IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Default Worlds first lab-grown beef

I know I'm a few days late but there was no discussion about this yet, so...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...180347284.html
    Had a good laugh about the comments on this. "Disgusting", "Ew, wouldn't put the chemicals these things have in my mouth". Some people are just too stupid to do research. Someone should show the stuff put into their sausages.

Where does normal beef come from? Cow
    Where does lab-grown beef come from? Cow

The main difference really just is that the animal doesn't need to be killed to get meat. This specific beef had way less additives than the ones in grocery stores, if any.

When it becomes more reasonably priced to make these, I'll be among the first to buy.

2. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

I think it's just as stupid when people in the comment section bring up GMOs. Whatever complaints people have about GMOs (some valid, many not), lab grown beef is in no way genetically modified. At least, no more genetically modified than the basic selection that occurred from breeding cows over however long they've been domesticated.

3. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Not to mention chickens that are killed at under 1 month old. If that's not disgusting, I don't know what is.

4. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Right, I'd say lab-grown is MORE ethical than naturally grown, honestly. The "you can't play god" crowd will just have to deal with it, eventually.

The problem I see is one they mentioned in the article; it only replicates the original cell, not all of the different cell types that make up an actual animal. It will be difficult to efficiently produce composite-cell lab grown foods, but that's the only way to keep the taste halfway decent; meat without fat just doesn't taste like meat. I don't even like the fatty parts, but I know it adds flavor to the dish.

I wonder if this means vegetarians will start eating meat, since there are no "animal torture" reasons once this is made standard.

5. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

I'd eat it. simply put

6. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

If this goes well, and meat can be mass-manufactured, it could help with world hunger problems.
    Considering the cost of just one of those burgers right now I doubt it would be anytime soon, but the possibility is there for creating something out of barely nothing.

And of course it prevents animal cruelty too. Sure, some animals will have to die for the cells needed, but nowhere near as many as they do now, there was even a PETA spokesperson on TV here saying that killing a few animals is a worthy sacrifice to end the suffering of millions more and I completely agree.

It's gotten to the point where barely anything we eat or drink is natural anymore. It's not as much of a leap as people think it is.

7. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

I also like that comment "I don't want to put chemicals in my mouth" as if denoting "chemicals" are bad, specifically unique, and synonymous with "carcinogenic" or "toxic". It's the biggest declaration of how little you know about anything on this subject.

If they are able to create a mass marketable lab grown meat, there are huge positive implications to the environment, energy crisis, and possibly even healthcare.

8. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

wasnt there an article somewhere that said cows release more co2 to the environment compared to cars. so, yay to the environment (if we didnt have to raise so much cows anymore) ??

9. Idiot. Male
    IGN: Enfris
    Server: Reboot GMS
    Level: 173
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Forever alone.jpg
    Alliance: Forever alone.jpg
    California

I saw this yesterday on a different website but I wasn't sure if this was recent since I wasn't able to find the date.

Truly is fascinating though. I wonder when the price will go down enough so that average consumers will be able to get this (and hopefully it'll be cheaper than organic grass-fed beef).
    I know pomegranate meat is there but I'm not sure if that's cheap enough nor would people even want that at all.

10. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Does the lab grown beef feel pain? Because if it doesn't, it can't possibly be as delicious as God grown beef.

11. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

I know this may sound cruel, but I don't know if completely solving world hunger would be a good idea. The problem is not that we have too little food, but that we have too many mouths. World hunger is basically natures way of saying: "There's too much of you guys, start using birth control especially if you can't afford to feed even that 1 kid"

Plain fact is, people need to stop having more than 2 kids or we'll have problems more serious than anything by now, ahead of us.

12. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Now here's the daunting question: How up in arms will farmers feel about this? I don't think there are subsidies for beef, but this can cause a loss of profits for farmers that rely on selling beef to make a living.

13. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Actually food production is hardly the limiting factor. It's a matter of distribution. Countries like the US produce vastly more food than it consumes, but most of the excess doesn't go to feed starving children in Africa or whatever. The kids there aren't necessarily starving because of overpopulation. More often it's because of war, oppressive governments, or the occasional natural disaster.

If you want to talk about pollution which is somewhat related to population control you may have an argument, but the starving children aren't the ones driving Hummers around so I'm not sure you have a leg to stand on.

Overcrowding applies more to localized areas in urban cities. If these people were willing to move for redistribution, there's still plenty of land available for expansion. Canada is hardly suffering from a lack of land for instance.

14. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I'm not sure how much we subsidize beef, but we heavily subsidize the feed that the cows consume. I'm sure the farm lobbyists will fight this to their dying breath.

15. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

I'm vegetarian and I'd eat it. Woo, science.

16. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Stem cell biology is an awesome field. Still, this doesn't surprise me very much. The structure of skeletal muscle on the gross anatomical level isn't as complex as other structures. I would really be impressed if they grew an arm or an eyeball, but that's because I'm more biased to medical applications.

Still awesome, though. Thanks for sharing this.

17. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Organ culture isn't new.

Hadriel

18. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

They've actually done the eyeball at least, and an ear iirc. Both work better then their biological counterparts or something.

19. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

Oh, derp. I haven't really been keeping up with the news. n_n

20. Default Re: Worlds first lab-grown beef

As a vegetarian it's nice to see this. Still wouldn't eat it, but it's nice that it's there. Hopefully we can come up with good replacements for other animal related products soon too.

I'm not looking forward to the public 'resistance' to this though. People should really learn to shut up about things if they haven't properly researched it (or have had formal education on the subject). I honestly can't wait until I can finally start working with GMOs myself. Who knows, I might even end up working on something like this (though I'm planning to work with plants).