Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Guide Contest Q&A

This is the place to ask questions and have general chit chat about the Guide Contest that is in progress now.

2. Deluxe Refrigerator Straight Male
    IGN: Blackraven16
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 176
    Job: Fire/Posion
    Guild: Osomga
    usa

Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

wait we are marines?

3. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

I changed the phrasing to distinguish warn/infract better.

Warn fit the meter better but it's all good.

4. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Today @Stereo taught me:
    We have a footnote function.

5. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

We kinda don't; would benefit strongly from a bbcode that translates [navurl=#tag][/navurl] or something into <a href="#tag"></a> as right now it has to be an absolute link.

6. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

Appreciate the attempt but this one is probably not going to be included because it's actually too specific.
    We need stuff that can handle the fact the rules can and will change, and won't have to be edited every time the rules do or risk confusing people. Basically an entry for this area needs to explain where to find the rules, how to read the rules, and how those rules impact the user, which you covered part of, but using examples that may not always be there, or may not have the same values. The seasonal theme probably isn't a good idea either, since it'd be a tad confusing to users reading it 8 or so months out the year.

Not doable. vBulletin defines the base href of each page as the root of the forum, so any implicit anchors would try to go to Southperry.net/#anchor not to an anchor on the actual thread being viewed, and the bbcode handlers are called from a point where they don't have access to identify the page calling them, only the two parameters they're passed by the end user. Without the ability to determine their own calling context, and with no way to pass it to them due to their limited parameters, you'll always have to specify where exactly your anchor is.

8. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

If I'm the only entrant do I win all the prizes.

9. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

Sort of, but no. We have a set pool of prizes but if you only write one article you don't win the entire pool, you would theoretically win the pool dedicated to the portion you submitted for, or a portion of that pool based on quality.

10. Trump minus th money

Well I think the biggest problem is there's not really a list of prizes to entice anyone.
    Seems to me the event committee has really gotten out of practice.

11. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

Can't promise prizes when we don't know how big the win pool is.

For someone who loves to tout about lurking for the last 3 years, and don't know how the event community works is kind of laughable.

12. Trump minus th money

gonna stop you right there. you know that's not true.

13. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

There is no prize list, it's an award pool that gets divided by based on participation.

I doubt me revealing the pool itself is ~$300.00 would help much, since that's based on how many different categories and subjects we're asking for input on and the number of participants we're looking for, not something any single user is expected to be able to win.

14. Default Re: Contribute To Southperry's New User Guide!

Personally, I was avoiding contributing in most of the sections because I know nothing about them.

I decided that has no bearing on my ability to win prizes in a contest with no other entrants.

Look forward to my descirption of Southperry memes like DOGEBURGER and CORN ON THE BLOG.

15. Default Re: Southperry User Guide 2.0

I know I'm nitpicking, but to avoid bias would it be at all possible you make any submissions/posts from your post onward anonymous?

16. Default Re: Southperry User Guide 2.0

no.

17. Trump minus th money

Default Re: Southperry User Guide 2.0

Much better.

18. Trump minus th money

Can't find the explanation post anymore.
    Just to clarify, each separate submission goes in a separate post, right?
    Even if it's like several posts in a row, I guess?

also I see the posting tutorial includes "replacement words and smilies". I'll be looking forward to finding out the magic words:

19. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Yes

20. Default Re: Southperry User Guide 2.0

General clarification around the R&R topic;

We do not want you trying to explain individual rules. That's what the R&R itself is for.
    If you're going to touch the R&R category it needs to be an explanation of where the R&R is, how to read it, and a general overview of crime & punishment here, not an in depth look at specific infractions or scenarios, as those are of limited value