Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default What level of math are you proficient in?

Short and sweet question: I noticed a lot of the members here on SP are very mathematically talented. Do we have a fair sum of math majors floating around here?

I'm taking Calculus I this semester, Calculus II next semester. May attempt the third course before I head to a university for my Junior year. I never took anything beyond Algebra II in highschool (I took College Algebra and Trigonometry my freshman year, I'm currently a sophomore, skipped Precalculus and went directly into Calculus I because my advisor recommended it).

2. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Calculus III and Differential Equations.

That's about the extent of my education. Whether I remember how to apply most of it is the question.

3. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Math PhD in the making :3
    Most of the stuff I do is useless though. I'm barely getting into applied math.

4. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

I am a physics and math double major.
    Currently taking ordinary differential equations and analysis of applications (math applied to physics). I've taken calc I, II, III and linear algebra before this.

They're pretty challenging but I have yet to struggle in a math course. Meanwhile, my roommate is taking calc II and throwing things at the wall because he gets so frustrated.

I think this picture is relevant as well.

5. In my dreams... Gay Male
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 215
    Job: Hoyoung
    Guild: HROMATICUSSY
    Alliance: KATYPERRY
    California

I took calc I two years ago, and am currently struggling through calc II because of the large gap; it'll come back to me.

edit Oh and I probably will take calc III as well.

6. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Currently at a Calc I level, taken a basic Stats course as well. Math is not my strong suit.

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Took Algebra 2 in 8th Grade, Geometry in Freshman Year of High School, Trig/Pre-calc in Sophomore Year, and Calculus in Junior Year. Didn't really do any math Senior Year of High School.

Freshman year of college I had to retake Calculus (Calc II?) during first semester and then I took Multivariable second semester (Calc III?).

Now I'm taking Linear Algebra since Differential Equations isn't required for CS majors, and this will probably be the last math class I'll take.

There's a bunch of statistics/probability classes around there, too.

8. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I took pretty much all the lower division math classes offered. I've been through Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, etc...

9. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Uhhh calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, I'm pretty much Newton level.

10. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

I majored in Engineering and took Calc III and Diff Eq. Really never cared about advanced math though; these days I can't do anything beyond basic integrals/differentials and probabilities.

11. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Calculus I and stats II are the American equivalents of what I've done, I think. I also took econometrics last year which is applied stats II.

12. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

It's been ~3 years since I took a math class, but I took something called Calculus AB and BC in high school, now I'm on my way to become a Pastry Chef.
    I was teased by the class since everyone was going to do something math related except me, I was the odd one.

13. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

I've taken Cal I and II in college and AP Stats back in HS, got through them fairly well. Currently taking Cal III at the moment, intending on Linear Algebra next semester and Dif. Eq next Fall. My physics major has two "Math for Physicists" after Dif. Eq though and I intend on diving into more advanced Statistics.

14. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Calculus I & II, differential equations, applied math (which is basically vectorial/tensorial/partial differential equations), numerical calculus, linear algebra, prob & stat.

I'm almost a Chemical Engineer, getting my degree in Feb 2014.

15. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

I barely passed Calc III, so I guess Calc II. Also had trouble with Linear Algebra.

16. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

I got Bs in College Algebra and Trig, which kind of worries me. I couldn't tell you everything about either off the top of my head, but could pick up very quickly if I saw the original lessons back in front of me.

17. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Mfw there is a class called abstract algebra.

18. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

I got a C in my GCSE's in High School.

I barely scraped a pass, which is awesome considering I was put in the "Can't teach them pomegranate" class for Maths.

To this day I still cannot do maths, with the exception of basic adding, subtracting and whatnot. And I've never had a use for any of the more advanced stuff like algebra. Nobody ever needs that pomegranate.

On the other hand, i'm excellent at English and Science. I suppose we all have our weaknesses.

19. Lazy Mathematician Female
    IGN: MsJudith
    Server: Windia
    Level: 130
    Job: aran
    Guild: n/a
    Alliance: n/a
    California

Lemme fix that for you:
    Mfw there is a class called abstract algebra... and it has nothing to do with regular high school algebra.

On topic: We've got a pretty decent mix of people here it seems.

For those of you who don't hate math with a passion:

What has been your favorite math class so far?

20. Default Re: What level of math are you proficient in?

Calculus was the easiest, but Discrete Math is probably my favsies. Does that actually count as a math, though? It seems very... not like the others. On the other hand, I hate Linear Algebra with a passion, which I took two levels of, one as a part of my major, and the other was a pre-req for the one that's part of my major, and they were pretty much the same. I just can't see when I'd ever use it.