1. Default Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I've just got me a gaming desktop, an HP Envy yesterday and realized that the browsing and downloading speed are ominously slow. This is my download/upload speed.

Download Speed: 959 kbps (119.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 84 kbps (10.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

Restarting the Router did nothing despite having three bars in my room, adjusting the desktop in my room did nothing. I have no idea what is going on.

Meanwhile, my near dead laptop, which runs on the same wifi, still connects with ease.

Second Test

It's a Windows 8, if it helps.

EDIT: Ok, I realized that my internet connection's ok so far, it's the Downloading/Uploading speed that's the main issue.
    Last edited by Arrol; 2013-05-05 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Got my Speedtest

2. Can you hear it?
    street's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: Street
    Server: Windia
    Level: 15x
    Job: I/l mage
    Guild: Imperial
    Alliance: Royal
    Washington

Call your internet provider they will refresh your connection. What speed are you initially suppose to have

3. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

Isn't comcast stuposed to provide 20 up/down?

4. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

Depends on the service plan. Especially if you got the Triple Play crap, they love to sneak in crappy Internet with the option of getting better speeds for more money.

5. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

You're on Wifi. Network card and distance to router are potential factors. Try plugging in and seeing if that makes it better.

6. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I bought that desktop for my room, but my room is 2-3 rooms below my router.

7. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I'm not an expert here, but would this show up as packet loss on pingtest.net?

8. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I gotta get Java.

Ok, from what I can gather from this, I can conclude that in my room, my wifi drops out constantly, despite my signal icon showing 3/5 bars. This may be the same for my Wii U. I don't know what to do. Should I get a new modem, should I get a router booster?

9. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

wireless won't work in your situation well without high expense
    run a wire.

your problem is that the electromagnetic field your router is putting off is getting baffled by the walls and floors of your house.

10. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I don't have a long enough wire for my room.

Also, my router never acted this bad when we first bought it. We even tried putting a foil tent to help, but that didn't last long.

11. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

What kind of router is it?

That doesn't do anything.

12. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

Linksys E2500 Advanced Wireless-N Router
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=16803166

Do you need my wireless adapter? It's built-in.

13. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

Ok, an update.

I placed my Desktop downstairs, right next to my router and other desktop. Internet's moving faster than a Puma, yet the downloading time for my Flashget is downloading at 6.8kb a sec on a 7.8 mb file. Is it supposed to be slow?

14. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I was just asking to check what kind of range you were looking at for the router. If speedtest is fast but a download is slow, it's probably the download servers for whatever you're downloading. Though that seems ridiculously slow.

15. Default Re: Why is my New Desktop so Slow?

I guess. I think I should get a booster or something.