1. Default Any advice for a possible new player?

I'm thinking of picking up LoL because some of my friends play it. I definitely can't put as many hours as they can into it, and I'm definitely going to be new to something like this. I know a few terms and characters but I'm very limited to knowledge. I guess I can pick up on the terms on some website but this is more for me getting used to some tricks that some better players might use? I don't think I'm used to a game like this.

2. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

Play a game, focus on last hitting the minions. That's all.

Make sure you get the kill on minions, this way, you earn gold. Also, practice moving around and getting used to the feel.

3. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

Don't play PvP until you get the hang of the game. There might be smurfs (experienced people playing on new accounts) in bots though so yeah.

4. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

-learn to last hit as much as possible. Hit yourself in the head every time a creep dies and you did not get the gold for it.
    -Pay attention to the map. If you see 2 enemies top, 1 enemy mid, and you're fighting 2 in the bot lane, don't worry about getting ganked.
    -In low level games they don't usually have junglers, but when you do start playing in games against junglers, buy at least 1 ward every time you go back
    -Stay moving, and try to kill stuff as much as possible. If the wave is pushed into their tower, and you do not know where their jungler is at, go back to buy or kill some of the jungle
    -OBJECTIVES WIN GAMES, not kills. If you have to die, but get a tower for it, that was definitely worth it.
    -Think of everything you do as "trading". You died, but you got a tower for it. You stole their blue buff, and only lost 4 creeps. You took an auto-attack poke from them, but you got a CS for it. Make sure, if the enemy gets ANYTHING, you get something of equal or greater value. If they kill a creep, you need to kill one as well. If they poke you, you need to get something out of it.

5. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Ah ha ha ha those will be your famous last words.

My advice so far? Play both beginner tutorials, and then one or two beginner CUSTOM games (5 v 5) . Then hop into beginner mode of COOP VS AI. When you find yourself not dying a lot you can up it a notch and playing intermediate of COOP VS AI. When you're comfortable with that hop into real 5 v 5s.

Once you've found champions that you like playing, I recommend using solomid.net for champion guides. Of course, you CAN use Leaguecraft.com or mobafire.com, but I STRONGLY recommend you not to use these guides past level 20, or even level 10 or 15.

Don't buy any runes until level 20.

6. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

/ignore all for PvP

7. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

8. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

If the OP (or anyone actually) wants some practice playing ADC, I can play with yah as support. I played almost exclusively support up to Gold 3, with an MMR much higher (probably gold 1 / low plat). Just add me ( Rusty NK ) and I can help ya out.

9. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

1) Last hit, last hit, last hit. Last hitting is what actually gets gold. In lower level and normal games, there'll probably be loads of kills which can off-set low gold from killing creeps, but for the sake of being a generally good player, last hit. A good way that I practiced to last hit is to use champions that have last hit benefits. These are champions that get something when they last hit a minion like bonus gold (Gangplank's Parrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrley, Twisted Fate) or reduce mana costs (Annie's Incinerate or Irelia's Blade Surge). Don't worry about being bad at last hitting at first, you're probably not the only one doing bad in your games. Not to mention it does take some time to get used to all the various attack ranges and animations.

2) Pushing wins games. This is a huge problem in almost any setting. Sometimes people get so far ahead they kind of just plantain around and forget to actually finish the game. As a result they sometimes end up losing, not always, but sometimes. Though there's a downside to pushing, there is a time and place for it. Ten minutes in, unless you're überfed is not the time to be pushing a lane by yourself. A pushed lane is a (n more) easily ganked lane.

3) Wards and map awareness. Vision can win games. But, make sure you actually make use of the wards. Wards do you no good if you buy them and do not place them or ignore the places that you've placed them. You should always been glancing at your mini-map to ensure that you are safe.

4) Save IP for runes. You should be okay on champions with the free ones, especially if you buy champions with RP. Once you get a decent set of rune-pages then you should branch into champions.

5) Have fun. The League community is full of little shíts so just remember to focus on your lane. And remember, /ignore @(champion) is glorious. Though don't go around ignoring every little plum that you encounter because occasionally they do give helpful information about what they're doing. Not always, but sometimes. If by like 20 minutes in they haven't given any useful information, I usually ignore them (if they're being a peach/douchemaster).
    Last edited by Jamesie; 2013-08-27 at 01:41 AM.

10. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

THIS with passion. I don't know how many games i've seen thrown because teams don't push for objectives and just hunt for kills..

Everything has already been said I think but don't take any bs from other players.(the league community is perhaps one of the worst) Learn from your mistakes but don't dwell on them

11. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

I wouldn't worry about all that stuff yet if you're just starting out, too much info lol

Just learn stuff like cs'ing and get good with some champs you like

The road to 30 is long as pineapple, it'll come w/ time, and even when you hit 30 there's no rush, fresh level 30's have tons to learn too.

Once you feel confident with your fav champ jump into a pvp game, don't chill in bots forever, people in pvp are most likely lower leveled like you, and even if you see smurfs, the players will even out once you reach a certain level and smurfs will only be with stronger players

12. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

omgosh. that thread makes me cringe.

I don't have very many tips to give seeing as i'm still pretty new to the game too.

Play with friends. some people can be very nasty in this game so play with a friend or 4 so you have someone to look back on.

Try not to play bots until 30 like i did The bots "play" very differently than normal players, and while it can be helpful to start to learn a new champion, don't play bots for too long.

Last of all. Have fun. Remember it's a game. Sure losing sucks but you gotta remember it's still a game!

13. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

you guys must have a lot of bad experiences. I don't meet that many douchebags. Most of the people I play with cooperate pretty well and are usually nice or funny

14. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

15. Default Re: Any advice for a possible new player?

It's 50-50ish. Some games I'm with real asswipes, but then some games I'm with great people.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

1. Learn to last hit
    2. Learn how to optimize your team composition. Don't pick a carry if someone else already picked a carry
    3. Don't feed. Play safe, never #YOLO until you learn your limits
    4. Usually max 1 or 2 skills first, while dipping at least 1 point into other skills. Always max your ultimate
    5. Usually run back to base after a tower gets destroyed
    6. Top lane: Bruisers/tanky champions
    Mid lane: Mage type champions
    Bottom lane: Ranged carry + support
    Jungle: Jungler
    7. Always practice a champion vs bots before you play the champion for real.