Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Are you f`ucking kidding me, are you reading my posts, like, at all? Or you blatantly playing ignorant to make up arguments? I said if she doesn't allow her opinion to be discussed or challenged, directly to her, then it's invalid. Especially if she doesn't allow people to even VOTE on her video. She just assumes everyone is out to get her, thus anyone who challenges her opinion is just a hater. Hence the comparison with amy baking company, or did you miss that too?

So will her feminist army, who, by the way, are known for talking about ripping mens d`icks off and doing global castration.

./common sense

2. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

While you are probably right about her dismissing negative criticism, keep in mind that this is youtube. Any positive OR negative criticism WILL be drowned out by trolling, flaming and other such stuff. especially on such a widely known issue and series. It's hard enough finding any kind of criticism on most videos due to the flood of spam, this video would get 10x that amount of flaming.

If I was in her position I'd be looking for criticism from more mature places, article comments for example, rather than floods and floods of pathetic youtube comments.

3. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Okay then why disable statistics/ratings? Which have no abusive nature besides people spamming the dislike button? Disabling it just shows lack of credibility and confidence in her message, which you can see from hundreds of viewers have already came to roughly the same conclusions in their video responses.

4. I post a lot Bi Male
    IGN: ZesseiBijin
    Level: 204
    Job: Kanna
    Guild: NEST
    Farm: Razmosia
    uk

Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

?
    The video was taken down by people spamming the report button. Why would the dislike button be any different? whats the point of allowing for statstics and ratings if it isn't going to be accurate?

5. Default

I don't understand why we're debating about Sarkeesian over the points she's making. Come on guys.

Her points fail because the points are intrinsically flawed. Disintegrating a point of view based on the personality or the nature of the speaker is an ad hom. I do believe that she's a very blatant thief, but that is only true because I don't believe that her opinions or analysis merits anything close to the value that other initiatives the money could have gone into in order to benefit the public.

6. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

How is what we have now accurate when the only tweets/tumbles and conversation is just how "great" she is. Half of her haters would be gone in an instant if they didn't feel silenced.

True

7. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

In his very video he references her ted talk where she talked about the internet campaign against her - which shows off that it did go past the point of rude comments. A dude made an entire game about beating her up. Why would anybody subjugate themselves to that? Youtube comments are not the utopia of informative and intellectual discussion you'd like to believe. In an ideal world where 90% of the comments she left aren't hateful and misogynistic I'm sure she would leave them open. But the fact is that nothing constructive would come from her leaving comments open.

By "her feminist army" do you mean feminists that specifically support her or feminists in general? Because likening the "women supremacist" feminists to the entire modern movement is dishonest. Do you really think that if you tweeted

I have seen absolutely ZERO evidence that she won't take any challenges to her opinion! At all! Show me anywhere where somebody has posted something that disagrees with her opinion - not hateful, or anything like that - simply disagrees with her, and she has responded be dismissing their opinion. Show me ONE time that this has happened.

8. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Because if you have a bad like:dislike ratio, it hurts youtubes search ratings for the video, and would push it down search listings. AS it is now, it'll go just by her viewcount.

9. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

So heterosexual men do not have relationships with their sons, fathers, brothers, and friends that merit strong emotional reactions to their dis-empowerment or death?

Really all I could say here is "Hamlet"

10. Proton

IGN: F'uck you.
    Server: F'uck you.
    Level: F U
    Job: F'uck you.
    Guild: F'uck you.
    Alliance: F'uck you.
    Farm: F'uck you.

I think this all overstates the effect games have on us whether or not a female in involved even. The evolution of the mind is dependent on what one fixates him or herself to or rather latch onto as truths. If one wants to fixate on a game (some people have, see Grand Theft Auto) then they will. But the entire "games shape how women should be or have to be for me to like them/love them' is not true if you have any developed anima at all. If something is as cut and dry as "we put big breasts on this woman and made her love the main male character to attract the male audience" then some of us men actually ignore that because it provides no real intellectual stimulus. It is too old, too boring. And to keep going on about it is old as well. Oh and just for fun, let's see what Jung's idea about the anima was about!

Jung believed anima development has four distinct levels, which he named Eve, Helen, Mary and Sophia. In broad terms, the entire process of anima development in a male is about the male subject opening up to emotionality, and in that way a broader spirituality, by creating a new conscious paradigm that includes intuitive processes, creativity and imagination, and psychic sensitivity towards himself and others where it might not have existed previously.

The first is Eve, named after the Genesis account of Adam and Eve. It deals with the emergence of a male's object of desire.

The second is Helen, an allusion to Helen of Troy in Greek mythology. In this phase, women are viewed as capable of worldly success and of being self-reliant, intelligent and insightful, even if not altogether virtuous. This second phase is meant to show a strong schism in external talents (cultivated business and conventional skills) with lacking internal qualities (inability for virtue, lacking faith or imagination).

