1. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: SteamOS

Man valve is so cool. This is the direction linux needed years ago but i'm so happy it's finally going to make a huge impact on the world, especially since it will start with gaming.

2. Default Re: SteamOS

Just made myself eligible for hardware beta, sounds like fun.

I'm curious about this:

Steam gamepads? Remotes?

3. GLADIGATORS
    usa

Well it is open source. Could mean anything, and even if it somehow turns out to be bad we could see random people doing things to improve it.

I think they're going to support a wide variety of input sources from the get-go though.

4. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Half life 3...!

5. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

steam gamepads will probably be similar to a 360 controller(as its the layout inside steam big picture). but anything that sends a digital signal to the computer can be used as a gamepad. went to go test my PS2 controller(connected by ps2/usb convertor) in steam big picture mode. it as pretty easy to set up.

valve will likely go the direction sony went with the ps2, and pretty much have a controller and a tv like remote for SteamOS

6. Default Re: SteamOS

Well it would make sense for SteamOS to have a standardized controller for developers to use when porting games over. When all the Steambox stuff first came up they also talked about working on a gamepad with high precision and low latency and messing around with biometrics.

Link

7. Default Re: SteamOS

Anyone else aiming to get into the beta to hopefully try out the Steam OS and controller? I need 3 more friends to meek that condition, so if anyone here on Southperry with Steam wants to add me, go ahead: nerdyjarte

8. Default SteamOS

I applied. Whatever.

9. Default Re: SteamOS

The chances of being picked is pretty slim. I still applied...but it was 77k people on day 1 when I finished.

10. Default Re: SteamOS

Now THAT is a well thought controller. Designed for PC games. You don't like using it? Well, you still have all of the standard button ones. but for First Preson Shooters? It's brilliant.

11. Default Re: SteamOS

Looks interesting, but I think I'll be sticking to my XBox controller for most games. The ABXY placement looks awkward.

12. GLADIGATORS
    usa

That's the beauty though. You can do whatever the f'uck you want to it. Or rather, buy a design from someone who you think does it better. (Because in all likelihood you aren't going to be designing a better one without serious work)

13. Default Re: SteamOS

In the example bindings for Portal 2, you can see that the "ABXY" buttons aren't used as ABXY, but instead for uncommonly used keys.

You won't be pushing the "Push to talk/C" button to Jump unless you bind it that way.

14. Default Re: SteamOS

I like all the cardboard controllers on the shelf of the promo page.

Since it's valve I was expecting something a bit different when it came to the controller and they didn't disappoint that's sure different.

My first impressions feel that this wouldn't be suitable for a lot of games. As mentioned the XBAY placement does not look good at all. I wish the right pad had 4 clickable points or something. No D-Pad either. It seems like they have focused fully on the keyboard a mouse replacement rather than making an all-round controller.

I'm interested in seeing what people make of it though when they get it in their hands. Seems like something you would really need to try.

15. Default Re: SteamOS

Though the chance is minus zero, I applied.

16. Default Re: SteamOS

I honestly cannot decide how I feel about that controller. It's obvious they went through a lot of thought for it, and the trackpads seem weird...but honestly, it really looks like a controller you would only know if you like after using it. You really can't tell how well or useful the trackpads will be from pictures.

17. Default Re: SteamOS

On the one hand, it looks stupid at first glance. Who wants both thumbs taken up by trackpads with the "buttons" in difficult to reach places, and for complex games, triggers really aren't good enough (when compared to face buttons).

On the other hand, the analogue sticks probably looked goddam stupid too before anyone got to try them out, so I'll withhold judgement for the moment.

18. Default Re: SteamOS

Here's how I feel about the controller:

/* No, I'm not Russ Frushtick. */