1. Default About domain servers

I'm a total noob when it comes to DNS, so I'm trying to learn.

A:

ME: Sup ISP
    ISP: Sup
    ME: What's the IP address for thiswebsitedoesnotexist.com?
    ISP: Lemme check my cache.
    ISP: It's not in the cache. I have no idea.

How does the ISP eventually determine it can't find the DNS record that I want?

B:

ME: Okay, just finished setting up BIND on Metaserver Chinch. How you doing chinch?
    CHINCH: Mighty fine, thank you.
    ME: How many slave nodes do you have?
    CHINCH: A whoooooole bunch
    ME: Okay, I want you to tell all of your slaves to tell the world you have the domain Facebook.com and it points to MMIP, my malicious IP. Okay?
    CHINCH: Sure.
    CHINCH: Hey, Comcast.
    COMCAST: Sup.
    CHINCH: I have this domain Facebook.com. It points to MMIP. It's the newest record for Facebook.com, and I'm the authoritative DNS server for this record.
    COMCAST: Oh, I see then. I must be wrong. Thanks for the update!
    ME: Hey, Comcast, I want to go to Facebook.com
    COMCAST: Lemme check my cache.
    COMCAST: Oh, it's MMIP.
    ME: Thanks!

What exactly prevents this from happening?

C:

ME: Okay, just finished setting up my domain on namecheap. How you doing namecheap?
    NAMECHEAP: Mighty fine, thank you.
    ME: Okay, namecheap, you have the domain foobar.com, and foobar.com points to MMIP, my malicious IP. Okay?
    NAMECHEAP: Sure.
    ME: Tell everyone you know about this domain.
    NAMECHEAP: Okay.
    NAMECHEAP: Hey, Comcast.
    COMCAST: Sup.
    NAMECHEAP: I have this domain foobar.com. It points to MMIP. It's the newest record for foobar.com, and I'm the authoritative DNS server for this record.
    COMCAST: Oh, thanks for the update namecheap!
    ME: Hey, Comcast, I want to go to foobar.com
    COMCAST: Lemme check my cache.
    COMCAST: Oh, it's MMIP.
    ME: Thanks!

Why does C work but B doesn't?

2. Default Re: About domain servers

I think you might have more luck if you asked on Server Fault. Or Stack Overflow (though I think this is now considered off-topic)?

3. Default Re: About domain servers

There are 13 root DNS servers. These servers are the ultimate authority on mapping names to addresses. If a DNS request cannot be resolved from cache, it will hit the root servers which will be able to give a definitive answer.

You can't just tell your ISP that you have control over a domain. Only the root servers are trusted with that authority. Also, if you have control over a domain, you are trusted with information about subdomains.

Domain name registrars talk to the root name servers.

It's been a while since I learned this kind of stuff but I think I got the gist of it right. A good networking book will be able to help explain DNS.