Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

You missed my point on every single thing I said in there; THAT is why I don't think you would understand my arguments at length. It's not even about it being a waste of everyone's time, at this point.

Spoiler

2. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

I'll remain neutral on the subject, as it really no longer effects me.

However, I do appreciate how you guys debate as opposed to what I found on FaceBook this morning:

Spoiler

3. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

I think I lost brain cells from reading this. And sadly this doenst come close to the worst I've seen from other comment outlets [for example, yahoo...]

4. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

SP is a very friendly and open minded place to discuss politics compared to most places, I think.

5. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Most forums are. The 4 other forums that I use are discussing it as well.

6. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

My dad managed to convince me that the shutdown is actually not as bad as I was thinking, after about 30 minutes or so. I stated my side that I've posted in this thread, and the response I got was, "I don't think that's the case. The lower class populace of those countries may be laughing at us, but the governing bodies are probably not; in many of their countries, this would not be a shutdown, because when people disagree there, wars start. Here, the opposing sides talk problems through, there, they try to kill one another".

So, I guess the only downside to this really is the layoffs. I've been watching the presidential speeches/grandstands over the last couple of days and poor Obama is getting more and more flustered; in one of them he literally said the stock market NEEDS to be dropping more, they should BE AFRAID OF THIS SHUTDOWN. "this time I think Wall Street should be concerned". I lol'd; he really does have an ego bigger than any president I've lived through, aside from maybe Clinton, since technically he thought screwing everything that moved was OK even though he is married. I hope it lasts until the debt ceiling issue, that way both sides will have actual leverage and real negotiations will start happening; right now it's just a stalemate between the stubborn and the retarded.

7. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Being furloughed and being laid off aren't synonymous.

8. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Neither gets paid, and that's all that really matters.

9. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Hahaha wow.

10. Eos Scammed Me. Bi Male
    IGN: Ryninagha
    Server: Windia
    Level: 16x
    Job: Dark Knight
    Guild: EmoCorner
    Alliance: EmoNight

Ugh. Really?

11. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

They are pushing a bill to backpay those furloughed and I think all the personal have gotten "Unemployment benefits", so although they are not the same, a missing paycheck is a missing paycheck doesn't matter what you call it.

12. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

I'm sorry, is that incorrect? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

13. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

When someone is laid off, they've lost the job. When someone is furloughed, their job has been put on hold.

You can't go back to a job you've lost. You can have rational expectations of returning to a job that has been put on hold.

//

14. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Indeed. My father and brother are filing for it soon. The House and Senate are both pushing for furloughed employees to receive backpay, which is sure to make some heads roll, meh. As for myself...I was called to return to work shortly after and I am still expected to work while not receiving a paycheck (I'm guaranteed to be paid eventually while furloughed employees may or may not receive anything, although I recall reading every previous furlough has resulted in employees getting retropay).

15. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Right. No other differences though? I don't know, maybe I'm missing something. Apparently from what you are saying though, it's not even as serious as I thought it was, so there are no downsides to this shutdown, they didn't really lose their jobs, just a paycheck or two. Which, hey, that sucks, but losing your job definitely sucks more.

16. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

People not working can be considered a 'downside'. However people who are furloughed at least know that work and wages are coming to them once everything blows over.

17. Default Re: U.S. Government Shutdown

Just the fact that something as essential as NASA is heavily impacted by the shutdown baffles me. I only hope that we can manage to avoid another recession before the teabaggers are eradicated in 2014. If I were the president, I'd declare Boehner, Cruz and their old rich white ass buddies traitors, and order the military to have them executed for high treason.

18. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I love space exploration more than most, but since when is NASA essential to anyone but NASA?

19. I've got no strings Straight Male
    IGN: Ryukiro
    Server: Scania
    Level: 183
    Job: Night Lord
    Guild: Vigilante
    Alliance: Lore
    North_Carolina

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spin-off_technologies
    http://lightyears.blogs.cnn.com/2012...-so-important/

Bonus:

20. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

@Ryukiroku; Hardly time sensitive issues. No doubt it will be back to being massively underfunded just like the rest of the government in a few days.