IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default How to make a Web App?

This is probabbbblly the wrong forum to put this in, but I'm not sure where else could it fit.

So. I want to take a step up from writing crappy Java apps to the slightly more acceptable coding Web apps. Only thing is...how? I have no idea how to code in HTML, CSS, Javascript, PHP, or hell, what those things even are. I literally also have no idea on how to register a domain, grab a server, and to put stuff onto the server. I'm going in this pretty much completely blind, except, I know how to code in, like, Java/Python/C++/Ocaml.

I've Googled around a bit, and this seems quite promising, but are there any better guides out there?

Thanks.

2. Default Re: How to make a Web App?

If you know how to do any other language, learning Javascript/PHP won't be that hard. There's just a few weird things that you have to learn.

As for HTML/CSS, Those aern't coding languages, they're markup/style languages so you'll just have to grab a book and dive in, That's the easiest way i'd think.

3. Default Re: How to make a Web App?

why web apps though.... steer away from those as far as possible.

4. Default Re: How to make a Web App?

Depends what kind of web app you want to make. You can make a self-contained Java applet as a web app without having to muck around with HTML/CSS. I tend to dislike Java web apps though (mainly due to the somewhat obsolete reputation for being high risk to security).

HTML/CSS are simple enough that you can jump right into any reference and just start. W3C is a good starting place but they do have some errors and bad suggestions, so try not to rely on them too much.
    PHP gives your web app server functionality. http://www.php.net already defines all the functions and usually has great examples for you to copy.
    Javascript is also fairly simple compared to Java. I personally recommend using the jQuery library.

5. Default Re: How to make a Web App?

Learn JavaScript, it's awesome and essential for web development. Don't touch PHP. ASP.Net can be worth looking into if you want to write code in C# (very similar to Java) and provide a Web API to control it.