IGN: Stephen
    Server: U.S.A.
    Level: 25
    Job: Sailor
    Guild: USN
    Alliance: VAQ-141 Shadowhawks
    ireland

Default RWBY

I mean, I just found this stuff on a lark while on Utube, but it's all ready quite... well, perplexing.
    I dunno if I like it, or if I'm curious to what it's on about.. but enough riddles and backwards doubletalk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE-zt1K560U
    and
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtMXnr293zU

Saw these two videos (second first, first second), and I wanted to look into this more. Turns out it's a series called RWBY by the people at roosterteeth. If what I saw on wiki is accurate, it's relatively new.
    Has anyone else saw this series yet, or does it seem interesting to anyone else?
    Last edited by MariettaRC; 2013-08-02 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Changed thread title to the appropriate subject.

2. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    IGN: MariettaRC
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Bowmistress
    Guild: KoopaForce
    Alliance: KoopaEmpire
    Nebraska

Default Re: So.. does this go here?

I've been following this ever since the Ruby Red trailer (thanks to @ShinkuDragon), I quite enjoy it for not being a studio-made production. I'm looking forward to more episodes.

The first episode actually came out a few weeks ago.

Spoiler

3. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

The second episode is also up on their website, they're releasing episodes to youtube on a weeks delay :o
    ep2 http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more

Its alright, if short. Apparently the first episode, last episode and mid-season (so end of a story arc?) episodes will be 10mins-ish, and the rest like 5-7mins.
    And yea, I would say it goes in this section, if you go into the youtube comments on RWBY videos its nearly always a clusterpineapple of people pointlessly arguing with each other over the definition of the word 'anime', so I'd steer clear of even bringing it up :U

Also for a slight heads up, Weiss ( The white-themed girl with the rapier) isn't how you'd assume she is >.> (Or at least how I assumed she was), and Ruby's voice may seem a bit jarringly high pitched in the yellow trailer but its alright in the actual show.

4. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

Yeah, I been following it since it released, my friend really like roster teeth and is obsessed with anything they make. I havent seen the second episode yet but i will. I posted the yellow trailer in the pirate section (we need a pirate like yellow). The episodes are way too short though. Its supposed to be ~12 minutes for the first/middle/last episodes of each season, and ~6 minutes for the rest (any later released on DVD). I dont get why the episodes are so damn short but nothing i can do about it. You can see the style and animation become better as you watch the trailers (first two didnt have any voice acting).

5. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i actually kinda liked the lack of voice acting (mainly in the first one) gave me an old "samurai-jack" style showdown.

6. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

I have to admit, the concept of a scythe-sniper rifle is pretty intriguing, and made me think of someone from here (*cough*RAY*cough*).
    I have some issues with the hand animations looking clunky, but that's to be expected and whatnot, hopefully with time the animations get better. For what they are at now, with the style used, I'm pretty blown away.
    Tried looking up if this guy is getting any help with the production of it, but yielded little. At least he's working with RT though, so it's not like funding should be an issue (i wouldn't think so, anyways).

7. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

As far as I'm aware, MontyOum is the sole animator, so I can't really complain about the episodes being short. It's either short episodes on a regular basis or long episodes each spanning a long time to make. Though the more time spent usually means better quality, but I guess there's also budgets and whatnot to take into account.

EDIT: There are two lead animators, according to the credits. :U

8. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

this is the guy that was making dead fantasy. Those were and still are awesome. I knew nothing about this but sure I'm gonna pick it up now.Why isn't someone as talented as him making this show for Nickelodeon or something?

Anyway, whoever saw Yellow and didn't think of Peach at first needs to check their eyes.

9. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Episode 2 was released last week. Twas only 5 minutes.

Voice acting was better, at least.

10. Orbital Bee Cannon Straight Male
    IGN: Musiphe
    Server: Reboot
    Level: 277
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Epic
    Alliance: Fatal
    Colorado

Episode 3 comes out later today. Also can we get a change on the title to match the subject?
    I've been following the series since the Ruby [Red] trailer after my RL friend showed it to me. He's an avid RoosterTeeth follower.

EDIT: Episode 3 is out!
    The Shining Beacon, Part 2
    Last edited by Dark Link; 2013-08-01 at 07:06 PM.

11. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

This reminds me of like Star Ocean meets Persona 3 meets (a show about fairies in an academy i forgot the name of) meets a bunch of other stuff.

12. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

I like Blake already. Also, the random cartoonish animation swap bugs me a bit, but that's really my only complaint.

13. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

I'd been following this show since the Red trailer debuted after the credits of the RvB season finale...

I guess Monty can do no wrong with this as far as I'm concerned, because I'm not bothered by anything. The voice acting was shaky (Read: Horrible) in the trailers but they really improved on that front. I like the dynamic between Ruby and Yang and judging from the comments I read on RT and YT I must be one of the only people glad Weiss is such a... you know.

Hopefully episode 4 has some action in it, though. We haven't seen any of the girls but Ruby even draw their weapons yet.

14. Spirit of the Arrow Bi Female
    Nebraska

While I am a bit disappointed Weiss's character is such a brat, it's not bad to have some diversity in how the girls act. From the trailers, you would think they had predictable personalities, but that's definitely not the case after seeing the actual series. I don't mind her character being like that because since it's obvious she's important, we will probably be seeing quite a bit of character development and I'm looking forward to that.

I would hope we see that anyway.

15. the Immutable Neuter
    ireland

i'm hoping to see her keep her peachy attitude, but learn to cope with others. i'm a fan of the bull-headed character trope.

16. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

Well, her Voiceactor said something like Weiss is the "Batch that isn't always batchy", so we guess we can take it that she's the "Rich Girl that has been on her own in some way"-type.
    First few Episodes will probably be something along Slice-of-Life before we get into the actual action.

Also, "I'm a natural blonde, y'know?"

17. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

Kind of curious that this thread was made like 3 days before the series was featured in youtube's "geek week".

18. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

Just watched ep2-3, they are so short . Also, I like Ruby's and Yang's PJs.

19. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

I don't understand how there could be any argument in the first place. Anime is Japanese animation. That's it. No excuses. It's not from Japan? It's not anime. Anime is not an art style.
    As such, RWBY isn't anime, but I'm okay with it being here.

OT: I've been following this since the first trailer. The trailers looked cool even though the voice acting was awful.
    The voice acting (and animation outside of battle) still needs some work, but it's really getting better each new episode.
    I really enjoyed the 3rd episode. The cartoonish thing was awful, though. That was Aku no Hana levels of jarring.

20. Default Re: So.. does this go here?

I don't wanna derail the thread, but we are not making a new thread just for this are we?

Why can't anime be considered an art style? Generally when an animation uses a style similar to anime they usually also carry all the other elements natural to an anime apart from regular cartoons (huge budget. mature plot, elaborated dialogues and soundtrack and such). Just saying anime is an animation made in Japan sounds superficial to me.

I don't see why would Japan have a problem with the term anime trascending to englobe high level animations, nor I see any chance anyone could say other countries are stealing Japan's culture, the only show from the west I would catalog anime is Avatar so far