1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up? Free invites and coaching!

7/1/2013: Sadly, this event isn't looking like it'll be happening. It's going to be canceled.

I think it can be a fun way to introduce LoL players and new MOBA players on Southperry to the game, and just have some wacky fun. New to the game? No problem!

I'm hoping I can get @Dusk, @Raul, @Malthe, @Words to be my co-captains on this. Additionally, @Salguod and @Even can hop in as well. If any of you guys want to host the event instead, be my guest. I'm more of an idea man rather than a host, but I'll still be willing to host this as long as I'm not the only DoTA player present that day.

Date: To be announced. If there's enough people interested, I'll set up a date most likely in July - August. Current planned date: July 6th Saturday (2 days after Independence Day)
    Planned starting time would be ~9:30-10 PM CST (~7:30-8 PM Pacific Time). If it's possible for me, I'd try to start us off at ~7-8 PM CST (~5-6 PM Pacific Time). We'll probably go until ~1-2 AM CST (10-12 AM Pacific time).

Requirements: Just the game and Steam! Ask us fellow DoTA 2 players for a DoTA 2 key so you can play. We got more keys than a janitor.

Themes: None in particular, but I can make some themed hero line ups if you want, and one or both teams can pick . Or you can just pick whatever hero you want.

Communicating: Voice chat is enabled in-game, so there's no need to enter a Mumble server or what-not. To speak in all-chat, you press Shift+Enter. All people in the Southperry chatroom that are in a game, can chat to the people in the chatroom (hope that makes sense).

Game modes: All-Pick / Single Draft / Random Draft / Captain's Mode / All Random
    Private Lobby game modes: Reverse Draft, Mid Only

All-Pick: Everyone can pick from the entire pool of heroes. No hero can be picked more than once, meaning no mirror matches.
    Single Draft: Each player is given a random STR/AGI/INT hero, and you pick your hero from the three.
    Random Draft: A random pool of heroes will be picked, and each team takes turn picking a hero to play.
    Captain's Mode: About the closest to "Draft Pick" in LoL. Entire hero pool is available. Up to 5 bans are made on each side in total, and 5 heroes get picked to be allocated among the group.
    All Random: Exactly what it sounds like. Everyone gets a random hero and will have to play them.

Reverse Draft: It's like Draft Pick, but the opposing team picks for you.
    Mid Only: Mostly for messing around, everyone can choose the same hero more than once, and only mid lane spawns creep.

Helpful information: I'll help create links to help new DoTA players, and give suggestions for beginner friendly heroes. I'll also find a link that gives some differences between LoL and DoTA.

General outline of meetup:
    -We'll be creating private lobbies so everyone can play without facing pub people. Bots will fill up any missing slots, and a chat room will be available for people to chat even while the game is still going. People who aren't in a game can still spectate the match.
    -Start off by having each team have at least 1-2 regular Southperry DoTA players on each team to help be a coach. I recommended regular DoTA players pick supports so everyone else can play a more active role so to keep things more fun for them. We'll do our best to explain what the selected hero does, as well as answer questions about items and/or builds.
    -We can create a lobby game where cheats are enabled, and go nuts.
    -Whenever enough people disperse, we'll just call it a day.

110% optional: If people really want, we can have one match or two where we pit DoTA players against LoL players; we'll handicap ourselves in some way.
    Last edited by IllegallySane; 2013-07-01 at 08:45 PM.

2. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

I like this! Feel free to ask for tips, games, keys or whatever you want. I should be getting headset soon, hopefully before the meetup :)

3. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

I'm down for this. When would it be? tomorrow-ish or what?

also the Dota players vs. LoL players match sounds like a bad bad idea. Maybe if you force the Dota players to play heroes they're awful with. I mean I'm not that good but I think unless I was playing something like Meepo that simple game knowledge and experience would probably turn the tides in my favor.

also if anyone has a membership on d2ware.net we could set up some random OMG stuff there.

4. Orbital Bee Cannon

Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

My bad. I separated the date and time and didn't bold it. I was thinking about a month from now, to give people time to read this, download DoTA 2, and just in general get loads of time to prepare. Not everyone has Steam, so they may also have to make Steam accounts just to play. Speaking of that I gotta add that in.

Playing bad heroes sound like a plan. If I were to play, I'll play someone that I haven't won a match yet with at least 3 games (meaning 0% win rate). Those would be Keeper of the Light, Tidehunter, Venomancer, or someone needlessly complicated like Invoker or Meepo. Yes you read that right, I suck with KoTL. I channel at very bad positions and get squished hard. Bad lineups can work too, like all hard carries/all supports/all initiators.

5. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

Yeah, I'll be interested. Haven't gotten to play with southperry dota players. I'm not good enough to coach though. It's tough enough keeping track of my own hero.

6. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

I won't be there then, unfortunately. I'm gone from the 15th to the 15th (or something like that), I'll be in Peru. :(

7. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

Yeah, i'm up for it. I'll also be able to jump onto any kind of team speak/skype/whatever if people feel like it.

8. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

Im up for this, but I dont know for sure if I will stay for long, the time zones screw up everything. 8PM pacific means like 4-5 am for me, not saying that I cant stay up but I might get tired as pineapple.

9. Orbital Bee Cannon

Well there's no need for you to stay up so late. Alternatively you can sleep and wake up at that time. You can also catch us at ~6-7 AM, which would at least be more ideal than waking up before the sun's even up. But hey, it'll all depend on who actually wants to show up.

10. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

Maybe change the title to something that sounds more "alluring" like Free sexy dota 2 beta invites with even more sexy tutoring for new players. Who would refuse to join us?

11. Orbital Bee Cannon

Aaaand done.

12. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

Please take all 20 of my dota 2 invites from me please.

-not even sarcasm-

@Raul; A DotA vs LoL group would end in massacre. LoL cannot really transition that well. Hell, you can't deny in LoL. They'll be flipping a sh'it just from that.

13. Orbital Bee Cannon

It's why I said "if people want". I don't think it's the best idea, but just throwing it out there.

14. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up?

I would be interested in this. I haven't played in a while, but I'm always for some casual playing. I have like 10-13 invites if anyone needs any...I'm surprised there's anyone left without one at this point.

15. Orbital Bee Cannon

So not including me, there's 5 that are totally up for it, for a total of 6. One that can possibly join by the timezone makes the meetup happen at a bad time, so up to 7. Still a month to go for more. *twiddles thumbs*

Interested:
    IllegallySane
    Words
    Salguod
    Malthe
    Derosis
    Polantaris

Wild Card join:
    Even

16. Orbital Bee Cannon

Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up? Free invites and coach

Unfortunately, as I've given this thread a good few weeks and no non-DoTA player is interested, I'm afraid this meetup is looking rather bleak. I'll have to cancel this event. Sorry everyone.

17. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up? Free invites and coach

I could totally try this game.

18. Default Re: Would people be interested in a Southperry DoTA 2 meet up? Free invites and coach

You can add me on steam for a beta key and we can play some games, I can help with very basic advice :)

EDIT: You're already in my friendlist I think o.o

19. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Thanks to @Words; now I got it.
    I'm downloading it atm, can I add you all to BL?