Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll

4 11.11%

5 13.89%
  • wtp is this thread

64,889 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

1. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

2. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

I love how the "wtp" option has 60k+ votes.

Anyway, I get the joke of the OP, and the Chester Cheetah thing was funny too. I agree with Sardines post in a way: I don't feel that one can start a discussion with a picture alone unless the picture has a caption, description, question... some sort of thought provoking idea, even if in some cases not much thought is required. So for threads that begin by posting pictures, videos, and similar media alone with no sort of write-up following it, it does feel sort of barren (unless the basis for discussion is spelled out in the topic title itself, such as "This is X, why is it Y?"). Likewise, some pictures don't have much discussion value at all (rage comics, etc). Pictures used as replies to another post within a topic are usually fine in my eyes.

On the other hand, if you can put forth a good reason to discuss the picture ("This is X, it relates to Y, lets discuss X"), then that seems worthy of a discussion, to me. Never really saw the point of opening a thread with a random image and nothing more unless the section its being posted in has been relegated to nothing but spam (and there are indeed "spam" sections on some of the boards I visit).

Tumblr, in my opinion, is pretty much discussionless unless the above requirements are met. A large number of the posts from the blogs that I've seen truly are just a collection of images with no real foundation for any discussion, though I recognize that there are exceptions. A message board does seem like the better avenue if you're looking for a bit more order.

3. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

I just noticed that. There are not even 300 people on SP right now, how do we have 64k votes?

4. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

5. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

Same reason the "wtp is this thread" option even got into the poll despite not originally being there.

administrative pineappleery

oh no I jumped straight to chapter 6 and read merely 3 pages and now I'm having confusing feelings

6. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

I'm dissapointed guys.

This thread clearly needs more spiderman. And I still see none.

Spoiler

7. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

Woa when did spiderman become so muscular ?!

8. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

its okay. You can enjoy it.

9. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

There is a misunderstanding, I'm not driving at people being vain. For instance, I don't think picture threads are popular due to people having a high opinion of their own appearance. I think their popularity has more to do with the high level of general interest in what other forums users look like. There is an intrinsic interest in the physical appearance of other people because attractive people stimulate seeking behavior and are a positive reinforcement in changing behavior resulting in people gravitating towards such threads out of biological impulse. It's just humorous that forums which trend to be coded for content sharing with anonymity have personal picture sharing as a hot or popular community topic.

Disagree. Core 'values' remain the same throughout generations. Financial independence is hardwired into our animal instincts of self-survival. Ancillary beliefs are just sub-values to making sufficient income to afford a house, food, and basic provisions. For instance, the recent surge in students receiving an education is just being massively perceived as a means to an end for students to get a decent job to afford all their basics when they graduate.

Using a rendered image from a popular source of media isn't contributing or conveying whatever 'unique' perspective the person has to the rest of the audience. Rather they are diluting their own opinions by using another medium of expression. The reason why rendered images are popular is because they are identifiable and easily understood. When people use them they are trading in their own form of expression for a similar expression created by an image, macro, or gif. And yes, the 'older generation' which I assume you mean everyone not using new social media to divulge personal perspective used words in order to express personal thought. We actually assembled the words in our thought factories before shipping them out to public consumption. We sure had our own ways.

Quick and easily consumable medium has a habit of toning down the original message to appeal to a wider audience. What happens is that a wider audience understands the medium because it's been sanitized and having quickly consumed it they leave quickly looking for the next image so they can get an emotional high. I don't understand how something that's easily consumable would leave itself open to interpretation. Nor why you think it would be more open to thought than say something that is harder to understand. I don't see a lot of people asking for advice in Rubik's Cube about basic concepts in psychology or sociology simply because those classes are a joke and the information is easily understood. However, I do see a lot of programming questions and people looking for discussion on how to solve a difficult problem that they can't figure out at the moment on their own.

10. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Well if 64k+ people did vote on the poll...

Spoiler

11. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

Well, we lost HyperHopper in a tragic cage fight with Combattente so... ys

12. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

I'd like to add more fire to this already burning thread, but it'll get me banned thousands of times over.

Anyway, Spiderman thread.

13. Default Re: That's Dangerous, onii-chan!

14. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Eos goes both ways.