Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ion-of-us-law/

Follow link for full article.

2. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

I thought you already did this.

3. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

No they won't.

4. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

No, we typically use assassin bots, Less red tape.

5. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

Probably more cost effective as well.

6. Lead Ball Male
    IGN: EastTimor
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 201
    Job: All of them
    Guild: Faith
    Alliance: Solace
    Farm: Travel
    canada

Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

less red tape more red stains. idk which is better to be honest

7. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

Murder is inherently more honest than lawyering.

8. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

So in the states there are no ISPs that gives you dynamic IP instead of static?

9. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

Just a quick question since I dont know much about IPs. Are they connected to your computer or your internet? Like, If I move and am using the same computer as before, but a different internet provide my IP address will not change, correct? Just want to make sure.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Your IP address is supplied by your ISP. If you switch ISPs, your IP address will have to change.
    However, choosing to access a site you'd been blocked from before is up to you.

11. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

So what happens to those who must use DNS?

12. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

Everyone uses DNS because it's easier, not because they have to. And trying to directly connect to a website without DNS will still have you banned if you are connecting from the same IP.

I am really lost with your question.

Do you mean a dynamic IP address which is much more relevant but completely unrelated to DNS?

13. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

I don't even know how to take this. It can't be serious.

I don't blame him, not in the least. God damn this is retarded, LOL.

I can't lose any more faith than I already have in our justice system, but, if the Supreme Court doesn't rule this unconstitutional soon, we will be near a Great Britain/Australia level of internet nanny state.

14. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

I guess.. sorry for my vague education on the subject.
    I was told that having a DNS will give you a different IP everytime you log on.

15. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

I guess I won't be able to play JMS anymore.

16. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

You might be thinking DHCP, although even that isn't 100% guaranteed to change. A dynamic IP isn't so much guaranteed to change, as not guaranteed to remain static.

17. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

YOU: Hey network.
    NETWORK: Sup bro.
    YOU: I'm a new node on your network.
    NETWORK: Hey, DHCP, wake up.
    DHCP: Oh, hi.
    NETWORK: Give this node an IP address
    DHCP: Sure. It's 192.168.1.123 (DHCP uses NAT to figure out IP addresses. Your node has a private IP address. Your network has a public IP address with the world)
    NETWORK: Your IP address is 192.168.1.123.
    YOU: Thanks.
    YOU: I want to connect to Southperry.net.
    NETWORK: We need an internet connection.
    NETWORK: Hey, Modem, Wake up.
    MODEM: Wazzup brah.
    NETWORK: Connect to Southperry.net
    MODEM: Sure.
    MODEM: Hey, Comcast.
    COMCAST: Sup.
    MODEM: What is my public IP? (EDITOR: This is a dynamic IP address. Comcast gives it to you.)
    COMCAST: For the next 6 hours, your public IP is guaranteed to be WW.XX.YY.ZZ. Check back with me in six hours.
    MODEM: What IP address is for Southperry.net? (EDITOR: This is DNS)
    COMCAST: I have a non-authoritative answer for 198.96.94.120.
    MODEM: I want to connect to that IP on Port 80.
    SOUTHPERRY: Oh, hi - redirect to portage.php.
    MODEM: Okay.
    SOUTHPERRY: Here's your page.
    MODEM: Hey, network. I have a page here for you. You figure out where it goes.
    NETWORK: Uhhh, I have a webpage for 192.168.1.123? Who is that? (EDITOR: This is NAT)
    YOU: Me me me!
    NETWORK: Here's your webpage brah.
    YOU: Thanks.

In a nutshell:
    DHCP - Assigns IP addresses to new nodes on a network.
    DNS - Translates names (Southperry.net) to IP addresses (198.96.94.120)
    NAT - Assists with DHCP in routing information on the private network. Also assists with moving packets. If you've ever used port forwarding, you are changing the NAT table

18. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

And adding to that, reverse DNS (rDNS) does the opposite, but much much much more horribly, since you can have infinite names resolve to a single IP address, but most ISPs will only let you reverse an IP address to a single name, which is why you'll see oddities like this;

nslookup southperry.net
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: southperry.net
    Address: 198.96.94.120

Buuuuut

nslookup 198.96.94.120
    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: eosian-enterprises.com
    Address: 198.96.94.120

19. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

Is that a hosts file edit...? Because...

Code:
    dig 198.96.94.120

; <<>> DiG 9.3.2 <<>> 198.96.94.120
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NXDOMAIN, id: 1194
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;198.96.94.120.                 IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
    .                       1800    IN      SOA     a.root-servers.net. nstld.verisign-grs.com. 2013082101 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 90 msec
    ;; SERVER: 8.8.8.8#53(8.8.8.8)
    ;; WHEN: Wed Aug 21 13:17:11 2013
    ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 106
    Never really dealt with rDNS

20. Default Re: We (And Nexon) will henceforth be prosecuting for ban evasion...

[/quote]

You didn't -x

Code:
    dig -x  198.96.94.120

; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-20.P1.el5_8.6 <<>> -x 198.96.94.120
    ;; global options:  printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 55604
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;120.94.96.198.in-addr.arpa.    IN      PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
    120.94.96.198.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN    PTR     eosian-enterprises.com.
    and since you already had the IP address you basically didn't ask it anything.

It stopped being optional when larger email services like yahoo started bouncing you if your ip didn't reverse. Now it's even more complex because you not only have to reverse, you have do reverse to something covered by the approval in the spf.