Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Wireless internet speed?

I recently got a new router and I've not really had any issues with my internet until the past week or so, but since last Monday my desktop computer has been getting a significantly slower connection than my laptop. Using speedtest.net, it says the Desktop (pretty much brand new, got it in February) is getting around 15mbps, whereas my laptop which I've had since 2009 is getting between 35-52mbps. There's gotta be something wrong since the difference is so huge, but I don't know what it is.

I'm with Virgin Media in the UK if it makes a difference, my advertised speed is 60mbps and I've called them to ask but they couldn't help. Anyone have any ideas? :/

2. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

So, your desktop is new right?
    What are the specs on the wireless device on it?

3. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Yep, and I'm not exactly sure what you mean but here are the specs of the network tab when using Speccy (if this isn't what you meant then let me know and I'll find out):

Spoiler

This is the stuff under Network adapters in device manager:

Under WiFi status in Control Panel it says the desktop speed is 72.2 Mbps, and the laptop is at 117.0 Mbps.

4. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Check for the latest drivers for your device (Which is Dell Wireless 1703 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHz) adapter )
    Also check that your router has the same frequency for your device (your device is 2.4ghz), I doubt this could be the problem (the frequency.
    Keep in mind that WiFi signal isn't made to go through solid walls.
    So if you have your Desktop in a corner I suggest it to move it somewhere else.

5. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Drivers are updated, and, new problem, I can't go to the router configuration page (192.168.0.1). It just times out.
    The desktop isn't quite in a corner but I can't move it enough for that to make a difference, without relocating my desk downstairs at least.

6. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Oh SORRY, didn't read this:
    If this is the case, then it seems that this comes from your ISP.
    Try to test your speed again in non-peak hour.

7. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Just tried it now and my desktop got this:

And my laptop got this:

Laptop download speed is 3 times faster =/

8. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Why is your desktop testing vs. London, while laptop is Maidstone?

9. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

...you raise a good point.

This is the Maidstone server:

---

The internet on my desktop has been randomly cutting out today too.. laptop seems fine, but 4/5 times today the connection has been lost on this computer. During Skype calls it'll just drop or if I'm playing a game it'll freeze and reconnect again after a few minutes. I'm guessing it must be a problem with this computer specifically but I have no idea whats wrong with it. :(
    Last edited by Mazz; 2013-04-17 at 12:38 PM.

10. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

What I'm about to say makes no physical sense whatsoever to me, but it's what's historically happened on an anecdotal basis.

I put my desktop under the desk (the irony) with its back against a wall. I use a separate wireless receiver with a USB interface, and it's been noted that plugging the receiver in the front improves the performance compared to the back. I've never tried one of those PCI cards, so I can't be sure how well they perform when the antenna is pretty much covered up in every direction. If you have a similar set-up, then there are a few things you can try, which primarily involve moving the antenna to a more open space.

11. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

I'll do a bit of rearranging later today, I can probably put it under the desk if I move some stuff around... I got a USB WiFi adapter to see if that'd make any difference since a friend said that had worked for him (and it was pretty cheap) but it didn't change anything, I still get the same speed as I did without it.

Thanks for your help guys!

12. aka ClawofBeta Straight Male
    Corn's Avatar [Jr. Event Coordinator]

IGN: ClawofBeta
    Server: LoL.NA
    Level: 30
    Job: Bot Lane
    Guild: N/A
    Alliance: N/A
    New_Jersey

Any reason why you aren't using an ethernet for your desktop?

13. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male

Sounds like your modem/router/switch has traffic shaping.

14. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

I meant quite the opposite. In my case, extreme obscurity (having the antenna blocked in all directions) caused the throughput to suffer, so you would want to have some amount of open space around the receiver.

Also, as suggested, do a factory reset on the router to ensure that no traffic shaping is in place.

15. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

I can't use ethernet without getting the cable from downstairs in the front room up along the wall and into the floor of my bedroom, and I can't move my desktop downstairs. I don't want to destroy my house. :x

@Chew; I just checked my ISP website and I think you might be right... it says they only do that during peak hours though, and 11am on a Friday isn't a peak hour and the speeds are still vastly different.

@Kalovale; I'll factory reset it when I'm home alone later, since I'll have to set up all the computers in the house again. Thanks again for your help guys.

16. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Ok... I reset the router and it didn't change anything, and my speed on the desktop now is this:

Laptop speed, tested them at the exact same time...

Something is definitely wrong ._.

17. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

the answer:

ur wireless device contains dual band technology

18. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

What does this mean :<

19. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Dual Band Wireless Adapters can use the "N" (5ghz + 2.4ghz) in ur wireless router its usually much faster than ur average single band (2.4ghz) wireless adapters

is ur desktop connected by ethernet or is it using a wireless adapter?

ethernet is usually the fastest

20. Default Re: Wireless internet speed?

Both the laptop and desktop are on wireless.