Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Because this will doubtlessly get everyone angry again, first, here is a kitten playing fruit ninja.

Warning: This video apparently has spoilers from

Spoiler

Ready? Let the rageahol begin!

Edit: ahahahaha. Youtube took the video down. Razmos put it best.
    Anddd its back. Can change the thread title back!
    Last edited by Lozmaster; 2013-05-28 at 05:36 PM.

2. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

Wow, it got taken down already. Good thing I watched it already, I guess.

I must live in a bubble because I completely forgot how "edgy" a lot of [the more mainstream] video games are.

3. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

The pineapple happened? O.o

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

Youtube is anti-feminist. You saw it here folks

5. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

Uh was it really that bad where she was considered a feminist? lol

6. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

There's one thing I don't understand. If a man dies for plot advancement... is that bad too? Someone could go on and say that self sacrifice promotes suicide.

I have to agree about free brutalization of a woman and the ridiculous plots coming from it. But that's just bad storywriting. And about people being convinced about women being the cause of genre violence... Is she serious? Society sees people doing it as one of humanity's largest failures already.

EDIT: It got deleted!? It wasn't THAT bad, this time, that was weird. But some of the points are really weak. I see the damsel in distress role more as a weak imagination from the writers.

7. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

Huh. Surprised they took it down after leaving the first alone for so long.

Well, she has a transcript on her site until it gets reuploaded.
    http://www.feministfrequency.com/201...ropes-vs-women

8. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

All aboard the drama train! Choo choo!

9. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

IT's back up incase anyone hasnt seen it. I'd give her credit if she actually allowed feedback, it just leaves a bad taste in my mouth when the public can't respond. All she wants is for her groupies to praise her. I also find it ironic how she attempts to victimize herself anytime the public responds. 'OMG THEY THREATENED TO RAPE ME, I CAN'T EMOTIONALLY TAKE IT".

10. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

Oh, joy. This should be fun to watch.

11. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular arguments strike back

it sure was fun!
    Spoiler

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

I never got why you guys are always post and watch these videos and then state the obvious opinion that you hated it.

13. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

In this case, Its kinda like a trainwreck, you know its going to be horrible, but you just can't look away.

14. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

One of those you love to hate it type deals.

15. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

The part about "having to beat women to make them come to their senses, for their own good" was actually quite horrible when you think of it that way, and when you think about real domestic violence.

I kinda agreed with some of the points, some were a bit forced though.

16. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

12:24

17. I post a lot Bi Male
    uk

Lol yes, that made me uncomfortable. that was obviously scripted, I don't even understand what the point she was trying to make there was. So she's part of his bionic arm? so what? that's a good plot twist. doesn't really say anything about the feminist issue.

18. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Maybe I'm ignorant, but does anyone get these "women are inferior, they are simply waiting for my rescue" messages from playing video games? If anything it makes me want to appreciate the woman I have more, rather than how "weak" she is. I mean there's a thing called plot shield which I find much more hard to deal with.

19. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

Yet another great video, with the last few minutes especially doing a great job at bringing everything together and explaining why it's such a problem.

You're not ignorant, you're just more intelligent and conscientious than most gamers. It's important to remember, when discussing topics like these, that the average person representing the majority is the one affected by such narratives to the effects described. For example, nearly every person playing a game with rampant gun violence will not pick up an assault rifle and shoot up a crowd, but only a very small percentage remains completely pacifistic. In other words, it's the heightening of aggressive feelings/thoughts/moods during and immediately after the playing of such games that afflicts the vast majority of gamers - those to whom Anita is speaking.

The success of these games is rooted in their ability to trigger an emotional response in their players, and though not every person will up and commit acts of gun violence or violence/abuse against women, the games' incessant repetitions of the same dehumanizing actions against women alters the psychology of audiences to view the gender with less regard. Which Anita said beautifully from 20:37 - 21:30, summarizing the point with: "So when developers exploit sensationalized images of brutalized, mutilated, and victimized women over and over and over again, it tends to reinforce the dominant gender paradigm which casts men as aggressive and commanding, and frames women as subordinate and dependent."

Therefore, sure, you may have guys who "appreciate women more," but are they appreciating them more as complex, dynamic human beings, or symbols/figures of sexual love and possession ("she's MY girl!")? And even if the former is the case, are these men truly appreciate of the gender as a whole? Or do they continue to perpetuate the same institutional sexism they claim to denounce through the usage of women as the punchline for cheap jokes and other "seemingly harmless" perspectives of comedy and discourse?