Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default The Kingdom of Loathing

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com/

Once every few years I come back to this game and am amazed at how much it can change. I feel it's worth it to start a new thread and try to get people back into KoL, and I hope by the time you finish reading this pitch, you'll jump in.

What is KoL?

KoL (short for Kingdom of Loathing) is a browser-based RPG that was created in 2003 by Asymmetric Publications and has been surviving ever since. It's free-to-play, but there are rewards for donating to help support the game (that can also be acquired with enough hard work in-game). And yes, it can be very, very fun.

The game's art is stick-figure based, which lends a certain charm to the game. And its writing is quite witty (which is the main selling point for the game). You start off with 40 'turns' a day (80 on your first run) and gain more turns by eating food, drinking booze, or abusing your spleen (among other things). Once you're out of turns or are too drunk to function, that's it for the day. Your next opportunity to play comes at 2:30 AM GMT. If you miss a day, your 40 turns are banked and stored until the next time you play (capped at 200).

You can play as one of six character classes -- a Seal Clubber, Turtle Tamer, Pastamancer, Sauceror, Disco Bandit or Accordion Thief -- and embark on a quest to save the Kingdom from monsters controlled by the Naughty Sorceress. And after that (or during), you could do a whole bunch of other stuff too. Like collect items.

It's mostly single-player, but has social and competitive multiplayer elements -- PvP, clans (and three multiplayer clan dungeons - Hobopolis, the Slime Tube, and Dreadsylvania), chat, occasional cooperative world events, and much more! And if single-player really is your thing, once you finish the main game you can start over (ascend), keep a skill you learned (and most of your items and Meat (currency)), and play the game as a different class, under restricting conditions (no food, no booze or no food and booze), or take a unique challenge path! Challenge paths change four times a year and older ones can be played at any time. Older challenge paths have included Bees Hate You (bees really hate you, and you can't wear/consume items with a B(ee) in their name), Zombie Slayer (become a real Zombie Slayer!) and KOLHS (your character comes back to high school!). An influx of content keeps this game fresh, and has kept it in a changing state for over 10 years.

But I've already played this game before. What's different now?

Well, besides new challenge paths, new items and new content (Dreadsylvania, the third clan dungeon, just came out a few months ago), all six classes have recently been revamped, adding new skills to learn and perm and new/improved playstyles! And if you've already finished an ascension before, you can try out those new skills at once in the new Class Act II: A Path for Pigs challenge path where you can only use your class' skills, but get them all at once! Not to mention Crimbo is coming up in December, which is always a fun time of the year.

You've read this far -- create a character and start playing today!

2. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

Stop tempting me, darn it. New class revamps sound awesome though since it's only been tweaked slightly during the times I played and I vowed to someday finish a Hardcore run.
    - It's been there for years now, so it can only be called a hardcore slacker run.

3. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

Class Act II: A Path for Pigs makes non-optimal runs faster because Jick & Co. are beta testing a new stat distribution scheme in it. Playing 'normally' and seeing some of the new content got me near level 8 on day one of a new run. It's super awesome.

This is game mechanics talk BEWARE

Since it's also basically my first time trying a class since the revamp (I tried a Seal Clubber run as they were the first to be revamped and got caught up in Pokemon), I chose Pastamancer (my favorite class).

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

I haven't touched it since... the last time we had a KoL thread.

I keep checking back on it though. My only problem with it is that after so many ascensions, I was doing the same thing every time, including some of the more tedious quests, and then they revamped a bunch of the easier quests and made them harder, and longer, adding even more grind to it.

It always gets to the point where i'm just sitting on my character waiting for the occasional Halloween/Crimbo event and not actually playing the game.

With the current path and the class revamps, I suppose it would be worth playing just to see how they have changed.

5. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

I never get that far in it because it either never holds my attention long enough, or I just completely forget about it once I've used up my turns. I don't even think I got through the first main story arch ;; Everything just kept killing me.

But I will give it credit for originality and witty writing.

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

yay!

Got all pieces of the final boss outfit. got both the Sword and Pants today, which were the ones I needed.

7. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

The Pastamancer's new Spice Ghost.

Goodbye.

The adventure icon for it is even more hilarious.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

oh! SPICE GHOST. I get it, finally.

Anyway, just completed a run as a Class Act II Seal Clubber. They got a good buff.

Ascended into a Turtle Tamer path. I also realized i've missed out on so much Sea content (like, all of it) and never realized that quest line had finished. After this ascension i'm going to try and finish it. Anyone know the best class for Sea Spelunking?

9. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

I love playing KoL during boring jobs or classes ... fortunately, I haven't had one of those in a while. Unfortunately, it also means I haven't played KoL in a while.

Every time I go back to the game, there's a massive amount of change and I spend weeks browsing the Wiki to catch up on the new stuff. It's really overwhelming.

10. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

Iiiiiit's Crimbo!

11. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

The other available candy from the advent calender is Candied Bolts. (the effect it gives is "Bolts about Candy")
    Yep, Nuts and Bolts, we're having a Roboticrimbo!

also the new IotM is OP as hell.

To put the new item in perspective, each cast (up to 3 times a day) gives you 3 items: a potion, a lump of coal and a nugget (spleen item).

The potion gives 150 turns of an extra 25 Smithness, and an effect which gives you 1% All Stat per smithness, so 25% All Stat. that's 450 turns of this effect each day.
    The coal can be crafted with various beginner items to make really powerful weapons. crafting it with a disco ball gives a Knife that gives 5 smithness, and 2% Moxie per 1 smithness, so just equipping the weapon itself gives 10% Moxie. double wielding these gives an extra 5 smithness, which doubles the effect on both weapons, giving you 40% Moxie.

Using 2 of these weapons, with the potion active (which it always will be) will give 70% moxie PER WEAPON. meaning you have 140% Moxie, and then the potion gives 35% extra All Stat%, meaning it gives you 175% Moxie.

That is 175% moxie for absolutely no downside whatsoever. and you can also craft hats and pants using this coal, which also gives you smithness, increasing that further.

and then the nuggets themselves can be eaten to give 10 extra smithness, or can be cooked into epic food or booze which also gives smithness!

So yeah, you are looking at 200%+ main stat, really good enchantments, and amazing turngen with no downsides whatsoever, and can be used straight away in a hardcore ascension.

the nuggets can also be turned into combat items, which banish monsters or yellow rays them (instant kills them and drops everything they can possibly drop).

Basically, it's amazing.
    Last edited by Razmos; 2013-12-01 at 08:22 AM.

12. Default The Kingdom of Loathing

Already donated for two Smith's Tomes, one to resell for meat later.

Also, there are new items in General Store. Handfuls of smithereens play with almost all of them, as well as some other random items.

13. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Shub-Jigguwatt, Elder God of Violence was pathetically easy compared to the HELL I had to go through to get through the Mer-kin Colosseum.

I now have a very shiny new dagger.

Crimbo Town opens on the 14th! I'm already preparing to waste ALL my turns farming the new stuff. hence why I ascended into a Disco Bandit. Pickpocket, Rave Steal, high Item Drop rate. I even have a Fudgecycle for +100% candy drops!

14. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

I haven't played this game for a bit, after multiple Dreadsylvania speed runs burned me out. Can't miss Crimbo though. I'm Random Guy on there if you wanna friend me or look me up.

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

The Crimbo content is finally here!

Spoiler

The enemies attack with a new element called Supercold.

also thanks @Reako for all that neat stuff! really caught me surprise!
    Last edited by Razmos; 2013-12-15 at 05:37 AM.

16. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

No problem. I'm really an old fart when it comes to this game and have piles of stuff I'll probably never actually use. So it's good to send stuff that might be useful at people whenever possible.

17. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Welp, i'm done for the day in regards to the crimbo content. No rewards have been earned as of yet, but I did manage to get a whopping 750+ warbear whosits.

One of the makerbots is level 2, and if i'm correct, it should give me 100 whosits tomorrow, and the other 2 should give me 50 each. my current plan is to make one more makerbot, and then upgrade them all to at least level 2. with 4 makerbots at level 2 I should be getting 400 whosits a day, on top of all the ones i'd get from farming. That way I can gradually work my way up to having longer, more sustained jaunts into level 2 and 3 of the warbear fortress to get loads of GOODIES.

If one of the rewards is anywhere near as good as the Fudgecycle from the crimbo a few years ago, i'll be very happy.

also the campground was expanded with todays update, it was given a whole other line, which means new campground items are coming.

Some people have gotten to level 2 and found some loot:
    Spoiler

18. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

War bears, huh? Reminds me of RA3 lolol.

Spoiler

EDIT:

In one day? HOW?

19. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

360 adventures on my main got me 300+ whosits, building the Makerbot gives you your 50 daily whosits back, so I got 50 from that and from the other makerbots I made. I then went on to my other account which had 200 adventures saved up, and got around 200+ whosits that way, which I sent to my main (tradeable items are a godsend, take a hint Maplestory). I then needed like 20 more whosits to build another bot, so I created a 3rd account :P

some people have bought their way into level 3 of the fortress. enemies on level 2 drop 2 whosits per adventure, but you can only adventure there for 10 turns before your battery runs out.

This kind of content is definitely a slow burn. It's going to be days before I'm able to efficiently farm this event.

20. Default Re: The Kingdom of Loathing

Not to sound rude or mean, but pretty sure that's considered Multi Abuse by the ToS, and if you keep doing it the Multi Czar (player #6) will ban you and your multis. Saying this more for your safety than anything else, really. I've seen it catch a lot of people.