1. Default

MINE SURE IS. This movie is going to be so good based on the spoilers I've managed to gather.

2. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

I'm pretty far behind on my Gintama, but I still consider it my favorite anime, so I am excite for this, maybe it'll even make me catch up.

3. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

I've never watched Gintama but is it really that good? The mental image I've got of after reading its synopsis is that's pretty similar to Inuyasha while the main character is like Spike from CBB.

4. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

Gintama is great because of its comedy, there is no beating around the bush on that. Give the first few episodes a watch and if you don't laugh its probably not for you.

While the show does have some really good action arcs, they only tend to last a handful of episodes, and pop up somewhat rarely, its comedy and characters are where it really shines.

Also I'd say Gintoki is half Kenshin from Ruroni Kenshin and half Spike from Cowboy Bebop. Dunno where the Inuyasha bit comes in though, I can't say I notice many similarities.

5. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

"A white haired swordman traveling with a priestes and a monk while fighting devils" or something like that. Well its been a long time since I read its synopsis so IDK lol

6. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

Haa nope, way off base after the "White haired swordman" line.

Heres a basic synopsis from my point of view (minor spoilers for maybe the first 3 episodes or so, generally unimportant stuff):

Samurai-era japan, aliens invade and the country breaks out into war, Samurai vs Aliens. Gintoki (The show's main character) fought in this war, and was renowned for his sword skills. Fast forward to the show's timeline, they lost the war, Aliens have integrated into society and run most of the businiess' on earth, and have also brought advanced technology, as well as having large infuence in government. It makes it a hard economy for the once well respected samurai. Gintoki is now in his late 20's, he runs an "Odd jobs" place where people can pay him money to do whatever. He is often behind on the rent, and spends most of his money either on his addiction to sugar, or on this week's new manga releases. Life is pretty lazy for Gintoki. He then meets up with his 2 cohorts, Shinpachi and Kagura (neither of which are a monk or priestess). Shinpachi hires Gintoki for something, and ends up sticking with him because he sees the power that Gintoki hides, and looks up to him, Shinpachi is kind of a wimp, but is the most determined of the characters, he rarely gets sidetracked. Kagura is an alien who has an insatiable appetite, and is superhumanly strong, but she is just a kid in many respects, and gets easily sidetracked from their main objective (often for food).

The episodes are mostly just characters hiring them for odd jobs, while occasional remnants of Gintoki's past pop up and try to get him to either continue their fight against the aliens, or attack him. Other characters like Katsura (Gintoki's old war buddy who is now a wanted man), the Shisengumi (a group of Police Officers who use swords), and more pop up, and are genuinely funny and brilliant.

tl;dr: A samurai, geeky kid, and alien girl with an insatiable appetite do crazy things to try and pay for their rent. Sometimes people show up from the character's various backstories and try to kill them, or do various other evil things. Openly parodies other animes, and is genuinely funny, occasionally badass.

7. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

I cannot even contain my excitement. I, a 20 year old man, screamed like a little girl. My body is not ready for this but luckily I have ample time to prepare it.

8. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

I've seen up to episode 17 and don't find it very funny. Does it get better? I've seen people saying it doesn't get good until around episode 50(!).

9. Neutron Straight Male
    IGN: godrocker
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 181
    Job: Where's My Ship
    Guild: Osmoga
    Alliance: Fjords
    Farm: Elosia

Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

-squeals- MY BODY IS SO READY.
    Best. Anime. Ever.

10. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

The comedy gets better with more characters. But yes, it does indeed get much much better.

11. Default Re: GINTAMA MOVIEEEEE

The important thing to know about Gintama is that it's split up into small arcs that can be funny, serious or are purely character-centric. There's a lot of character introductions until episode 17 which is why you might not find it terribly funny, but they do introduce particular quirks so you know what they're on about.

For example, my real foray into this series actually began with episodes 98 and 99 which are collectively known as the Owee arc, in which the main trio and a couple of other characters battle it out to buy an Owee (Parody of Wii). Because Gintama parodies anything and everything, most people are going to end up liking certain episodes or arcs more than the others and everything does get better after 50+ since introductions are done and the directors get to screw about.