IGN: Sn1perel1te
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 152
    Job: Old School BM
    Guild: EbonSol
    Alliance: In One
    California

Default Wiring 2 subwoofers in a single system

A bit random, but I currently have 2 subwoofers; 1 powered sub from my new speaker system, and an old one that runs off of the front channels with the front speakers running from stereo to subwoofer to front speakers.

So I was wondering, if anyone would know if it should be possible to run the old subwoofer from the front channel outputs from my new powered sub, effectively doubling the bass and distributing the audio more evenly within the room. I am tempted to just test it, but I don't want to ruin the speakers or the stereo system.

Thanks in advance!

2. Default Re: Wiring 2 subwoofers in a single system

I'm not knowledgeable enough to know without examining the inputs/outputs, but multiple subwoofers typically doesn't make much of a difference since the human ear is really bad at localizing sounds below 200 Hz.

3. Default Re: Wiring 2 subwoofers in a single system

As long as you start with the volume controls low on everything, you won't blow anything up by experimenting. If it doesn't hum loudly or anything when you power it on, then start upping the volume starting with the farthest out devices. The only thing I can think of that might be a concern is the new sub is outputting full-power signals to the front speakers at whatever volume the whole system's set to, but I wouldn't expect the cables to be compatible if that were the case.