with no more than 4 free slots at any given time (bad packratitis here). My Setup is also near full, but I can't recall how many expansions it has.
    Level 37 farm with 24 monster slots and 4-slot barn.
    12 link skills, only one cygnus knight.

7. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

There is something to be learned from your character, seeing as how you only exhibit Stage One Error Code : 38 while having a hefty number of items, enough that I am surprised it has not progressed further, no jinx intended.

Do you mind if I pick for information? What is the situation/robustness of your Medals, Mounts, Familiars and Crusader Codex? I visit your farm daily so I can scout most of that myself. However, do you have items in storage i.e. unused Coupons, Buildings, Decorations, etc.?

8. Orbital Bee Cannon

I know, that is why I posted.

Monster Life: I have 14 types of buildings in storage, 24 types of decorations, 4 types of monster boxes, a pile of daily giftboxes, and three types of waru coupon.

Medals: 85, Mounts: 8, Codex: 463 cards, Familiars: 8 live ones, 47 expired.
    And update to inventory: got 84 setup slots total, 1-3 free most of the time. 32 cash slots used.
    Last edited by SaptaZapta; 2014-01-10 at 04:13 AM.

9. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

http://maplestory.nexon.net/communit...e12%26nxid%3D6

First post on that page claims that having too much equipment cause the monster life error code: 38, so try it if it possible.

On a side note, how the heck did the people who purchased the max inventory slot package a while ago not get this error.

10. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

im not suffering about error 38 myself but my guild leader is...

I dont know much about his case other than

1) he plays monster life lot because he like it (idk his farm lvl, but it should be above lvl 14)
    2) he is from outside NA (from Argentina)
    3) he have max inventory slots on everything (etc, use, equip, set-up, even storage if im not wrong)
    4) it happens on his main character
    5) he boss/ farms ores a lot, he also collect chairs/mounts so I assume he has only few free slots on every tab

11. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

It's been established that inventory is the cause, thank you for your contribution though.

It isn't simply having max inventory slots, it is how many of those are occupied along with other circumstances that contribute, like Link Skills for sure and maybe some of the things I asked about in the posts prior to yours.

12. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

I'm mostly sure it's not link skills. There has to be another thing for sure. Because I stripped my main of link skills and character deck cards, Resold all spare stuff in monster life, even released 2 monsters, and it won't unlock.

My 100% sure facts are these so far:

-Locked down people were only able to return one single time. Not one more, not one less.
    -They usually returned at a point where people start to test it out, starting with the only thing that could alter their main: link skills. (I didn't touch anything on my main and still got back as everyone else)
    -The ammount of time you get back varies on unknown reasons.
    -It probably has to do with Inventory items, as the code usually tries to load something from there, but it can be other things, like animations that don't exist. Like Gollux pet's swimming animation, or assist attacks from Zeros back in the day.

Basically, I think what we should focus on is:
    -What circumstance starts to repeat itself all the time, stops briefly, then continues?
    -Why are our characters affected by it?
    -What triggers this?

I'm starting to think that if you get locked down, after a set ammount of time, it gets unlocked, and some set time after, it relocks...

If it was a set time, it'd be easy to locate. I remember I was able to log back in the next day, for like 2 hours? Maybe less?

Could it be something like this?:

First lockdown -> 12 hours -> Temporary release -> 12 hours -> final lockdown.

Anyone has any possible pattern?

13. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

Did you read my post, relatively conclusive evidence for Link Skills was given. The same goes for Inventory. "Lockdown" Error Code : 38 can be induced and rescued from, induced again and rescued from again. I can almost guarantee those two things are contributory. I am looking for are other things now. Things that explain SaptaZapta freedom compared to the nervous Inventory watching my brother goes through.

You probably are over the threshold even without Link Skills so removing Link Skills would do nothing for you.

If a random lockdown reoccurs on his account below his limit, I will let you know though, just to supply information to your temporal hypothesis.

14. Orbital Bee Cannon

Edited my post above with more accurate collection counts.

Also, it seems I've advanced to Stage 2... Cash Shop error 38.

15. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

I did read it, but I'm just not too sure about link skills on their own. I'm mostly certain it's about items, yeah, because he keeps the threshold on those. But I'm very doubtful of link skills. Maybe the second lockdown can be delayed if you are careful. It could be both the time theory, added with an item limit...

Maybe he got locked down, freed on himself, and then keeps it at bay by not having too many items. I have one little question about this. Not counting the lockdown 3 years ago, if he ever suffered it, did he get lockdown just 1 time and avoide the second, or got a second lockdown and scape that one? If he did scape the second, you might be on to something.

Oh crap. Be careful, lockdown might be inminent. Make sure to be careful about what could trigger it if you end up with it. And in case, be careful with your inventory. Maybe you want that equipment out of that character or those mesos you'll need on a mule, aside from being a possible cause. I know I'm temporarily broke because of that. :p

ALSO. Try combinations if you can to get rid of the cash shop error 38. Maybe if you have the correct number, they can find the glitch.

16. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

If some of you have been following the threads for this error on Nexon forums, someone posted a temporary fix for the character lockdown. It may sound dubious, but it actually worked for me. It could be worth it giving this a try. Quoting Asylum from Nexon forums (sorry, I'm still new here so I don't know how to quote properly from other sources):

"Guys I think I found a temp fix for the character lockout. Switch your window mode and change resolution to anything other than 800x600. After typing your pic, immediately click and hold the maple window, this will freeze maplestory until you release it. Then let go of it until the screen turns black and hold on to maple again for a few seconds (10 or more to be sure), but be quick or else maple will close and leave you with an error. After holding for a few seconds, the window will switch resolution, if it doesn't try releasing the window until the resolution changes. Then wait until you can access your character. If this doesn't work, I suppose maplestory randomly decided to let me on my character, but don't dismiss this after one try. Try to add variations and don't give up until after your umpteenth failed attempt. I think rapidly spamming alt+enter may also work as a last resort.

Other than this, you can try unlinking your farm, link skills, and character cards if you haven't tried already."

I'm just going to copy and paste here what I posted on Nexon forums.

"I had my doubts about this at first, but surprisingly this method actually worked for me today. It did take me several tries to get it to work, but eventually I was able to log in. Sometimes I would crash with an error when holding on to the maple window to freeze it and there were times when I got the message "Cannot connect to server." I don't know how or why this works, but like Asylum said, don't give up after one try. Keep trying until you just can't take it anymore. After logging in, I immediately threw out my expired ice cubes/santa boxes and thoroughly cleaned out my inventories. Now, I am able to log in normally without any problems. I can even enter cash shop without crashing. It's amazing how you were able to find a way around this so kudos to you. I hope this fix helps others, as it did for me. Good luck to all of you. I guess we all have to keep an eye on our inventories from now on until Nexon permanently finds a fix for this error."

Please let me know whether you are able to successfully log in using this method. I took an item count of my inventories just now (equip, use, etc, setup, cash) and it came out to a total of 229 "slots" occupied.

*Looks like I still can't enter monster life.
    Last edited by PandaHugs; 2014-01-10 at 02:15 PM.

17. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

It is in the Spoiler, he purposefully induced a "LD" EC: 38ed by adding one item at a time, removed one Link Skill and was freed from it. Added one more item, and was "LD" EC: 38ed again, removed another Link Skill to test Cygnus Knight Link Skills and was freed again. These experiments were all done sequentially without any time in between them, other than restarting Maplestory when "LD" EC : 38 was induced.

18. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

Ooooh! Then I read it wrong! I thought it was more detailed description of the same thing. Ok, I'll give you that, I think you are on the right track.

I have a theory about this, now that I got it clearer. It's most likely that additional data from those characters are causing some sort of interference. And most likely, overlooked data. That "overlooked" data could easily be things that aren't included in kms. Things I'm considering are:

-Katanas and fans for Sengokus
    -Alien PQ equipment
    -Etc items from "exclusive" areas
    -Old Silent crusade items (Nobody in their right mind would drop the enhanced exp ring unless they reached lv 200 and never considered another use for exp)
    -Etc untradeable items to craft lv 150 sengoku armor
    -Event items, like oda coins, for example

My theory is that a particular item has something weird in it, and shuffles the data around. That makes the scrambled mess interfere when past a certain... "value". This value can be modified with link skills apparently, and is supposed to be affected by more.

It makes quite some sense for my case. Almost. Let me explain.

My first lockdown was at the mutant golems map. Something caused me to get locked down there. It could have been an etc loot, or something... But only when I changed channels. It's quite possible that looting an extra item caused the value to be triggered, since it's probable that being affected by the cash shop thing is like getting near that value.

Shortly after, I trained my DK, and (I don't remember exactly, but could have happened like that) possibly gave him the Mercedes link skill. If this was the case, I'd have freed my main from it. But then is when everything fits like a glove.

I went to Hilla, and you all know how many items it drops. I remember looting all equipments, potions and the likes... then getting locked down when switching channels for a last time. And that's why it now makes sense for me to think you are right on the track. According to you, I was barely at the limit, harvested Hilla, and got over the limit without a possible return...

And now it gets me thinking. What if it's a certain item? One item that could have a line of code that is too long, and it's sitting in our inventories for some time? What if it's more than one? One thing seems almost crystal clear. Only old characters seem to have it.

EDIT: WAIT A SECOND. My medal UI inventory was kind of shuffled. Is that normal? As in, the medal order wasn't right. It started happening at the time they added Root Abyss, I remember clearly.

EDIT2: Ok, I think I remember something... 1 medal was in fact removed from the count. But I never figured out which one. Anyone remembers this? I do because I love collecting medals and have over 100 of those.

19. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

I have done a few tests and found out that for my character, the most items (equips, use, etc, setup, cash) I can hold is 237 before crashing with cash shop error 38.

20. Default Re: "Lockdown" Error Code 38 data gathering.

Oh my! That's a huge progress. We know the trigger now. Items. And it looks like a different limit for everyone. Now we have to find the source. It's either "hard coded" into our characters, or something triggered by something else, like items.

But the only way to know is Nexon's work. If you are brave enough to find a limit to full lockdown, that'd be pretty brave. But very risky for your character. I know I'm past the limit, but I was full in almost all possible ways, and I guess I went past the limit including link skills.