Server: Galicia
    Level: 206
    Job: Evan
    Guild: Exploited
    Alliance: Family
    Farm: StarWars
    mexico

Default The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Well, the first trailer featuring the mighty dragon Smaug is out.

I am hyped.

Old Trailer:
    Spoiler

Coming December 13, 2013.

EDIT:

As of October 1 2013 a NEW Trailer with Smaug's voice!

The dragon finally gets to talk.

Last edited by Eliseo; 2013-10-01 at 03:57 PM.

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Legolas? are you pineappleing kidding me.

3. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

My thoughts exactly, why is he in there? Why are orcs shooting at the barrels? I know I'd probably still like the movie but come on, that's adding too much drama to a story that is fine on its own!

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

He's in here because cameo.

But seriously, the trailer showed him more than it should have, and it reeks of the same "throw in as many cameo's as possible" as the Saruman/Galadriel scene from the previous movie.

I suppose Legolas at least makes sense since he is an Elf and therefore old, but I hope his role in the movie is just a cameo.

5. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Hyped as pineapple, loved the last one.

6. Desk Straight Male
    IGN: NatsuEliseo
    mexico

Etheir my memory fails, or Legolas is the son of Thranduil, making him actual part of this timeline, since Thranduil makes a LARGE part of The Hobbit.

So far everything showned seems good and not too far-off. Except the part where Elves and orcs fight while the poor dwarfs are on the barrels. From where did that came from?

7. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

He is the son of Thranduil, but well- he doesn't show up in the book at all and we all know he's probably in there because of fangirls. I'll wait for the actual movie to judge though since each scene might have added context that makes it work in the movie.

8. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

"Legolas, we have to go back to The Island!"

What goes through my head every time I see Evangeline Lilly in this film.

9. Helium Atom Gay Male
    IGN: CoveralAran
    Server: Bera
    Level: 181
    Job: Zero
    Guild: Smite
    Alliance: LevelUP
    Farm: King's Landing
    netherlands

Oh god... Too much hype today!!
    Aah, my brains can't hold it anymore.

10. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I hope it's more action than beautiful stunning scenes with flying birds.
    The first one was nice, but I got bored at some points... ._.

11. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

I loved the pacing about the first and felt the amount of action was perfect.
    Then again, as a roleplayer I pineappleing love fluff, so that might explain a lot.

12. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I like Orlando Bloom, but having Legolas in this movie seems random. Oh well, very excited to see the second part of this trilogy.

13. Desk Straight Male
    mexico

Added the new trailer.

The movie is around 3 months away.

Looking foward to seeing Smaug in action.

14. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

With the Orcs running wild as part of the previous one the elves would have had to step in and try to drive them back or at least resist them in some way and if the elves are in an all out fight it'd make less sense not to see elves who will be around in the later parts also taking part in these events.

15. Desk Straight Male
    mexico

I think you are right up untill a certain point. According to my memory, Thranduil wasn't a king that worried a lot about the what happened beyond his forest, at least not to the extent Galadriel and Elrond. I will look foward to see if they go more in depth to the reason of why Thranduil went and become a part of the 5 armies battle.

@Razmos; I think you won't like the fact that Legolas seems to have a MAJOR role in this movie, looking how much he is seen on the trailers.

16. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Bumping this since it's out now.

I saw it yesterday and for the first time I found one of these simply awful (visually).
    The entire first hour or two felt like I was watching a bad PBS attempt at a live action. It almost reminded me of the old Lion With and Wardrobe miniseries. I didn't have this problem with the first one, or the other trilogy, so no idea why this one felt so horribly wrong from a visual perspective. Disregarding the visuals, and ignoring The Sexiest Dwarf Ever and his budding romance with Random Elf Chick, the plot and and storytelling were okay, but not overwhelming. A lot more Legolas than I expected though. And having Lee Pace play Thranduil was oddly distracting.

Also be on the watch for the oddly homo-erotic 1:1 fights. Plural.

17. Desk Straight Male
    mexico

Did you watched it in HFR? I did not got to see it in Conventional 35mm, but didn't quite had any issues with the movie visuals.

I think the HFR was nicely updated since the last movie. It took me around 10minutes to get used to seeing a movie so... different? But it seems very few people can get used to it. I still liked it.

Definetly did not noticed any odd homo-erotic 1:1 fights, you got quite an eye to have noticed.

I got the opposite issue with the beginning. They cut out so much stuff from Beorn and the Elves I felt a little dissapointed.

Once Smaug appeared in screen, my inner geek was surprised. Excelent detail and the voice acting from Benedict Cumberbatch was amazing.

In my opinion, better than the first one. And no other movie I have seen has ended in such a cliffhanger... I did not expected it to end where it ended.

18. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Not a clue. It was in 3D so I am assuming so, but I had no issue with the first one. It might not have felt so horrid in 2D.
    It didn't stop looking awful to me until they got in the mountain.

/* Legolas. Lake town. Orc Leader. For that matter other Orc Leader and Gandalf, or Gandalf and Sauron. Oi. */

19. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

My thoughts:
    Enjoyable but the romance felt really pineappleing forced and felt super out of place, the movie would IMO only have been better without it.
    I also might've not gotten a clear look on him but i didn't really like Smaug's design, i never liked the dragons with the weird arm/wing things in the front, i much prefer standard western dragon design, but that's entirely my own preference. Smaug looked awesome and was great overall, no real complaints there.

20. Default Re: The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug

Graphics were good as usual, but not on par with the previous ones IMO. Spiders were as awesome as I thought they were gonna be.; the go pro footage mixed in during the barrel scene kinda distracted me a little bit, but otherwise, that scene was friggin amazing choreography and detail; and Smaug was awesome overall.

I like how everyone in the theater laughed at the Killi/Tauriel healing scene and that there was a general groan of displeasure with the cliffhanger at the end because everyone dreads the whole trilogy thing that Jackson and the studio just had to do. I honestly thought that they could have kept it at 2 movies (because 1 would not be enough for the details). The movies add a little much to the non-canon details and skimp on some of the better canon details, but otherwise a decent movie that was entertaining.