IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

Default So, about to hit level 20

and I have this question.. about runes...

dafuq?
    I was looking for some info from people who know what they're doing about what to do with regards to runes. I know they can be bought with IP, and I'd get two pages to start out with, and that the highest tiered runes are available at 20+.
    When should I actually care about these, and/or would it be bad to start looking into them now/when I hit 20?

2. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

You should always care about runes; they can easily make the difference between winning/losing a lane. Spending IP on lower-tier runes before you hit 20 will set you back on IP.

3. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

Have you actually saved up any IP for runes?

If you're having fun and enjoying the game I wouldn't worry about it overmuch. Most people won't have full rune sets until they actually hit lvl30 and even if they do, they don't have "perfect" sets for all their champs. That said, it is a significant competitive advantage to have them.

If you already have a couple of your favorite champs, go ahead and start buying some runes for them. Start with the generic ones good for all champs like Armor Seals or Movement Speed Quints then go from there.

4. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

Well, on a lark, I did get some, but only to try out the rune fusing thing. So ATM, I only have, like, 2.

ATM, I have 4880 IP. I was considering using that to get another champ, but I have enough that I know how to use well, and more that I just don't know at all, so I decided to sit on it for now.

As for favorite champs? It depends on the lane I'm in, and in order of skill/enjoyment: sup>mid>top>adc>jung. I tend to main Nami for sup, but do well with morgana and soraka sup also. Mordekaiser I run top lane, usually (read: always now) with a tanky build, but I also have wukong (but have neglected to learn him). Mid I have Brand, and technically Yasuo, though I'm still learning him too. ADC I have Kayle (yes, it works more often than not, but it's tough some matches) and... I think ashe? not sure. Jung I have fiddlesticks and udyr that i'd default to.
    Would that matter as far as runes actually go?

5. Donator Male
    IGN: LnFearNFaith
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 20x
    Job: Loladin/LolDrK
    Guild: Irresistible
    Farm: Amerish
    New_York

At 20 you'll be missing 3 mark slots, 3 seal slots, 3 glyph slots, and 1 quint slot.
    The "general" runes that work on a majority of champ, not going into specifics for certain champs are 9 ad marks, 9 magic pen marks, 9 armor seals, 9 magic resist glyphs, 3 ad quints, 3 ap quints.
    Being 20 you can only use 6 marks, 6 seals, 6 glyphs, and 2 quints at the time
    And you should DEFINITELY get runes as soon as possible, if you're up against someone fully runed and you have none 99% chance you'll lose your lane =/

6 ad marks = 1230
    6 magic pen marks = 2460
    6 armor seals = 1230
    6 magic resist glyphs = 1230
    2 ad quints = 2050
    2 ap quints = 2050

Totaling 10250 IP

You could buy the rest as you level up, lessens the load a lot. If you do enjoy playing the ADC role you should pick up 1 Life steal Quint, some adcs need the extra AD from the last quint to last hit under tower, buy the other Life Steal Quint at 30.

6. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

trimmed for brevity, but def. appreciate the info.
    I don't usually ADC. Going with the standard meta, the ONLY possible adc champ I could have would be kayle. I don't own any other long-range champs that arent mages.
    List of champs I own
    I was considering picking up someone who could fill that role so I could learn it better just in case, and in particular I was looking at Draven, as for where I'm at now I don't see many, if at all. Usually it's Vayne, or Siv, with the occasional Ashe, Twitch, or Cait. Sometimes theres a jinx thrown in for laughs.

7. Donator Male
    New_York

Def get the magic pen, armor, mresist, and ap quints first as it seems you like mage champs more.
    Try to get armor seals first. Armor reduces tower hits, jungle creeps, auto attacks from EVERY champ, lane creeps damage, and ad based spells. And if you're looking for a strong ADC champ i would pick up Sivir. Shes only 450 IP and is a very strong champ.

Edit: Draven hurts a lot in general but hes very unique, to do good dps as him you need to consistently pick up his axes so hes hard to play. If you don't mind taking time to learn him go ahead but if you're looking for someone easier to play get Sivir.

8. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

As a plat ADC main, I personally prefer getting 3 LS quints over 2. I really don't understand why people only get 2. Sustain has proven time and time again to be absolutely broken. With the weakened Doran's, I find getting more LS necessary, especially since LS scales so well into late game with the items you'll purchase.

9. Donator Male
    New_York

People get 2 because some ADCs need the extra AD to last hit caster minions under turret after 1 tower shot.
    Though it doesn't always come into effect. (ex. how ahead you are, your support can set up those last hits if you're coordinated enough, you might play a champ that can do it w/o the extra AD.)

Its just general though, if she likes the extra sustain from the 3rd she can do that also.

10. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

I wouldn't worry about it for now, just buy the champions you want then get the runes whenever. What's the point of having runes if you don't have fun champs to use them on? Just make sure if you ever plan on doing ranked, to get the runes before that. but I would hope you would just play a bit more before diving into ranked, which is obviously the worst idea for anyone and everyone.

11. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

I think I used this for rune pages when I started caring about them lol. I had only the AP page (I use armor seals instead of AP/level because it saves money and is generally pretty good anyways) and ADC page for a long time and that worked out fine for me, it cost a bit less too since they shared glyphs/seals and I only had to buy separate marks/quints.

12. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

I get 2 because I suck ass at last hitting. We're not all perfect.

13. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Whatever you do, buy 9 flat armor seals ASAP. (Yellows). Whatever role you are, you always use them, and they are the most important.
    Doesn't work anymore due to the new mastery changes. You now need a buttload of ad.

14. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

Update: So, I hit 20 last night in a pomegranatety match where I went 5v3.. felt unfair as hell

15. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

That makes sense. I prefer knowing reasoning before I do something, so I might actually change to 2 knowing that. I'd have to actually try them in a custom and see the difference.

16. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

The very basic generic runes (ad/ap/support) are probably generally enough for Bronze to mid Gold.

I don't generally see people decking out their rune pages centered around one champion until around Platinum to Diamond level (when they know exactly what champions are their mains and are dedicated to them).

If you start saving all your IP now, you will most likely have enough to have the full basic ones a little bit after level 30. It's basically just pick your poison, assuming you don't buy champions with RP - do you want an easier laning phase and can deal with free week champions or do you want more champions?

imo, Draven is the hardest ADC to learn purely because you have to multi-task very well with him in a duel.

17. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

So, I just found this nifty little image on the interwebs, and it got me thinking on stuff. Got my head turning a bit, specifically with the choices people make using runes.

18. Default Re: So, about to hit level 20

General rune set-up for every role ever:
    9x armor seals
    9x flat magic resist glyphs
    Marks/Quints are open ended based on what role you play the most.