The third phase is Mary, named after the Christian theological understanding of the Virgin Mary (Jesus' mother). At this level, females can now seem to possess virtue by the perceiving male (even if in an esoteric and dogmatic way), in as much as certain activities deemed consciously unvirtuous cannot be applied to her.

The fourth and final phase of anima development is Sophia, named after the Greek word for wisdom. Complete integration has now occurred, which allows females to be seen and related to as particular individuals who possess both positive and negative qualities. The most important aspect of this final level is that, as the personification "Wisdom" suggests, the anima is now developed enough that no single object can fully and permanently contain the images to which it is related.

So rather than complain about feminism we should be more angry at the lack of evolution in the minds of people. But then there's freedom of speech which says that they can spew whatever nonsense they want. How are we supposed to believe that people can evolve when there is something that says that they can believe whatever they want? Evolution happens when a creature needs to find a pathway to obtain something they cannot currently obtain so that they can survive. What needs to happen is a direct rethinking from top on down of how women should be treated in all stages of life as it seems that people tend to just repeat what their parents do and keep the old ways up. We need to make abuse and things like that a thing of the past. We need to break that cycle and no amount of complaining is going to do that.

And yes I realize it would take some sort of chivalrous army to do that since there is abuse and lack of caring at all levels of the justice systems in most, if not all, countries. That will probably only stop if a female government took over or some men in government grew some balls and cared about women other than the ones they are banging.

11. Default

I can't actually think of any additional entitlement programs the government can provide exclusively for women that wouldn't over privilege them on the basis of their gender. With respect to the Equal Opportunity Employment and sexual harassment laws in place, the only thing limiting women to protest is having trouble finding a lawyer... which I find dubious given the saturation of the profession. For that matter, what types of discrimination do women feel exist and are these even significant or addressable within the framework of a solutions oriented approach? When my dad was attending school in Congo when it was formerly known as Zaire, he would be bullied and told to board the next banana boat to his home country. But when women are discriminated, it comes in the form of complimenting on their physical beauty or underestimating their work potential, however these cases aren't blatant discrimination even though it is often joked that women should be working in the kitchen.

Another reason that I find this entire gender bias x video games to be a stretch narrative is because the content of these posts contain nothing about offensive video games or feminism. If we were to actually discuss this as a real issue, then I assume the people that agree with Sarkeesian would make a list of video games that are notable for promoting gender bias and then we could have an actual discussion about whether these games are baseless enough to merit consideration of revision or ban. This would actually involve us taking an original stance on the subject matter, which is video games. By generalizing and lumping video games together as a whole, we assume that all games and companies are run by the same business mentality as others. What we fail in this approach is to establish common ground. Unfortunately doing this strips the topic into what it actually is, a parts to whole flaw by taking the worst part of some games and then blowing them out of proportion to reflect the gaming genre as a whole. PhantomRes mentioned Grand Theft Auto which contains sexual use of hookers to replenish health points, but in context of the game as a whole it remains consistent with its graphic nature that involves also gunning down cops and nonsensical use of wanton violence.

Looking back at posts that contain feminism or female subjugation, there is very little commentary on these topics. Anita was the target of rude attacks by the public during her debut of the video, however noted was the fact that this project was over funded and expensive given the resources provided. Also I don't believe that anyone thinks that Anita was really the target of an internet orgy that was going to 'rape' her and that the statements were a parody of the fact that her videos were going to feature feminist material in video games. When we actually discuss the bottom rung of society which involves girls performing sexual acts of pleasure to paid customers, the last thing we have on our mind is to attribute video games to this occupational gender bias. Even though we can allocate reasons as being societal, economic, and political we still fail to grasp the reality that the women themselves find themselves in the situation to perform because they have resigned themselves or find themselves unable to make money for a living without resorting to this type of lifestyle. When it comes down to making a decision to take on these dirty jobs, the decision to work them is a conscientious choice. The participants in this decision aren't thrust into it by unconsciously being influenced by pop music, teen drama tv, or video games but by the very real fact that they have run out of options and if they do not take on such a job, they will die.

The reality of real life comes down to living, how one can live their life more often than not remains the option than how one should live their life. What should be the focus of benefit programs and packages to equalize the playing field is to determine whether sufficient options are provided to women to get out of the hole. Women aren't restricted because they are sexualized, they are empowered by being offered the option to throw themselves into careers that cater themselves to questionable professions of lewd male service. In these situations what should be questioned aren't video games or media, but that the sense of egalitarianism isn't jeopardized for females who seek to climb higher on the social pole rather than simply dance around it.

12. Proton

Actually I was talking about some of the kids that have actually gone out and killed people because of that game supposedly. Sure they were helmed by Jack Thompson and his crusaders but it doesn't mean that people weren't killed whether or not the killers believed in the game or not. In this case for example, two of the three men killed were police officers: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18560_162-678261.html

For anyone who didn't know (like me) what happened after that, here you go:

Moore faced trial in 2005 and pleaded not guilty. The trial judge barred the defense from introducing evidence to the jury that Grand Theft Auto incited Moore's shooting spree. Moore's attorney, Jim Standridge, contended that Moore was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder at the time of the crimes. Standridge argued that Moore had been emotionally and physically abused by his father as a child.

