Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default How much power is enough power?

We go through our maple lives trading equipment, leveling up and fusing/cubing equipment to make our character the most powerful they can be, but is there a limit to this power. Not a physical limit preventing you from achieving more power but a mental one. A power limit where decide if there is any meaning in attaining more power.

Now in maple most all obtainable power is described at damage but the game also offers some in defense ,speed , versatile. Since Maple is an MMO power in groups is perfectly ok because it promotes cooperation and communication. Kinda the point of making a game an MMO.

My question to you is to describe and discuss what is enough or too much power for an individual character in maple. Also what is your limit to power if you have one?

For me too much power for an individual in maple is when:
    1) large Increases in damage amount to the individual not being able to access more content. So killing the same bosses, only faster
    2) Character has no/little cons but Massive pros. I remember reading somewhere that maple characters are basically demi Gods.

Enough power
    1) There are some things you can't do simply because your class isn't Fit enough for it.

MY LIMIT to power:
    At first I though my limit would be when I capped with Eruption. But I feel after that I just got stronger due to easy power creep. I will say that I think my limit is when I can do what I want when I want to. I don't care to do things faster but just to completion. I'm not as social as before so its more soloing than anything. I end up trying to upgrade survivability but maple is very stingy in that regard so I tend to do more power until I can do what I wish to accomplish.

Tell me what you guys think is too much power for a person and/or your own limit to increasing your power.

P.S. I wasn't sure if this needed to be in discussion or Q/A. I figured the thread would be lacking in the A department so I put it here. I apologize if this is the wrong section.

2. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

i swapped off my battlemage for a bit for an i/l because being powerful to the point where the challenge is gone isn't fun

3. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: GatlingPunch
    Server: Bellocan
    Level: 200
    Job: Gear 2nd Pirate
    Guild: Virtues
    Alliance: NARs

Default Re: How much power is enough power?

For me, it'll probably when I can annihilate those Stronghold mobs in mere seconds. Will I achieve that level of power though? The answer will be how my wallet would hold out.

4. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

My class isn't fit for certain content and it makes me feel like it's pointless to upgrade more. Classes that are immune to statuses, or can ignore DR, are just plain on a different tier in terms of bossing availability.

The ramp up on bosses is just too sudden for me. There's Zakum and Hilla - Zakum doesn't do anything lethal, and Hilla has revives. Then there's HT and PB - both with lethal skills that must be avoided, but with reasonable HP. Arkarium, lethal skills, huge HP, but you can revive. And then there's Empress, Chaos Bean, etc. - with half a dozen lethal skills, no free revives. Hard mode Root Abyss and Magnus - some revives, but insanely high HP. Enough HP that classes are locked out based on the damage cap - how ridiculous is that, a boss that can't be beaten because you'd have to be cheating to do enough damage.

I can probably take down PB, with practice and the right party. I can solo HT and lower. But the step up to Empress and CPB? It's such a huge shelf that I'm not motivated. I'd need to pretty much start from scratch on gear. I have a 40% bossing weapon and that's just plain mediocre compared to what some players have.

5. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

The price of absolute power? To the average mapler, no power is enough. Greed is a dangerous, dangerous thing.

6. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: Dailom
    Server: Windia
    Level: 188
    Job: Wild Hunter
    Guild: Caelia
    Alliance: HighOrder

I don't really like being on a powerful class so much as I like making my character powerful over time through upgrading equipment and patiently waiting for updates and "balance" patches.

Oh yeah and the thread title reminded me of this...
    Grant Me POWEEEEEEEEEEEERRR!!

7. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

Funny Dracula should criticize man and then mutate into a complete abomination shortly thereafter.

8. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

Yea, it has become a real problem this.
    At the moment I main a DB and it is fairly high when it comes to funding. I have started to find it a tad dull though, be it because it is lvl 200, that it is not new anymore or just a boring class in general.
    What Nexon has done is that, despite the myriad of classes, it is really hard to switch main. I must pick a thief unless I want to let all my gear go to waste, and even if I decided to choose a non-thief my options are very limited to avoid a downright down grade.
    I have a lvl 200 NL, but the class revamps made them into a totally different class that I find both useless and ugly, Shadowers are much the same, but at least they are not as crappy. Phantom's theme is not for me, and Xenon is just a clusterpineapple of fan service. The upcomming Night Walker revamp is the last hope I have for a NL done right.
    I am slightly fond of my lvl 135 Wild Hunter but compared to a Blade Master it can't do very much in neither the grinding nor the bossing department. And the thought of funding a new class from scratch save for a clean Fafnir Xbow... Dear god, the cubing... The cubing...

So what do I end up doing? Log on just to afk. I have not actually played Maple for months, save for those few hours it took to get Hayato to 70 and Kanna to 120.

Oops that became a rant, but it does relate to the topic. Too much power not only makes the game become too easy, it also limits your options in a way.
    Last edited by CarrionCrow; 2013-04-30 at 04:22 AM.

9. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

I had just enough power before the season 2 patch with the ability to effectively solo all bosses up to Pink Bean and I was satisfied with it since I could bring my friends along for more fun. Now? I might time out or get killed fighting even Czak, a boss I used to finish in less than 5 minutes. I say that's enough because I'm not putting in any more money.

I would also not fund any other class as most of the others have some fundamental or stylistic weaknesses that I can't tolerate.

10. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

I don't think there's ever enough power, I mean equipment that we're working so hard to upgrade eventually becomes obsolete. New equipment comes out, the cap could be raised, and a new standard of godly is set. So we're at a crossroads, most of us at least: we can either choose to spent additional but MASSIVE amounts of money to find the quickest means for the new standard of godly, spent endless amounts of hours learning to merch effectively to avoid spending lots of real money, or just be accepting of the fact that people will have a significant amount of better damage than you.

11. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

a 20-30 k range is usually enough <.< more than that is just kinda boring IMO.

12. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

"More"

13. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    usa

Huehuehuehue

14. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

Better question is: Who is greedier and more corrupt, the majority of players or the company itself?

15. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

If I had money: Hitting a few million per hit would be okay. No need to get to 50 million.

Since I don't have money: 32k range yay.

16. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

Meanwhile at Nexon...

17. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

Who is greedier? Both groups are greedy, but in different ways. The company wants/needs to make revenue and clearly they have set up their game in a way that maximizes this for them.

On the other hand, many players constantly try to take advantage of others (as that is the way the free market is set up) as they try to reach the next tier of power. It would seem that is the nature of this game.

I don't really see either Nexon or the players as corrupt though. Nexon does what they have to to maintain their game and keep us interested (or at least they try). I don't see how corruption applies to the players...

18. Flatpanel TV Straight Male
    IGN: ° ͜ʖ °
    Server: DEGZA
    Level: T_T
    Job: This is FParta!
    Guild: I like toast
    Alliance: @__________________@
    north korea

I can give you a multitude of examples:

1. Want godly items? Duped ones are available everywhere for cheap. (Yes, if you've knowingly bought them, you've been corrupted).
    2. Want to level quicker? Nexon's failure at catching hackers gives you good reason to bot.
    3. Glitch abuse. Nuff' said.
    4. The mentality of the merchant and/or scammer. Buy low (or for nothing) and sell high. It corrupts to the point of the merchant/scammer thinking what they're doing is perfectly fine.

Maplestory was never as competition-driven, an enabler of selfishness, and capitalist-crony (within the players' mentality AND the company) as it's been in recent years. If people fail to see this, they're just naive.

19. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    usa

Alright, I see your point. However most of those points seem to have been created out of greed, so it seems the two play off one another. If the merchant mentality = corruption, then I will admit I am corrupt. It is hard a f'uck to make money in this game and therefore I have personally had to change my mindset to survive and be able to upgrade. I guess everyone draws the line somewhere.

20. Default Re: How much power is enough power?

Welcome to Economics 101. Buy low, Sell high. Is there any other obvious statements you'd like to make?