IGN: Helsinki
    Server: MYBCKN
    Level: 220
    Job: Aran
    Guild: Friends
    Alliance: Unbreakable
    finland

Unhappy Computer won't boot, recovery options fail

So, first of all, my computer has had booting problems since the day one I bought it. I made a thread cursing Acer here about 1.5 years ago. I tried contacting them and they sent a noreply-email saying it probably needs maintenance and asking for more details (well, couldn't send further details because their email is noreply dam it). Long story short, never actually got it into warranty and thought I could fix it by myself.

The problem I had was the following:

When turning on the computer it wouldn't boot into Windows 7 until after 1min-10mins of ctrl+alt+del spamming. It gave me 2 different errors:
    "Disk read error occured. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart." and
    "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key"
    After I got into OS it would work just fine except for occasional crashes once a week or so.

However about last week the booting problems started to take longer than usual. It took me 30mins to more than an hour one day. On last Sunday it was well past an hour again but finally got in somehow. Unfortunately Windows crashed with blue screen after 1h of being in. Before blue screen everything jammed and I could only move around my mouse. Nothing reacted. After crash it didn't give me "start Windows normally" screen like it normally did and I was back at boot device errors.
    I tried changing boot device (F12) and changing BIOS settings (DEL), nothing worked.
    Luckily I had managed to create a booting disk when my Windows was on and I used it to recover my boot up. Worked but my Windows crashed after a while the same way I explained above.

This kept continuing and right now I've tried about everything. I haven't been able to enter OS for 2 days. I've looked inside the computer and cleaned some dust and tried to use recovery options in my boot disk. The weird thing is that all the recovery options fail now. I managed to force it into Acer eRecovery Management where all options had been grayed out before and got into the process of recovering computer to factory defaults on. Unfortunately that thing crashed at 26% too.

Here are the errors different recovery options give me:

Startup repair:
    "Startup repair cannot fix this computer automatically

Problem signature:
    Prob. event name: StartupRepairOffline
    Prob. Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
    Prob. Signature 02: 0.0.0.0
    Prob. Signature 03: unknown
    Prob. Signature 04: 0
    Prob. Signature 05: unknown
    Prob. Signature 06: 1
    Prob. Signature 07: unknown"

System Restore:
    "To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore.

Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select System Restore."

System image recovery:
    "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer

Attach the backup hard disk or insert the final DVD from a backup set and click Retry. Alternatively, close this dialog for more options"
    (Inserting last factory backup disk in made no difference here)

Windows Memory Diagnostic:
    "Windows cannot check for memory problems

An error is preventing Windows from checking for memory problems during startup."

System info if it helps:
    Acer Aspire X3950
    Processor: Intel Core i3 processor 550
    Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 5570

So yah, nothing seems to work. I just wish I could start everything clean but the recovery options don't work. Just lost 550e if I can't fix this piece of junk.

2. Flatpanel TV
    IGN: HarbingerLey
    Server: Mardia
    Level: 203
    Job: Demon Slayer
    Guild: [L]ittleBusters
    Farm: Dominion
    usa

Default Re: Computer won't boot, recovery options fail

part of e says its partial symptoms of hard drive failure.

3. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

I figured it's something with the hard drive. When I look at BIOS settings it's there but when I F12 to select boot device it's not listed. It's actually been randomly disappearing from there even before things got this bad.

In BIOS settings, AHCI port 2 is "undetected". Port 1 shows CD/DVD so I figured the port 2 is where hard drive should show up.

4. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Sounds like bad hard drive and/or corrupt OS

5. Default Re: Computer won't boot, recovery options fail

Looks like you'll need to get a new hard drive. Only thing I can see that would work. Good luck on fixing it.

6. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

be careful, i had a similar issue and i changed the hard drive, turns out the problem was with my motherboard, which basically corrupted my new hard drive upon trying to install it ._.

7. ᗧ · · · ᗣ · · · ᗣ ᗣ Straight Male
    finland

Took the hard drive and some other stuff off for a while, my dad did something to get Acers eRecovery on. Recovery to factory defaults finally worked.

Voilah! Suddenly the computer now works like it would be brand new. At least for now, everything seems to have fixed.

Feeling damn good now