In August 2005, Moore was convicted as charged and on October 9, 2005 he was sentenced to death by lethal injection. Jim Standridge appealed the case.

In this case it was shown that real life things influenced his problems not a violent game that he played for days on end. It was a tipping point perhaps but it was inevitable since he was so focused on taking revenge for something, anything. Real life has more of an effect on anyone more than any video game scenario presented. Which brings me back to the evolution idea. You have to evolve to get over problems both in real life and those in the mental realm. If you or perhaps the one(s) causing you problems don't evolve then you/they come to tend to come to a conclusion in which any event that affects that problem will trigger a reaction.

13. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

...Except ya know, taking the freedom to discuss her plot holes. Instead we have hundreds of response video's of which case she ignores, along with any form of communication. You can't prove it unless you go into her goddamn personal emails. And you're expecting twitter to be a source of debate? Are you f`ucking serious, I lol'd.

..Jesus christ it's too frustrating to talk to you. Like entirely, the very video I presented to you presented two examples of whiplash.

...So ignoring a point is considered challenging these days? You or I can't prove that because unless you have access to her account's, we don't even know what is being said. Plenty of video responses, with TONS of likes, but I can't expect her to respond to them. Seriously, she was crying over "Tits or get the pineapple out". She's melodramatic PERIOD.

14. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Have you had an entire community backlash against you? Because yeah, something like "tits or gtfo" isn't terribly harmful in a vaccuum, as one dumb comment. But when that builds up it can hurt. A lot. How would you feel if somebody made a flash game about beating you up? Where the entire point was to click your face until it got bloody and bruised? I don't think it's melodramatic to be upset about an entire campaign waged against defaming and insulting you. It's not a singular youtube comment, it's an entire community of hatred.

And yeah, the "amazing" athiest showed two comments in response to something he wrote. Wow!!! There are mean people on both sides of the issue!!! But two people on tumblr being hateful does not equate to an entire community's hate campaign. Is what they said worse because they're "actually" hateful of men? No, because you don't make those kinds of comments, no matter how much they're just trolling or jokes, unless you have some sort of issue with what is being said. It's not the words, it's the message behind them.

15. Proton

*shakes hands with Harrison for our little intelligent talk*

*watches KhainiWestand Kabanaw have a peachfest*

This is exactly like Youtube. All the good stuff gets muddled up in two+ people complaining about the little details. Anybody on Youtube simply think that the LOTR trilogy was good as it was presented? NO. They just complain about the stupid bird being there available all the time and that they could've taken it and saved us 6 hours of life.

16. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Yeah, I'm pretty much done arguing whether Anita is a good person or a bad person or a good feminist or a feminazi or anything like that because nobody is going to convince anybody and there's not enough factual information about her personally to actually come to a determination.

Still willing to actually debates the merits of the video itself though.

17. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

This is needlessly obnoxious. And intelligent conversation? I know the concept of tone doesn't come across to you, but he's talking down to you, because from the information you posted, it was retarded point to make.

1) Little details? So what, the fact that she silences everyone based on bad feedback which in fact is pretty petty in comparison is not a stand alone point? Of course it is. All youtubers, ALL OF THEM, deal with this. Yet, the moment SHE had to, she had to make a goddamn presentation about how "Tits and get the pineapple out" is just heart piercing. She's melodramatic and victimizing herself IRONICALLY by trying to hide all criticism.

2) By your logic, anything on youtube would be badly rated/attacked over "mundane" things. Which is utter bull sh`it. How you present yourself, in and out of the video really determines the feedback. Half the rage these people have is they can't reflect their opinions. If you watch my video's you can see this perspective is not only shared by me, BUT IS ENTIRELY THE PROBLEM.

Get off your high horse.

18. Default

I wasn't talking down to him. I avoided his commentary on Jung and anima because I didn't it get into it when I took psychology. I also haven't responded to his latest material because I'm being lazy.

Harrison used to be my friend. I don't know what happened of him though.

They feel that Anita Sarkeesian is a point of interest. There's nothing wrong with it. The conversation just doesn't have much merit in my opinion.

19. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

Really? Only one person on this forum has that kind of posting style and it sure as hell isn't Harrison.

Another TAA video relating to feminism and also to what she is trying to paint as wrong in video games and such.

Last edited by MetaSeraphim; 2013-05-29 at 11:19 PM.

20. Default Re: Tropes Vs Women 2 - Damsels In Distress Part Two : Circular Arguments Strike Back

It's not that big of a difference. D:
    Looking through the different years, it's interesting to note that in 2006, around 38% of players were female. Just looked at the Canadian site as well for kicks. 2011 shows 38% of players being female and 2012 shows 46%. :D