IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

Soooo I got bored and decided to make this thread. Yeah, I know, I know, Smogon and the like are still researching on Base Stats and Movepools, but whatever.

For those of you guys who don't know, Pokemon has an absurdly large competitive aspect. We use simulators such as Pokemon Showdown/, where we can create a team with perfect IVs, any movepool, and the like. There's a ladder we can battle too. Also, there are various tiers. If you want to battle out in Ubers with the legendaries, or have fun in the Little Cup, or just battle in plain old OU, there's probably a tier for you. I'd recommend visiting Smogon/ if you want to find out more.

So...my thoughts.

Aegislash seems extremely strong and holy crap I want to use him. His unique ability and move, Stance Change and King's Shield, introduces a new mechanic in the game. It is hard to KO him, but if you get hit by him, you're going down, hard.

Mega Pokemon actually don't seem that overpowered. The only Pokemon that might possibly go straight to Ubers is Mega-Gengar. Charizard-X and Charizard-Y can be handled by a handful of OU Pokemon, and none else really stick out.

Weather nerf is great, 'nuff said. I hated running into Sandstorm/Rain/Sun every single damn time I battle.

Fairy is also amazing. Screw the Dragon/Metal centralization.

Azumarill got an AMAZING buff with the Fairy type. But...there's also the Egg Move buff! This means Azumarill can learn both Belly Drum and Aqua Jet! Not to mention, Roserade can learn Sleep Powder + Spikes + Leaf Storm!

I see it almost mandatory to run Rapid Spinners now. While Sticky Web has a lousy Pokemon pool, if they do happen to set one up, more likely than not your team is screwed. Also, everyone running around with their Mega Charizards will need to clear Stealth Rock from the field. Roserade and Greninja with Spikes will be an absolute pain (and no, Greninja does not learn Rapid Spin).

RIP Flygon for not getting anything new so far. Don't worry pal, I'll still try to use you on every team I have.

2. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

I was just about to request you make this thread. Serebii has some base stats up as well. Florges has been one of the few to stick out to me so far. Greninja seems like a better Sceptile :| even though its stats aren't absurd. Delphox seems pretty good too.

About Aegislash, wouldn't it be better to keep it at Doublade and equip it with eviolite? The Special Df boost is nice but I don't know if it's worth the switch in stats when Doublade already has good attack. I haven't evolved mine yet...what does King's Shield do?

3. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

I don't think Fairies will have that big of an impact on Dragons as a lot of people are saying. Most of them are frail on the physical side so physical dragons like Garchomp can just kill them off with Earthquake or another coverage move. It's also advantageous for Dragons that Fairy-type is immune to their attacks. Outrage and Draco Meteor take full advantage of this because their side effects are negated when a Fairy type switches in on them. Outrage ends, allowing the Dragon to switch moves or switch out. Draco Meteor's special attack drop doesn't occur if it hits an immunity so something like Latios could just switch to Psyshock and hit the fairy on its weaker defense stat.

imo Togekiss is the most viable Fairy. Being Fairy/Flying gives it a lot of useful resistances and immunities, and it has an excellent move pool to utilize.

Mega Lucario is another MegaEvo to look out for. It's not as OP as Gengar or Blaziken but Adaptability Close Combat is nearly impossible to wall. Adaptability also makes Bullet Punch as strong as ExtremeSpeed. Its new speed (base 112) lets it beat things like Keldeo, Garchomp, and Salamence which could outspeed regular Lucario.

4. Lead Ball

IGN: KomodoreJP
    Server: GMSKradia
    Level: 200
    Job: Kaiser
    Guild: Motown
    Alliance: Dominion
    Louisiana

Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

If you mean as an attack, it's like Protect as far as I know. The E4 member uses it on me and I can't hit the Aegislash that turn.

