Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Basically what the thread title says.
    IMO,
    1. Mobility. This is what made me quit my aran in the first place. Always needing to spam the right arrow key to dash is annoying. Same goes to mech.Besides, mobility is important for dodging skills that can 1HKO, like cyg's dark genesis.
    2. Status Resist. Now when I look back at my captain, status resist is a must in bossing as otherwise I can die easily due to sed + when my HW is on cd.
    3. Avoid. I won't deny, this is an important part of bossing. Skills like Xenon's DBD and DB's ShadowMeld increases avoid to a rate until the boss can't damage them (inb4 AoE attack lol)
    Other parts (minor)
    Mobbing ability
    Class (Pirates ftw, but I refuse to make a mech)

2. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Mobility
    Mobbing in ALL jobs
    How fun it looks
    Flashiness honestly. I am maining a Wind Archer, and Spiral Vortex is one of my favorite mob attack animations

3. Proton Straight Male
    IGN: NPhantomN
    Server: Bera
    Level: 200
    Job: Phantom
    Guild: Prospect
    Alliance: ISoSage
    Farm: netanel
    israel

Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

actually when i mained my phantom and mercedes the things i looked at are:
    1.actual gameplay and abilities-i didnt looked at the attacks % damage and what the buffs brings,i just looked how the class actually play and in both phantom and mercedes its interested me(the combo system mercedes got raising rush+SM kick+leap tornado+gust dive make it a fun class to play.and for phantoms the steal skills ability and the attacks of mille and tempest)
    2.plot-it may sound childish or something,but the class story actually interested me.phantom's story own them all. and mercedes all part of being the ruler o the elves trying to unfreeze them from the curse...its basically what the job represents,phantom's changing the way of life for good(although i think phantom was never mean at all) and mercedes's saving its own people...even xenon trying to remember its past and overcome its mechanical parts
    thats actually it.i never really cared about damage at first place (note how weak phantoms are at the moment)the high crit rate and avoid of both jobs are a bonus but nothing else.
    you should choose a class based on your gameplay style.thats why i get bored often when i train link mules (im looking at you DA)

4. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Animations, mobility, and a fun/unique aspect.

I started with a shad because I just completely loved Assaulter. Probably still my favorite skill in the history of maple... I moved onto Phantom, because you could STEAL SKILLS. How cool was that? Very cool.
    I currently main a Xenon, because I'm loving Blade Dancing and Diagonal Chase (RIP Assaulter) Striker looks appealing, zipping all around the map in my favorite color - blue.

I might switch back to my shad with RED, with the thunderous explosion that is now Assassinate. Meso Explosion looks fun as well.

5. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

1. Gameplay - an obvious answer but still important.
    2. Stability. This is why I love my Hero. Often the strongest jobs get nerfed or bandwagoned to hell, but Hero is really stable. They aren't the top of the DPM charts, but they're consistently in the top 10, with little risk of future nerfing, and since they aren't top 5, their equips (1h/2h axe) are really really cheap.

6. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Being able to stay alive if you fall asleep training at SH.

Uniqueness, weapon/skill themes. I make characters with an overall look, theme, and color-scheme in mind. I was so determined to main my Hero xSarina because I fell in love with her theme + Hero Class but then my Paladin came along and changed that. :>

I very much dislike classes that already have an established theme that is over encompassing. Demon Slayer, Kaiser, Angelic Buster, and some of the Maple Heroes are good examples. There's not much fun in making "new" characters otherwise.

7. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Well, obviously i have to find it fun, but my opinion of what classes are fun changed over time.
    1. Survivability. Whether its high defense, or high avoid, i like classes that can survive. I also really like drain skill/buffs or passive healing.
    2. Moves, I like having at least one move for 1v1 and one mobbing move, more are better, I dont want to only spam one move.
    3. Capability to boss. This was never big for me before, but as i start to reach high levels and get some funding, i would like a class that can boss, and at least solo common/weaker bosses.
    4. Story quests. I really like classes that have story quests, I really enjoy them (especially when the quests are not collect 100 or when they give good exp). Classes should have some time of storyline you could use to train.
    5. Insta job advance, something new, but i would prefer it if i could complete a lightbulb speech quests or auto job advance somtimes. not a big issue if its a story line type thing, but adventurers go kill manon and griffey is not really fun.

8. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Honestly the characters that hold the most friends on my buddy list/guild list are the characters I end up staying in the most, and the gameplay mechanics. Though Bow Masters are notoriously squishy without %HP equips.. I enjoy the gameplay just as much as I did years ago before archers got any mobility enhancements.

Just me though. The newer classes are fun, but the appeal isn't strong enough for me to play the class long term.. or past Link Level 2.

9. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Fun is number one, but for me fun is made up of the following attributes: Style (I won't play clunky classes ever and want my skills to be flashy without being obnoxiously gaudy), story (The character must have some compelling motivation), potential (If I get a decent range for them, they shouldn't be lagging far behind every other class and should also be useful in all party scenarios) and skills (I don't want too many skills, just give me a few that go great when they're combined and that's alright).

...basically, Phantom.
    Last edited by Curtiss; 2013-07-27 at 07:56 AM.

10. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

overall class that is fun to play. for me, it's demon slayer. :D

excellent mobbing ability (demon cry) and bossing attack (demon impact) also first 20 seconds after dark metamorphosis is casted, DR immunity

useful party buff: leech aura, get some heal when attacking

can fly and high jump, no knockback,excellent defense

11. Proton Straight Male

IGN: i123theDemon
    Server: Scania
    Level: 21x
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: DarkLily
    Alliance: Liliace
    Farm: Bugs
    indonesia

some char that doesn't need to pot when training ^^
    bossing capability status resistance as well!

12. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Initially i would prefer mages over anything else, but ever since windbreaker came out, it kinda broke my tradition. so now i would just try out all the classes and play the ones that i think are fun.

13. Helium Atom Straight Female
    IGN: Cozmose
    Server: Windia
    Level: 200
    Job: Luminous
    Guild: Enthralling
    Alliance: Provocative
    usa

While I usually main mages, I guess this stuff could apply for actually -playing- a class for me..

Mobility. I need to have some sort of escape move - teleport, flash jump, Zero's Burst Step.. something that I can go "Oh pineapple" and use to get out of there. Considering how mages hasve to be stationary when they use skills, moving while fighting isn't something I look for.. Maybe that's why I'm so bad as a Zero.

Fun. After slaving away for 2 years on a bishop, just hanging around on a rope to hit 200, I've learned that if I don't enjoy a class, I probably won't get it past third job. I don't care for how much damage a job does or whatever, I just want to have fun playing.

# of hits. Weird, I know. But I like seeing the numbers just pile up. It kind of ties in to the "not caring over damage" above. I don't care how pomegranatety the damage rate is, if it hits fast and numbers just keep spilling over each other, I probably like the class.

14. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

I would love to say the reason my main is Aran is fun, and well it is kinda fun. But still the main reason is that all my equips and perma nx are there. Nowadays everything is untradeable and I'm just too lazy and poor to fund a new class.

As for mobility an survivability, yep, Aran really lacks there. Used to be average, but then everyone got a fj and we got tons of new jobs that of course have near to zero flaws. Good HP, godly dmg with tons of dmg lines, stat res, amazing mobility, amazing bossing, amazing mobbing, fast grinding.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Sometimes I feel like the new "strategic" bosses are only designed with newer jobs in mind.

15. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

Well... what I always consider when making a main character...

Flexibility in function: If this, I prefer my DS. It's because I can use it anytime to counter or ignore bosses's damage reflect buff, for 1st 20 seconds, thanks to Dark Metamorphosis: Reinforce. Hilla want to reflect? Metamorph. Basically I can cast Metamorph when boss casts damage reflect every 60-80 seconds (because I put 15 sp on it), otherwise I just stand idling not doing anything because of the boss's reflect until the reflect wears off. Kaiser also can do this, thanks to Kaiser's bankai form, Final Transfiguration (?), but I'm dark, lone warrior.. so I choose DS.

Survival: okay... Raven storm helps in recovering, also leech aura... I wish the leech aura when the 1st time DS release.... every attack recovers HP ;u; DS has okay HP, reasonable for a warrior. Status resist is okay with the buff of Black Hearted Darkness, can be improved, thanks to his character card effect and willpower of 100 which contributes 20% more to status resist. But... of course I would love more avoidability... like Xenon's Dual breed defensive / Dual Blades' shadow meld or insane phantom avoids

Mobility: DS - fly / glide to be exact. Okay for me. When training, Chaos lock is a ninja teleport to monster randomly in a same map. Hello monsters! -slash it-
    ... also a bit annoying at same time... and I would love to have mage type teleport....

Attacks: .... okay... one binding attack, one debuff attack, is okay... but I dont really like too much attacks... I rather want Infernal concussion to be abolished. others are okay. I want more i-frame attacks. Spammable Assaulter / surging blade like attacks?

Ultimates (hyper attacks): I don't know, for some reason, I like cerberus chomp because it's like nom-ing the monsters XD

Just... my thoughts.

16. Sacred cow Male
    IGN: Equi
    Server: Aquila
    Level: 235
    Job: Luminous
    Guild: Pineapples
    Farm: holycow
    singapore

fun mainly, I don't really care about the other pomegranate because I can always push them up somehow

17. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Mobility, fun, good chaining.

pretty much everything Aran and Bucc's are not.
    While recent jobs like Xenon and Demon Avenger are quite overpowered, what I enjoy about them is the way they play, I never pay attention to damage. Fast, spammable chaining attacks, good mobility, decent defenses.

18. Default Re: What do you look out for when main-ing a character/class/job?

I like Pirates for whatever reason, and the one I'm really getting to love is Angelic Buster - I like the Flash Jump-esque move and the hammer.

I used to main a priest back before Pirates came out, and a year after the release of Pirates I decided to try a Gunslinger. I've been addicted ever since.

I like Xenon because the motion of the skill Quicksilver Concentrate reminds me of Castlevania.

I dislike not being able to move while attacking with Rapid Fire on my Corsair, but I understand why we don't move.

That will be fixed, apparently, in the Red patch.

I like classes that are good bossers. They don't have to have the highest DPM, but I'd like some decent damage.

19. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

1) Uses gear i already have. Putting so much effort into pirate %str and then switching to anything else is a horrifying experience. Only two classes in the game use this type of gear. Luckily they're both classes that are interesting and now viable.
    2) Viable in bosses, but not boring to train.
    3) Underdog.
    4) Not squishy.