1. Default This NZ law seems to have gender discrimination...

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crim...a-father-at-12

So yeah, it's horrible what happened here. Look at the other cases listed at the end of it though, and look at how light the sentences were! If a man had committed the equivalent crime (raping a minor) then he'd be spending a long time behind bars for being a pedophile. And I bet this one will get a light sentence too....

Cause apparently it isn't as serious for a woman to commit this awful crime? What's even more worrying is that it was only recently that the law even recognised that woman could be rapists at all.

2. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: This NZ law seems to have gender discrimination...

Many people believe that "men can't be raped" (by women. Other men is a whole 'nother story).
    The Southperry Obscenity rule doesn't allow discussion of the mechanics of sex, so I'll just put it this way:
    They believe that while women can be violated by force, if a man (or boy) became a father then he must have been aroused. He must have wanted and enjoyed it at some level. Therefore, "seduced" rather than "raped". And only his being underage makes it statutory rape.

Apparently the NZ courts believe this too, or they wouldn't let the women assailants off with light sentences.

3. Default Re: This NZ law seems to have gender discrimination...

It's actually encoded in New Zealand law that women are incapable of raping, by wording of the relevant statute.

http://www.legislation.govt.nz/act/p...DLM327382.html

Section 128

4. Default Re: This NZ law seems to have gender discrimination...

Which is just... completely untrue.

Also if a man did EXACTLY the same thing that the woman in that article did, not using physical force but instead pressuring the child to do as wanted, then that's most certainly going to make him a pedophile. And it attempts to give the impression that the child allowed it under their own will.

Rick, is that a current law? I thought the law was changed, according to the news article.

Although in hindsight, this thread probably isn't a very good one, I'd completely overlooked the fact that it could potentially break rules/upset/offend people

5. Default Re: This NZ law seems to have gender discrimination...

I honestly don't know how this became a law in NZ, i'm surprised there hasn't been more of an outcry about it.