5. Donator Male
    IGN: LnFearNFaith
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 20x
    Job: Loladin/LolDrK
    Guild: Irresistible
    Farm: Amerish
    New_York

Loving the weather nerf, in september 18% of OU teams had a politoed on it =/

Megas, gonna go though all of them cause i feel like it and im bored

Venusaur: can be used as a tank but i dont think hes all that great. Venusaur usage will still probably there if sun teams stay around.
    Charizard X: DD set will be nice but i doubt theres going to be much outrage spamming for a while with fairy types and aegislash
    Charizard Y: Niche in sun teams but X will probably be used a lotttt more
    Blastoise: i can see him being used as a slower, bulkier starmie as an offensive rapid spinner but as a wall theres too many good non megas that do that fine and it'd be a waste of a mega slot
    Alakazam: I don't like losing focus sash magic guard but that special attack jump is huge
    Gengar: Gonna be ubers so fast
    Kangaskhan: i heard power up punch works twice on him so that'll be a lot of fun. He has priority as well. I think he'll do good but he def needs something to do with aegislash
    Pinsir: I really like pinsir's mega. Stab return/double edge/quick attack on a sd set would do great considering he gets close combat as well. Gonna need spin support though
    Gyarados: I can definitely see a bulky SD set working wonders on this, or just a regular sd set.
    Aerodactyl: Eh, i dont think this is gonna be all that great but it can still do work if it gets a hone claws up, QuakeEdge is still a great coverage set.
    Mewtwo Both: OP OP OP. Their abilities are pretty bad but that doesn't really matter with 190base atk and 194 base spatk.
    Ampharos: Bulky attacker will work. Mold breaker is a nice ability too.
    Scizor: SD set will work but i think scizor does fine without a mega stone. I'll probably use it because super effective against fairy
    Heracross: loss of moxie and gained skill link is meh for me. Does he even have a use for skill link that we know of? And 10 base less speed. nty
    Houndoom: I like him, a nasty plot set or something in a sun team will wreck
    Tyranitar: Bulky set could be great, ddance would be strong too
    Blaziken: OP
    Gardevoir: I think will be very strong with or without a megastone. New fairy stabs, good move pool, very good stats. Ability is kinda useless imo though.
    Mawile: SD set, stab iron head against dragons, priority, rough play is a strong move, decent defences, huge power ability. Gonna be good.
    Aggron: So Bawlky. Great attack. Getting rid of the rock type is nice too. No more x4 weakness to fighting.
    Medicham: Good stabs, pure power, will be pretty good.
    Manectric: decent ability. Decent attack, good speed, he'll be alright but nothing special imo. Looks awesome though
    Banette: Nice attack but i think there are better megas. Disappointed in this one
    Absol: Great ability, switch in on a wall and SD up. Will be good once set up but still squishy.
    Garchomp: Ability is a little wasted because of sand mechanics now but hes still strong and will be seen definitely.
    Lucario: OP
    Abomasnow: Dont think he'll be good, hail still sucks.

Ok that took a while, i'll edit more in when im not lazy.
    More people need to respond to this topic =(

6. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

King's Shield protects the user and if a contact move were to be blocked off the opponent's Attack would go down 2 stages.

7. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

Oh wow that is...very nice.

REALLY disappointed with Mega Banette. I planned on using it but it has NO defense or bulkiness. The ability is great...but I don't think it outweighs the poor stats.

8. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

For any Showdown users, there's a neat metagame called "Generation 5.5", kind of a stepping stone between 5 and 6. No new Pokemon, but there are some new moves and certain Pokemon have had their typings retconned.

Power Herb Geomancy Smeargle is amazing if you can set up properly without getting KO'd, and Baton Pass out.

I feel like Trick Room teams are going to be popping up even more, what with powerful/slow attackers (Aegislash) and the new Sticky Web. I absolutely love Trick Room teams, so this is going to be fun. :D

Weather nerf is a godsend. No more running counter-weathers or completely basing teams on weather/bringing a Pokemon just to counter a weather starter.

9. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

New_Jersey

Serebii, while 99% almost confirmed, isn't completely confirmed, apparently.

If you want to evolve it then go ahead. The only reason why you'd want to evolve it is for the increased Attack and SA and Defense stats. Doublade is pretty good on its own, too with Eviolate...but don't forget Aegislash can equip, oh, Leftovers or something.

However, it really boils down to the Ability. True, Doublade gets No Guard...but Aegislash gets Stance Change

aka

Base stats are *around* (maybe Serebii has the right one)

Base Stats (Shield Forme): 60/60/150/60/150/60
    Base Stats (Blade Forme): 60/150/60/150/60/60

(It's in HP/ Attack/ Defense/ Special Attack/ Special Defense/ Speed).

King's Shield is exactly like Protect with two differences. If the enemy hits Aegislash with a contact move, it's Attack harshly drops. However, it doesn't protect against status moves (like Will-O-Wisp).

