1. Default Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

And how much should it theoretically cost? Paying would not necessarily give you unlimited cubes or what have you but maybe unlock them as common drops from mobs or something like that. The vast majority of the game would still be free to play but payment would be required for maybe 4th jobs and the highest leveled continents or two. The final frosting on this cake is that some (but not all) features could still be unlocked through dedicated playing but the catch is that it would take a very long time to do so.

Thoughts?

2. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

yeah sure because switching your business model after launch is a wonderful way to not alienate your playerbase

3. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

When did Nexon ever have sympathy for non-NX spenders?

Or any player for that matter

4. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

They sure had sympathy for that massive group of magnus hackers they unbanned a while ago

5. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Honestly I'd pay a subscription up to 20 bucks (outrageous but none the less), if they implemented the changes we want and monitor it to the degree that is necessary.

6. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Pretty sure they would lose most of their free players, especially kids and other people that can't pay. Then again, not sure if they would care about their free players as much. But it would definitively stop many people from joining. On the up side, less likely regular users would be able to make Hot time or other mules, so there is that.

7. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Nexon would never meander away from Free to Play. They are really vocal about how they were the pioneers of Free to Play games. Changing how they monetize their biggest IP would ruin them.

8. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

I'd pay without any regrets if that mean the CS would be limited again to only cosmetic items which have no impact on the way the game is played, with the exception of pets maybe.

Yes its never gonna happen but thats a highlight to any other companies out there that could be thinking to delve into developing a game like this.

9. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Keep the f2p (I use the term loosely) model, and add a "VIP" system like CDnF. Pay a small monthly premium and get small bonuses for being a VIP; perhaps receive an allowance of Power Elixers and a 2x exp and 2x drop 30min/1hour buff card every day, maybe increased drop chance at bosses, discounts on CS items, special VIP-only vendors with discounted or exclusive items, EXCLUSIVE title or name tag. Nothing game-breaking, but it's also something that doesn't break the wallet. I would shell out $5-$10 for this system, because it's pretty nice to have in CDnF, and still leaves the base f2p model.

10. Proton Male
    IGN: Verrijzenis
    Server: Scania
    Level: 230
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: Scandalous
    Alliance: Scandalous
    Farm: Hollywood
    usa

Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

$20 per ... month? year? Either way lol, 20 bucks is not nearly outrageous compared to what people spend here and there right now. I wonder how much the average invested Mapler who is still working on their gears spends in a month. Someone should start a poll.

11. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

a month? Isn't WoW 15$ a month ._.

12. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Im aware, but that's how much I'm willing to sacrifice for a playable maplestory.

13. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Passion knows no bounds

14. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

I challenge you to find me an MMO that isnt a piece of sh`it. I have tried dozens and none of them even hold a candle to blade and soul unfortunately. Maplestory maybe simple but at least its aesthetically pleasing and used to hold a "go explore yourself" type of deal.

15. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Hmm I can't really help you as I honestly know nothing of your tastes. Still I don't disagree with you either. If you love something you'll defend it no matter how terrible it might seem to others. I had a blast spending my time playing WoW, but no game is perfect. I'm eagerly awaiting the revival of DFO by Neople.

16. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

Probably a VIP system would work well. I know in TERA online, people who pay the monthly fee gain access to mounts, extra dungeon runs per day, bonus exp, discounts on cash equips and lower in-game taxes.

17. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

For it to work It's would have to give monthly/weekly bonuses as well s get rid/raise daily limits of bosses and character traits.

18. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

option to block smegas + extra boss runs and raised trait limit. Maybe offer 1-2 free 1 hour 2x exp and drop coupons per week?

Reduced taxes could be nice to those who merchant alot, but i cant see nexon offering reduced prices in cash shop stuff for this.

19. Trump minus th money
    IGN: xparasite9
    Server: Windia
    Level: 250
    Job: I/L Archmage
    Guild: Aerial
    Alliance: N/A

Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

shoot mang, while we're on that subject, how about the Mabinogi model?

20. Default Re: Could Maplestory work with a (optional) one time fee?

It would require them to do a massive re-tooling of how you progress your gear and character in this game, because right now its all balanced around the assumption that you are playing for free. Thusly, your progress is supposed to be measured in time dedicated, which (in theory) should translate into better gear because you put in the time to run through many sets of gear required to achieve good stats.

So if they were to switch to a subscription based model, they would have to change their many different systems that occasionally reset your progress so you don't progress too quickly. Things such as destroying equipment, or a terrible potential pool that can not only give you stats you dont care about, but also give varying amounts of them, all of which is random. So you have to continue playing to optimize your gear in the long run. But, of course, you can allegedly shorten the required time by buying shortcuts through Cash Shop, such as pot resets, protection scrolls, etc. I say allegedly because even when buying this crap all you are doing is upping your chances, and not by much, so youre still left having to dedicate more time and money long-term to progress(all of which is intended, by the way).

Contrast this with other games that successfully run subscriptions, such as WoW, Wildstar, and Final Fantasy 14, whose progression is fairly linear and straight forward while also lacking the retarded prolonging gameplay mechanics such as destroying gear. Your ability to progress your character, whether it be in gear, levels, or in-game achievements, is measured by time put in and your ability to overcome the obstacle. Obstacles such as a raid boss, opposing players in Arena/Battlegrounds/open world, or dungeons. If you are able to overcome the obstacles, you get rewarded, and can enjoy your reward almost instantly. Almost instantly because there are obviously enhancements to use on it, such as enchanting from WoW or the various gem systems from across MMOs, but these sorts of systems, once again, dont destroy your gear and force you to start over.

Basically every facet of maplestory was designed to keep you playing, and hopefully keep you spending money to provide you with a sense of progression, which encourages spend money(to keep progressing, rinse and repeat). All the while distracting you from the fact that the entire progression system is designed to KEEP YOU FROM ACTUALLY ACHIEVING OPTIMAL GEAR(widely considered to be "goal" of maplestory).

So, these are the challenges maplestory would have to overcome before they can successfully adopt a subscription-based model. The entire game, the equipment, the upgrade systems, and the bosses, are all designed around the idea of fooling you into staying in the loop of acquiring gear and upgrading it to defeat bosses that are absurdly scaled to require you to have this near-perfect gear.

My opinion? I would love for Maplestory to switch to subscriptions. Ive played the game since I was 13, and it has always been a good platform for me to interact with my friends. But, it would be nearly impossible for Maplestory to make the switch because the entire game is designed to keep you in that constant loop I mentioned. The loop that does not exist in WoW, Wildstar, etc. In those games, you put in time, overcome challenges, get gear, and then optimize your character to overcome those obstacles more efficiently. Then, you wait for more content to be released to do it all again.