Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Basic2 Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I remember making an account either late 2006, or early 2007, and how much fun it was to make new characters to mess around on Maple Island (my goodness that place has changed so many times.. ).

How do you feel about the community, difficulty, direction, etc? I mean, I'm not particularly fussed about the changes. Just a couple of hours ago I hit 140 for the first time, and I feel so accomplished. Obviously it's pretty easy to do that now, but for me it reminds me of how difficult it was just to get to level 30. The first character ever to get above 40 was my Dual Blade.. and that was either 67 or 68 before I just found it too hard to level (spending like 1 - 2 hours to get ONE level).

I think if there was one thing I'd miss, it would be the old community. I would literally spend hours talking in Henesys with random people. The game also felt much less pay to win than it does now.. although I guess it was pretty hard to level without the x2 exp coupons.

Anyway, what are your thoughts (regardless of whether you started pre-BB or not)?

I started thinking after I read some posts online about people who 'knew' Tiger/Suuuushi/were apart of their guild(s). Feels sort of strange 7 years down the track..

2. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I keep up with what's going on now. No turning back, and no need for it unless I want to go on a nostalgia trip. Though sometimes I do miss the Sleepywood jump quest.

3. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

There's a special place in hell for that

4. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I would gladly go through hell and back to try it again sometime. But that's not happening anytime soon.. so..

If it does, please do tell. I haven't had a chance to look around lately.

Thank you two. I know what I'm doing after my last final.
    Last edited by ExtremeMonotreme; 2013-12-13 at 10:54 AM. Reason: Do not want to spammy thread with needless digression.

5. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

Doesn't the Sleepywood jump quest still exist? o.O

6. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I hate how we can't trust anyone anymore.
    I used to just lend gear to people I knew in game and get it back when I wanted it without any problems, but now every other person is greedy and would just walk away with my pomegranate.

Also everything just felt way more fun pre-bb.
    Every level was a big accomplishment for me. Getting to 2nd alone was a huge accomplishment for me. but now I just hit 200 in few days of training and I'm done.
    Idk if it's like that cause I was younger back then...

I was a str based cleric . I didn't understand pomegranate of ms and I was weak as pineapple, but I just didn't care. I was having enough fun doing KPQ's/LPQ's or just hunting at HHG1.
    There were always people their that you could talk with or w/e.

Everything just seems so boring/pointless now.
    Maybe it's because back then I always had a goal, but now I just hit 200 in a few days and then there really isn't much left to do besides upgrading my range or talk to people.
    Maybe the game goes by too fast, if ya know what I mean.

7. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

Personally, I just go with the flow. Everything is bound to change though I did enjoy pre-BBP. We have nostalgia for that reason and it's nice that Nexon added a few "travel back to the past" moments.

8. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

Too much power creep and this whole focus on "omg big numbers" is getting really out of hand.

9. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

Well, there have been lots of issues like the power creep and pay2win elements. But I feel Nexon has been doing a bit better lately, and I'm very happy with RED so far. I'm hopeful for the future!

10. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

This.

This update made it slightly less craptastic though.

11. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

It's still here.

and just as pure evil as it always was.

12. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I suppose it depends if you mean literally pre big bang, or pre big bang including pre potential
    Before the introduction of easy leveling, getting from 50-70 took about an entire day to get one level at zombies. I would do everything in my power to never have to go back to such an experience. However, as the game of Maple Story evolves, other mmorpgs do as well.

I believe this is what determined the easier leveling factor (and not to mention unless you're extremely funded, when you have to start leveling outside of evolving world, it's still pretty difficult especially depending on your class if it's prone to death) MMORPG models nowadays seem to streamline the leveling process and focus on end game content.

Maple Story has attempted to do the same. Whether or not this was a good move is of course up for debate.

For my specific viewpoint, I'm one of those people who believes those who feel nostalgia over the game miss the old community as opposed to the actual content of the game. I also hold the same feeling.

Now, when we get in to potential/damage/etc..

99k damage cap: Okay this was fine, nobody could really reach it without potential

199k damage cap: This was a terrible move, it was way too low and was an awkward number in my opinion

999k damage cap: At the time, this was the perfect amount. It got phased out towards the end of its life by a landslide and was not even considered an accomplishment.

50m damage cap: This is way too high, and look at the jumps between the damage cap raises. Why on earth was this implemented? While I reach the damage cap now, this was one of the biggest determining factors in me quitting the game. We would have been fine at 10-20. This promotes an absolutely ludicrous amount of spending all of your money in order to attempt what seems like an impossible number to reach, and there's absolutely no fun in being able to 1-2 hit everything in the game alone.

My input on the company itself is rather negative, but there's not much need to get in to the specifics of that. Most already know how/why anyway.

13. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

It still exists, I just did it last Saturday.

14. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

From a trading standpoint i think it's gotten better. The meso cap increase eliminated a majority of the need to trust people in the marketplace. The only thing left were tyrants and those have since deflated under 10b.

15. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

Sleepywood JQ is so easy, I never understood why anyone would get angry at it. The only JQ that ever gave me trouble was the Zakum JQ, but after a few times that becomes ridiculously easy as well.

I've never really had a problem with the game as far as the community or P2W aspects of the game goes. I don't play the game for extended periods anymore, but that's more because I generally don't have the time to. I play the game now for exactly what it is; a fun action MMORPG to spend some of my free time on. Sure I'd love to be stronger, and attempt to do that when I can, but it's not something I spend all my time in doing. And I suppose I've stopped caring about how the community acts because I've largely kept to myself outside of my long-time guild and other friends I know who play the game. While the game has most certainly lost its original accomplishment feelings, when just reaching each job advancement felt great, it's still a very fun game to play at its core.

16. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

old maple sucked donkey balls.

I'd never go back, ever.

17. Polar Bear Gay Male
    IGN: danielcatu
    Server: yellonde
    Level: 121
    Job: Wind Archer
    Guild: Vendetta
    Farm: 765pro
    chile

to me the hardest jq ever was the witch event(hard) for some reason I never could pass that one easily

on thread: I like the way maplestory has been growing but i think it needs more spin-off content and they should make it attractive to players... I don't know I would be happy with a "jump quest area" or sheep ranch pq as permanent content

18. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I actually had the most fun with Maple after BB. I remember being super excited to play Maple after seeing BB in KMS. Don't get me wrong pre-BB was fun, but I was pretty much forced to play low-rate private servers to ever achieve a respectable level. The current state of Maple however, has taken the 'BB' idea and taken it way overboard. I liked the BB update, but the ones after it just seemed to make Maple worse.

19. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

There is no such thing as pre big bang to me, pre potential is the big change that killed maplestory for me. I was excited for the big bang changes for the dark knight, although I was dissapointed I lost out the challenge of zerk trigger.

Maplestory was the perfect casual game for me besides potential. Honestl if they made potential more accessible outside of just spending, in a reasonable fashion, much like other MMO's, with all the new content and classes, maplestory would be one of my favorite games.

It's such a shame such a small detail just ruins it all for me.

20. Default Re: Pre-Big Bang Maplers, how do you feel about Maplestory now?

I very much prefer the game now over what it was in the past.

I still think it's a horrible grindfest and am trying to find a way to quit it forever, but I just keep coming back. It is a sickness.....