View Poll Results: Do you Freeze up at towns when playing? (Post also if you think you're PC is old/new)

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

43 47.78%
  • Nope

47 52.22%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Cash0 How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

This isn't just a minor complaint. The town freeze is so bad, I can barely move in it (and have to avoid the town altogether) just to stop the lag.

I would like to know just how many people suffer from this as I do (simply because of the terrible way that Cassandra, Gaga, Maple Admin are coded) When I'm at Aquarium's town map, I have no such lag simply because the erronous NPCs aren't in it.

My PC is kind of old but I've never really had an issue with getting around until the problems started occurring with the particular NPCs.

edit: Apparently some have pretty new PCs/laptops yet still will freeze in towns because of the aforementioned NPCs. Are you one of those people?
    edit: Poll title should say "your" not "you're". derp :P
    Last edited by IImaplers; 2013-05-14 at 07:10 PM.

2. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

I don't get frozen but I did notice that the frame rate got a little choppy in Leafre after the anniversary patch. Haven't tried other towns.

3. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

I have never had trouble with town lag and have never experienced frame rate drops over the past ~4 years.
    Both laptops I've used have had 8gb+ RAM and good graphics cards.

4. Water
    IGN: DrkLilith
    Server: GAZED
    Level: 210
    Job: DarkCryokinesis
    Guild: TheAura
    Alliance: Aura
    Farm: FIareon (dead)

Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

I lag a lot in all of the towns except the El Nath market....where I mostly afk because that's one of the free market portals where I can just go in w/o the fear of lagging. (There's henesys too but I don't like going there.) :b

5. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

Let me put it this way, I run games from Korea with triple A game graphics better than I run maplestory from california.

6. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

I only get it when running an xp VM.

7. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

If you have a weak computer you will have town lag, it is almost a universal law. While Nexon could fix this particular problem in a number of ways, there is always the option of getting a new computer that aint got 10 years under the belt.

I suppose slow internet might be a factor too but the main issue is lack of memory.

The unstable state of MS aint got nothing to do with user computers, but the town lag is different.

8. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

I've had town lag even when my computer was considered new (6 years ago) but I've never literally frozen like I am doing now because of those messed up NPCs.

9. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

Never suffered from town lag on my laptop (4gb RAM Macbook, few years old now, got it in 2010 I think) and I don't on my Desktop either (8gb RAM, 3 months old). Only places I lag on the laptop are places with a high number of people (FM, event maps), somewhat the same on my desktop but far less. Mostly just to render the characters/animations and after 20 seconds or so it'll be fine.

On the topic of things that suck about GMS, the time it takes to open the game. That's pretty awful too. JMS/KMS/EMS take less than 10 seconds to load and GMS takes between 20 and 50, and crashes if you click it while it's struggling to load. =/

10. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

6 years ago this town lag issue did not exist. The current problem is Cassandra and Gaga, and we had neither back then. We even had the NPC for years before Nexon made them the memory hogging monsters they are today. Comparing what your new computer did back then to the current problem is pretty dang pointless.

11. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

I would like to see an static of all computers of ms users who suffer from town lag

12. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

I've had one of my laptops for 5 years and it runs MS okay. A little bit of lag but a lot of d/c issues mostly due to internet (but occasionally I'll d/c from ccing or out of no where).

I got another laptop while my older one was getting repaired... but this "new" laptop has worse specs than my old one because it was supposed to be temporary. This is the laptop that suffers from unbearable town lag. I generally only play GMS on it with mule characters (give myself HS etc). It's just terrible...

With other versions of MS I don't have town lag on either computer.

13. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    north korea

To be more precise, I had lag with maps that were inhabited by lots of players (mostly in henesys ch 1 or GM events) way back in 2007. Regardless, the point I was obviously making was that the NPC problem factors more into my current town freeze problem than the age/capability of my PC.

14. AFK at Ch 18 Leafre Straight Male
    Nion's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: GreenTeaSip
    Server: Scania
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Symbolism
    Alliance: Lore
    Farm: Symbolism
    California

I don't really feel the lag on my computer; only gameplay lag whenever 2x rolls around.

15. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

For those who don't suffer from town lag, Keep track of how much memory is used when you're in a town.

16. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

Spoiler

That's my 'typical' setup, just Skype, Spotify and Google Chrome open, no town lag.

Edit: Just noticed the FPS is 49, it's usually very steady at 60, I guess it was lower because I was tabbing out/back in a lot. I'm sitting in town near Cassandra now and it's at 60.

17. Brick Male
    IGN: ZeroCA
    Server: Windia
    Level: 21x
    Job: Zero
    Guild: EssentiaI
    Alliance: N/A
    Farm: ReneMule
    usa

I do not experience town lag. However, when I'm in a town, my RAM usage goes up to good 0.9-1.2 GB from the usual ~0.6GB.

18. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

My older desktop (2005, pentium 4) gets killer town lag - it's built up over time, when I got it, MS played perfectly smoothly, no problems at Zakum, FM entrance, or any of the traditional places to d/c.

My newer desktop uses near 100% of one cpu core for towns, but doesn't lose fps yet. Probably just a matter of time.

19. Default Re: How many here suffer from town lag/freeze?

My computer isn't very good, and I only lag in fm cc 1

20. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: Combobro
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 230
    Job: Aran
    Guild: SolarWinds
    Alliance: Dominion
    Arizona

When big bang first came out, I could hardly move in towns. After I upgraded my computer the town lag stopped completely. In the last few months it started to get really bad again, but my hard drive died, and so I upgraded my computer again which made the lag go poof.