Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

Then you're using the wrong word's.

Noun

The use of violence and intimidation in the pursuit of political aims.

Drug cartels manipulate the black market of essentially drugs and weapons, use the money and influence to pay off authorities. Look at mexico, that is terrorism, what exactly does Muslim zealots want? They have no demands besides "die", that sounds more like a genocide issue.

Which kind of defeats the point of gun regulation since they have no problem smuggling tons of cocaine through Canada let alone high powered rifles.

2. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

Lol, you really are very condescending when you post. The definition you just provided is exactly what I said (although I admit more eloquently stated). Fine. I can see how they could be engaging in some terrorism considering they need to change the political climate of Mexico in order for them to successfully keep trafficking their drugs. However, it seems to me that their primary goal is to keep selling their drugs and weapons, where they only want political power/control in order to ensure that their quotas are met.

What do Muslim extremists want? Idk specifically, but maybe you should do some more research on the issue. Considering the U.S. has been involved in Middle Eastern affairs for decades (and more heavily in this past decade), they may want us to leave them to their own devices. Clearly the U.S. entering Afghanistan and supporting moderate Muslims over Taliban extremists (just one example) is going to piss some people off.

Then there is also the issue of Israel. Many Arab nations feel that the Jews stole Palestine from them and want it returned to the Muslim people. Considering the U.S. is Israel's primary supporter on the international stage, maybe they are pissy over that?

Or maybe it could be that Muslims abroad feel threatened by U.S. interests? Our first world, Christian, democracy against their fundamental Muslim regimes? There is quite a bit of anti-Islamic sentiment in this country and that is guarenteed to scare some people into action. (Of course I am generalizing here because there are so many different Middle Eastern countries that hate us for a lot of reasons that I don't know who to specifically talk about).

3. Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

I wanted to post earlier but had class and now I see that, as usual, the discussion is sorta off-topic.
    However, I think the disagreement some you have towards Justin's opinion is unjustified. His point, which comes off as racist, is valid, not for being rational, but because of our nature. We tend to associate things for many reasons, one of them, and the one that applies in this case, is survivability. We're always doing it and just because it's politically incorrect in some cases we won't stop doing it. It may be racist, it may be irrational but is one tool we need to make sense out of the world, out of other people.
    I think it's pretty hypocrite to criticize that kind of association, just because it's politically incorrect, when we've been educated in doing similar or worse ones, ie: pretty people= good, ugly people= evil. And that's just one example, because people do it with anything.
    In my case, I avoid people in the street that uses certain kind of clothes and have certain looks (usually poor people's looks) because I associate them with robbers. Sure, it seems as classicism but every time I've been mugged it's by someone that looks that way. Sure, I might be wrong sometimes, but I'm not idiotic and I won't take any chances; mainly because I don't like it when people rob me or because they can be dangerous. It's basically the same in this situation and, as Justin said, the kid should be prepared for such assumptions because it's dumb to think that people will stop doing them.

4. Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

It's essentially street lobbying.

I think a fair assessment is when the United States gave aid to Iraq against the soviest I believe, tried to force western culture (We built small communities only for them to have their camels sleep in them) in Osama's eyes "sacred" ground. That's what spawned his hatred specifically to America, rather than Christianity/Jewish religions which aren't the true religion. So really this has been a seed from 198x-2001.

In the end they want eradication, nothing less, I don't know how that has any political or any general gain to begin with.

5. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

Wait wait guys I have a point.

What bright terrorist will carry around a pressure cooker right after the Boston marathon bombings? Herp derp, it worked 2 months ago, surely people won't be vigilant towards Muslims carrying pressure cookers?

6. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

Right, that kind of thing also happened in Afghanistan. I agree that it has been an issue for decades now that is still continuing today. I think that the extremists want to see the defeat of our way of life and the continuation and ascension of theirs. Your point that the U.S. tends to push its culture on other countries is also be a reason that Muslims feel threatened and could be reacting negatively. There is no way that they only want to see the completion of a "western" genocide because I would like to believe that they could not possibly be that stupid and mindless. I have already listed several political outcomes that they could want to achieve besides just trying to kill people and I think many of those have been used to rally people into their jihad on the west.

7. Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure cooker

wait omg what. youre not being serious are you.

8. Default Re: FBI surrounds house of Saudi student after sightings of him with pressure coo...

you know maybe he didn't even know a pressure cooker was used in the bombing, I know I didn't.