1. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

Have you been paying attention? The requisite characteristic, a payment of Consideration, is present regardless of such abstractions, because play is initiated by the spending of points which are not given free of charge. Additionally, the reason why arcades are legal is they are games of skill, not purely games of luck. If a video arcade held any games of chance with a payout of a prize, and the establishment forbids entrants from bringing in foreign tokens not purchased from the establishment, that establishment is then an illegal house of gambling.

2. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Duude seriously take it easy.
    Everyone is just giving their opinions.
    opinions=/= facts

I see Sapta's point and I do agree with her at the point that you are receiving what they promised you:
    NX Credits.
    I haven't see in any announcment Nexon sayin Buy 5000 Nx and you'll get your Fafnir weapon!
    They always say "get the chance".
    I still agree with you that Gachapon is seriously retarded for the prizes it has.

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

And the other requisite characteristic, a payout, is not present.
    "Being happy with your toon's damage numbers" is not a payout, or a measurable benefit.

But, as I said before, if you're so sure Nexon is in the wrong, take them to court. Win a lot of money. Force a change in the game.
    None of us like the way gachapon, cubes, and the other items with a "chance" to improve your game status work. We just think Nexon has itself covered, legally. We'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

4. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

...Most internet sales aren't taxed. Although the fed's are working to change that. I already posted the answer and you're arguing exactly what sapta is. Which is just parroting.

Picking and choosing your arguments eh? Let me repeat, the transactions you're referring to are beyond trade laws. The only legal transaction that you make is the purchasing of the NX card. There is no gamble by doing so, you get what you pay for. How you spend those points are transactions are as relevant as what you pay mesos with. Unless the NX card you specifically purchase is specifically for a gambling method (Gachapon/Miracle cubes), you have no argument. Period.

None of those state laws have any relevance either, because the transaction that the real life world recognizes is the prepaid cash card. Seriously stop playing stupid.

5. Trump minus th money

Except they do, because it is determined solely on luck and not at all on the skill of the entrants, and playing the gamble can only be done by first making a purchase.
    That's why you see so many sweepstakes contests with "no purchase necessary".

Also Using bold to accentuate your speech is really silly, especially when you overdo it.

There are no more than 18 people on this island
    Last edited by xparasite9; 2013-06-26 at 02:48 PM. Reason: .

6. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

Oh my god how are you not able to follow. Like seriously, here's the yellow brick road. You're so desperate to save face from your highly uneducated opinion you're making a bufoon out of yourself.

If you put the bold together you'll see why you were always wrong, and why you should stay out of things concerning law;

The transaction you make, that the law, government, state, what the f`uck ever acknowledges is for the NX card. That's paid for in cash by the way. It is no where in any shape or form, specifically used for gambling. You are given credit to make transactions within the game, period.

What you do with those points, is irrelevant to the government, it's your choice how you spend them, and no where on the card does it limit you to a specifically gambling activities. If it was specifically for gambling activities, such as, a frekin card that says "GACHAPON ONLY", then it would be considered illegal.

7. Trump minus th money

Please refrain from intentionally bypassing the censors.

I guess you don't understand what constitutes as Consideration. This little abstraction doesn't protect Nexon, unfortunately. Indirect Consideration is still Consideration.

8. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

They don't care about the censorship. Though I find it cute I have someone who's account is how many days old, trying to lecture me on frekin rules? Seriously?

Bold statement with no back up? I posted the goddamn federal law, explained how transactions of goods (Trade law) functions, and spoon fed you how it applies to that circumstance, and your retort is an ambiguous statement?

@MariaColette; Deal with your guildie please

9. Trump minus th money

My account is 1187 days old, thank you. Please refrain from harboring such uncivil elitism.

hey this is between me and you. Don't bring in other members of our dead guild.

10. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

How about you answer the question. You trying to "advice" me on a rule you don't understand, (or how law works, evidently) leads to an elitist conversation. Blame yourself.

Yes but she's a moderator and it be hella funny/ironic for her to close the thread. Again, stay on topic.

11. Trump minus th money

You're the one who derailed it. You're also the only one who made ad hominem attacks.

This game has gambling features that require you to first make a purchase before you use them. That's Consideration. There's no free method of entry. That means it's not a sweepstakes.

But "being able to actually stand a chance at defeating end-game bosses" is.

12. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

No, I stayed on topic, you deflected at an attempt to distract from the point.

First off, gachapon does not require a purchase, no nx item requires it. Surveys and events completely destroys that point, which is the last bit of land you stand on. I didn't think I'd have to bring this up either, but oh well. In order to be in violation of online gambling (UIGEA), they have to knowingly accept payments that are used as wagers. The cash shop has thousands of items which the card gives you access too, there's is no legitimate way to prove that NX is bought specifically for gambling activities.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon

No, it's not.
    The law doesn't care whether you use your NX to dress up pretty and afk in Henesys Ch1, or to cube your gear to max range and go bossing.
    Neither one is a tangible benefit. Neither one is a payout.

14. Trump minus th money

This is still indirect Consideration. It doesn't matter who is paying whom. If a transfer of money is a prerequisite, it's still Consideration.
    Okay, so there's a lack of federal protection. They still can't legally sell to Texans.

I don't think the Texas law specified the benefit had to be tangible.

15. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

You can't transfer money for gachapon tickets, you transfer nx points which any trade law doesn't acknowledge as a form of currency. That's the big point you're missing, NX=/=American dollar by every legal standard imaginable.

Yes they can because as stated, the federal does not recognize NX as a form of currency, the state of texas, and every other state does not recognize nx as currency. Just because you bought the prepaid card with money does not mean it automatically transfers it's identity. It's like buying a gold coin. You can't use a gold coin in a retail store, but you can wager it, even though it does have a defined value, as the dollar represents gold reserves.

16. Orbital Bee Cannon

In which case the Texas law applies to, for example, a ticket to the Zoo. Can't sell them to minors because who knows, they might not enjoy their visit. They might not gain the benefit of seeing a real live lion roar.

I guess I'll say it again, then: go ahead and take them to court, if you're so confident.
    Convincing us, or failing to, doesn't matter in the least. Convince a judge - or, first, convince an actual lawyer to take this on - and then you've accomplished something.

17. Trump minus th money

Let me rephrase a previous point I made, in the form of a question.
    Why do you think so many sweepstakes have "no purchase necessary"?

18. Orbital Bee Cannon

Because they have a payout.

19. Default Re: What is Online Gambling?

Irrelevant because it's not.

A) It does not require a purchase in order to participate
    B) The purchase is for the NX card, what you do with the NX is your own discretion and is not managed/overseen by any government agency as NX is not a currency regulated.

20. Trump minus th money

Show me the free Gachapon.
    Indirect Consideration is still Consideration.

Texas law doesn't specify that it has to be tangible.