Spiral's Avatar [Maple News Admin]
    [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ManaSpiral
    Server: GAZED
    Job: Fire/Poison
    New_Jersey

Default Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Original post

Disclaimer: Yes this is probably crazy, yes it is 4:30 AM EST, yes this is probably crazy. Oops, already said that. Crazy. Don't shoot, please.

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Worth a try I suppose

3. Donator Male
    IGN: LnFearNFaith
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 20x
    Job: Loladin/LolDrK
    Guild: Irresistible
    Farm: Amerish
    New_York

I've stated my opinions on how to "save" maple on every occasion so far, Nexon's asking, several times on Southperry, on BasilMarket, on Reddit, Maryse's campaign and i doubt any of it has ever been read by anyone but its worth a shot i guess

4. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

'Save'? Jeez, the title of this thread made me think that something serious was about to happen.

5. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Thing is, Nexon knows our opinions and suggestions. That interview with the guy belittling our fears of pay2win proves it.

Their old model was the "grocery store" model: thousands of customers, almost all of which buy something - even if only using food stamps - each giving a tiny profit. Right now Nexon is working on a "jewelry store" model: few people come in, fewer still buy anything, but the ones that do give a huge profit each.

Unless you can prove to them, in hard numbers, that returning to the grocery store model will increase their overall profits, they will not change. "I know lots of people who quit because of pay2win" is hardly proof.

Similarly for every other change we've suggested, from shared cash shop storage to prompt ticket handling: They know we want it; they seem to believe it will harm their bottom line; I doubt any of us has any way to prove to them that it won't.

Go ahead and try if you want. Just don't tell them what they've already heard and discarded, try to come up with proof. ("95% of Maple players polled agree this is a good idea" is not proof. Just because something is good for the players doesn't necessarily mean it's good for Nexon's bottom line).

Disclaimer: the above is my own personal opinion and does not represent Southperry's management or anyone else.

6. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Especially since they just asked us to give them our top priorities by today.

7. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Except Nexon still treats us like we're in a grocery store. Small, high-end jewerly stores don't survive unless they have someone there to personally greet you the moment you walk in the door, and should you need help, will gladly and promptly assist you however they can. Now compare that to Nexon's support ticket system.

8. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Don't waste anyone's time and/or effort poking holes in the metaphor, either work on the issue the thread is about, or shut up and move on.
    We all know what the problems are, arguing about how to describe them rather than how to fix them is even more pointless than arguing about how to theoretically fix what we have no control over.

9. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

A link to this, please? Haven't seen it around, but I'm interested.

10. Neon Atom Male
    IGN: WaxMuseum
    Server: Galicia
    Level: 200
    Job: Captain
    Guild: UniquePwns
    Alliance: Miracle
    australia

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...o-free-to-play

11. Acorn Overlord Male
    [Jr. Event Coordinator]

New_Jersey

Our plan is to basically put forth a proposal outlining problems and possible solutions. The dramatic title was obviously chosen to get people's attention, which it seems to be doing.

Obviously Nexon already has gotten suggestions from SP and BM and has a lot to work with. Our goal is merely to create a document. Neither is to serve as a replacement or to be superior to the other, we just thought it might be nice since we're the writer-types at MNN, to submit a formal proposal and see if it has any added effect.

Apologies if our purpose was misinterpreted...

13. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

IMO the only way to save this game is to have them basically give up their main source of income from in game which is oust potential and all that kind of pomegranate, and possibly even getting rid of many many things already in game. Since this would never in a million years happen, I don't see a point in trying to save the game. GMS will die, but obviously this is the kind of game Korea thrives on, so Nexon won't die.

14. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Solutions...for Nexon? Or about Nexon? Because Nexon itself is sorta the problem. They could have been paying attention this entire time. They could have actually fixed stuff and addressed player problems more proactively. And yet, here we are. I don't know that simply offering Nexon some solutions would even help at this point.

Honestly though, perhaps even "saving" it isn't the way to go. Sometimes you've gotta hit rock bottom before things get better. And I don't think Nexon's desperate enough to really listen and try something new yet. A lot of this recent "we'd like to hear from you" is likely getting filtered so that they're throwing out the negative and simply looking at what new sort of cubes people would be interested in purchasing. Even if they read what the rest of us have to say about the game going downhill, it might go down something like...
    Nexon: "Oh we hear that you are concerned with the pay2play model and the high level content only reasonably accessible by heavy spenders."
    Players: "So how are you gonna fix it?"
    Nexon: "I'm sorry, we aren't taking any follow up questions. Buy NX today! (because we aren't actually going to change our business model because it's making us tons of money!)"

Sometimes I wonder how much pay there is in question dodging. Because I think I might be good at it if I were hired to do so.

15. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

This is a completely hollow shell of a post with a couple words bolded for attention. You have to define a problem to ask for community input and support. "Some people don't like to pay to win" is not a problem.

16. Acorn Overlord Male
    [Jr. Event Coordinator]

New_Jersey

If you re-read the original post, it is up to the community to determine the important problems and potential solutions so that it accurately reflects what should be changed and what people want. This post was merely a call to action.

If you don't like how it was worded, then sorry. But a better use of everyone's time and effort would be to actually contribute to the proposal instead of tearing down our post which is probably the least important thing.

Thanks.

17. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

Unfortunately this is something that has been tried so often, even/especially here on Southperry where we had an entire (failed) Call To Action section, that even if you do manage to get hopes yet again and participation, odds are it will just fail again. Redoing the same thing over and over expecting different outcomes is the definition of insanity after all. What's changed to make this work any better now?

18. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

If anyone comes up with a good suggestion for the game, emailing you is probably the least productive thing they can do about it.

19. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

No, email Nexon is

20. Default Re: Last Call: Let's Save MapleStory

There's a reason I didn't reply to the original version of this here on Southperry.

It's purely a PR stunt. Without Girasol, or someone who is actually actively talking to the community from the Nexon side, they need to look good some way. MapleStory has no chance of redemption at this point. Potential has reached a point of no return a long time ago. There's no point in wasting time or energy considering how Nexon could improve a game that is already lost.

The only thing we can hope is that Nexon makes MapleStory 2 without Pay2Win ambitions, but it has clearly worked from an income standpoint (because people are stupid), so it's pretty much going to be "fu'cked on arrival".

There's a reason I don't really post in the MS topics anymore, because I've lost any hope of the game being playable from my perspective and my play preferences, and there's nothing I can think of that would fix that while keeping the players that are Nexon's source of income.

You can call me a "downer", or whatever you want to, all you want but it's the truth.