Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Bradley Manning wants to become a female

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...211609706.html
    This is... A surprizing turn of events. Although I wonder why he's coming out with this now, I hope this is not some kind of an attempt to denigrate him in front of his possible, more conservative supporters.

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

I know it's horrible, but my mum said he would be very popular in prison if he identifies as a female.

I'm confused about this quote though:
    Why would gender-identity issues have anything to do with his performance in the army? and why should he have been removed? are they saying he should have been removed from his position because of it? or am I reading this wrong? (likely). If it is saying what I think it's saying, why is his DEFENSE saying it?

I was unsure of whether to call him "him" or "her" in this case, but I suppose he is still legally a man.

3. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

The military needs, especially for that position, a sound mind. People with anxiety issues or identity crisis' can have an affected judgement.

4. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

I think you got it right because that's not the only time he's used that argument, at least according to the article.

But who knows the details of his situation to tell whether or not his struggle is really troubling or just a lame excuse.

5. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

Call her a her. She believes that she is a woman, respect her identity.

As for why she should have been recalled, I'd imagine there could be a reasonable amount of judgment issues stemming from unsolved gender issues? Maybe?

6. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

People undergoing any kind of personal issues are generally considered a poor security risk. Whether it's gender identity, religion, or family trouble, doesn't matter.

7. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

I see, that does make sense.

In that case it's a pretty poor defense, saying that they should have taken action before she blew the whistle.

8. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

That's how law generally works here, if you're guilty with no means of a loophole, you have to push the responsibility of the crime onto something or someone else. Their argument is essentially that if they were aware of his "crisis" and allowed him to keep said position, then that's the risk they took. So now it's his superiors fault for ignoring the red flags and not taking the necessary action

9. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

It can be a girl or a guy, but it doesn't change the fact that a massive security breach happened; a plea of insanity shouldn't get someone off the hook, and neither should this. It should have been the life sentence regardless of any issues "she" may have had.

10. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

Well, it's like being secretly gay in a culture that prosecutes homosexuals. If society doesn't support & approve of your identity, it's a security risk because it makes you more vulnerable. IMO the right answer is "treat all humans equally," rather than not letting a given group join the army, but with the ridiculously insensitive treatment the army gives and has given to transgender individuals it's a pretty solid argument that it affected her mental state.

11. Default Re: Bradley Manning wants to become a female

I don't disagree with that, but that doesn't normally cause someone to potentially place millions of people in danger. Nothing in there was read before it was leaked; what would have happened if something EXTREMELY important was in there? Nuclear launch codes wouldn't ever be stored in something like that, but base schematics, drill schedules, complaint reports that happen to include mention of faulty facilities on bases, any number of documents that could have been used against us could have been in there. It wasn't directly aiding the enemy, I'm sure he/she wasn't even thinking that far ahead, but it was still incredibly stupid, and stupidity shouldn't be rewarded with reduced sentencing.