So...yeah. Swords Dance also triggers Stance Change.

SO IF YOU WANT DOUBLADE, GO AHEAD.

Right, forgot about Mega Lucario (and also whoops Blaziken). Lucario's a menace (I primarily played competitive during Gen 4...I had a Scarf Flygon with some defensive Evs to check it. That won't do this time though...).

Edit: Mega Kangaskan hits like at truck too, sheesh.

10. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Edit: Crap mysterious double post.

11. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

I guess with this generation, it could be seen as more balanced?
    At least before XY, most people didn't like putting in poison or steel attacking moves into their movesets.
    You'll probably see those moves more common and prominent in means that will counter them. Excadrill will probably still remain up there for taking out fairies. No permanent sandstorm will only hinder it a little bit.

Each pokemon seems to really have a distinct strength and weakness now, some being obvious while others not so much. From typing, stats, abilities, and movesets. Like from the other thread about Breloom, it's really all situational. Imagine if Breloom had a Mega form, it might change some things, but it'd be interesting. Not impossible since they might be remaking the Hoenn region and updating other stuff?

12. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Things about Mega Kangaskhan and it's ability:
    Power Up Punch and moves like it that do damage and then increase your stats will increase your stats twice, once for each attack. So using Power Up Punch once raises your Attack by 2 stages.

The 2 hits from the ability can crit separately. I used one attack (can't remember which) that critted on the initial attack, but not on the follow up, later I used Earthquake, and both hits critted.

13. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

mega sweepers in general are a total menace, their base speed shots to levels unattainable by most other pokemon, meaning you'd need to use stuff with priority to bring them down or something of the sort, have you guys looked at megalakazam? 150 base speed with deoxys levels of special attack (175) your only bet to kill it is to sucker punch it or something of the sort, god forbid it gets a nasty plot or a sub.

14. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

I read on Smogon that math shows that a lot of Megas are the same as, if not weaker, than the un-Megavolved counterparts because they lose access to Life Orb (& etc.)

15. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

Life Orb Magic Guard Regular Alakazam has the same special attack .

Only reason why you'd mega is to gain the increased speed, *but* you'd lose the Magic Guard.

16. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

^It could be used with the timing. Switching in with Magic guard to ignore entry hazards or whatever. Alakazam is still very frail that it'll still die to even resisted hits, especially physical ones.
    Think Chansey and Blissey can still wall it provided they don't have Psyshock?

They also updated quite a bit of moves and abilities.
    Like infiltrator got updated to ignore substitutes aside from just screens. Bet Noivern will be annoying to stuff that likes to set up screens and substitutes, or be behind them.
    Keen eye ignores evasion completely.
    Overcoat prevents 'powder' moves from being used like sleep, poison powder, etc.

17. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

150 base speed will have you outspeed anything unscarfed however, and going mega takes the life orb recoil out (still can't take a hit though, but allows you to life orb something else) and as said, magic guard is active until you mega it.

18. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male

New_Jersey

The only real checks that Alazakam didn't outspeed are Jolteon and Weaville, so okay, you're going to outpseed them now with Mega-Alakazam. However, he still cannot get past his counters (Metagross, Jirachi) since they are never 2hkoed. I guess he also now outspeeds Scarfed Base 80s and speed ties with Scarfed Base 100s, but if you're relying on those to check an Alakazam, you're doing it wrong.

Not to mention the lack of Focus Sash is an *ouch.*

19. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

I like how that there's just so many ways to play with it.
    As powerful as Alakazam is, it'll fall if it doesn't KO it in the first turn. One bit can also rely on luck, say like missing with focus blast. Stuff with sturdy/focus sash, priority moves (especially prankster sets, thunder wave, etc), or something activating/using trick room to screw it over.
    Speaking of prankster, using that with encore will almost always screw anything over aside from stuff that has magic bounce and stuff like that.

I really annoyed people with it ^^. If you can catch stuff using buffs like substitutes or calm mind, you can expect them to switch out when encored or if it's attacking with encored psychic or focus blast, you can switch into a dark or ghost type and potentially just kill them with sucker punch or pursuit.

20. Default Re: Pokémon X and Y - Competitive Side

But is that extra speed worth losing a really good ability and access to another (and probably better) Mega, such as Lucario?