Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Fashion is weird.

More silly fashions:
    Spoiler

This on the other hand is simply badass, despite being labeled as "weird fashion". peach, T-Rex's are not weird.

2. Default Re: Fashion is weird.

Regular fashion can be far worse than what you see on the runway.

3. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

The past was a scary place.

Also, Powerpuff girl jackets. lawl.

4. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

Reminds me of Lady Gaga's fashion sense.

5. Default Re: Fashion is weird.

Oh, you think you know fashion well fashion's a stranger.
    You think fashions your friend my friend fashion is danger~

6. Default Re: Fashion is weird.

I'm pretty sure the pieces you showed are from a graduate fashion show (graduating pieces from colleges/universities). So they won't have much merit in terms of style/practicality but concept and design.

Here is site showcasing Fashion Graduate Week (Fashion Designs from Fashion Institute all over UK), it's all VERY bizarre, but just from looking at the pictures you can get the sense of why they do the things they do. ART!
    http://www.stylebubble.co.uk/style_b...-round-up.html

In the actual industry basically, the way I see it is that it's all hype for the brand to explore different pools of design, to inspire people and admire their brand.
    ...don't know if this makes sense of not... but i tried to show the relevance in having those crazy outfits in Seasonal RTW Runways!

Alexander McQueen 2013 Collection

Other things:

-Complete RTW looks are about $20,000 (They handmade atelier couture pieces that you actually can't buy, you need permission to borrow/wear it to an event)
    -Purchasable RTW looks are probably around $5,000
    -Accessories and shirts and what not are around $200~$1,000
    (they charge that, because they essentially can lol)

-The trends may not necessarily catch on, they gotta be hot and popular if retailers ever want to make money!

-The astounding Alexander McQueen SS2013 runway
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXida-8NMt4

-Dragonfly/Bees/Honeycombs is the prevalent theme within this collection

7. Default Re: Fashion is weird.

wtp im not gay enough for this

EDIT: just to add on, i work at one of the cheaper retail stores and we share the same supplier as Zara, Topshop and H&M.

8. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

@Miek, your pricing's off. You can find pieces from any season at any price - it all depends on the designer and, most importantly, the craftsmanship and cost of materials used. For example, I own this digital print sweater from 3.1 Phillip Lim's Fall 2012 collection (aka a RTW collection), which was $450 USD at full retail and one I nabbed on a great sale from Saks. The coat in Look #2 was just over $1000 USD. So sure, when you add it all up some "complete" looks may be in the five-figure range, but many aren't.

That same logic applies to your other pricing, because you can't really apply a set price to such sweeping categories like that. Yes, Coach makes some great men's bags between $400-$700 USD, but Saint Laurent has women's handbags between $2500-$3500 USD. For better accuracy with an estimate, you have to get more specific and provide a reasonable range. What you could say then, for example, is that men's shirting (button-down garments with collars) fall in the $150-$650 range. Yet even then there are, of course, pieces that fall just below or just above that all the time.

Last note: you can buy couture, but the "you" refers to the 0.00000001% of the world that has the means and desire to actually buy the pieces. Being custom-made, couture completely ranges in price, though usually rests around the six-figure mark. Celebrities do borrow the pieces for the publicity (which is where most hear of them), but there are insanely wealthy socialities, businesswomen, wives of powerful figures, etc. around the globe who can drop, say, $250k on an Armani Prive gown just because.

9. Default Re: Fashion is weird.

ahh totally true Dan! I guess I was just basing those prices off that particular McQueen collection in the "timeline" picture I did above. (bags like you said usually fetch for the amount you said! $$$$)

for the couture pieces I just heard that houses usually don't particularly deal with customers until they go through a process in which there was some kind of mutual relationship (prob to boost brand image!) and then they can borrow or even purchase. Maybe I'm wrong though lol!

10. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Yeah that McQueen collection was on the expensive side for RTW, but then again so are all of the house's since their RTW really borders on couture most of the time.

And you're right, they don't. The "customers" I mentioned before are just private clients, a distinct difference in title as there are so few of them they're able to have one-on-one relationships with the designer. In addition to editors and buyers, it's these private clients that make up the audience at couture shows and who the brand is really selling to. But yes, you'll almost never see couture for sale in boutiques.