Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: SteamOS

1. Default Re: SteamOS

Looks like SteamOS is (un?)officially released.

http://steamdb.info/blog/35/

From what I can tell reading some FAQs and such:
    Only works if you have an NVIDIA GPU.
    Requires a harddrive of AT LEAST 500GB in size. I have absolutely no idea why it is so excessive.
    Completely wipes your drives. Does not seem to be dual-boot compatible, at least right now.

Personally gonna pass for now, but if anyone does partake please let us know how it is. Right now it seems like I need to build a new PC to use it.

Rofl, thanks.

2. Default Re: SteamOS

wat

is everyone mad at AMD for dominating consoles or something

3. Default Re: SteamOS

No, I think it's because NVIDIA is more supportive of Linux than AMD is and has public drivers. At least, that's how it was last I checked. They did specifically state that AMD and Intel chips will be supported in the near future but not right now. This is the only reason I can think of for it.

4. Default Re: SteamOS

I think they are releasing it 'early' because they shipped the prototype machines. They all use Nvidia GPU's so that's probably why they have that restriction. But Next year they will do a proper more user friendly release.

5. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: SteamOS

Its because Nvidia was a partner with Steam when coming out with the SteamOS. Albeit Nvidia drivers are better as of the moment(AMD APU's supposedly had a performance boost on the last few unbuntu(?) update) it was Nvidia who worked with Valve for the most part. Tis why all the valve prototypes are Nvidia based, (but other companies steamboxes such as IBuyPower's steam box will be launching as well at 500$ I think, and it was already confirmed that it was launching with a AMD CPU(price wise, its probably a FX-4300) along with a R9-270(HD 7870 with only 1 6 pin PCI-E power)