IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Default Attack speed in reference to mages

More specifically Bishops - how does attacking speed work?

For instance, I have a staff this is a "slow" weapon if I use booster I see a faster animation and if I use SI on top of that I see an even faster animation - but am I attacking any faster or is it all just a figment of my imagination.

I notice that Righteously Indignant increases my attack speed by "one" how much do decent SI and booster increase this speed? I was always under the impression that I would use staffs with slow attack, but boost that with these skills to benefit from both the extra attack and staff gets while keeping the speed of a wand.

And then there are the players that say that attack speed does't effect mages in the slightest.

Thanks for the input

2. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

Other people can probably answer better than I, but attack speed does indeed affect your spell casting rate. You aren't crazy, the skill delays are actually shorter. As for how much shorter, you can check the attack speed reference in Game Mechanics.

The difference between mages, excepting BaMs, and other classes is that your attack speed is not determined by your staff. Hence switching between a staff or wand will show no difference. I think it's Normal (6). Booster/SI reduces this by 2 lowering the skill delay and allowing you to cast spells faster.

Again, this may not be 100% correct and there are better mage experts.

3. Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

Casting speed and weapon speed are two different things. Your weapon speed will not affect your casting speed. SI and Booster affect your casting speed directly.

4. Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

Only BaMs are affected by weapon speed. All other mages are not (with the odd exception of [old] explosion). DSI = -1, SI = -2, Righteousness = -1, AYA = -1, Inner Ability = -1, standard booster = -2.

Hadriel

5. Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

I'll just confirm that everything that everyone has said is 100% correct.

As for how much faster things get, I think the formula is something like Delay = SkillDelay*(10+AttackSpeed)/16, rounded to some multiple of 30 ms. Not sure if it uses floor, ceiling or round for the rounding.

6. Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

IIRC it's rounding per mathematical operation.

Hadriel

7. www.thatwasmykil.com
    IGN: ThatWasMyKil
    Server: Bera
    Level: 203
    Job: Battle Bishop
    Guild: Inspired
    Alliance: Virtus
    australia

Thanks everyone! :)

8. Neon Atom Straight Male

IGN: Huskey
    Server: KradiaEMS
    Level: 160
    Job: Aran
    Guild: UndiesPatrol
    Alliance: UndiesUnited
    netherlands

Quite sure it's ceiling at the end of the calculation.

9. Default Re: Attack speed in reference to mages

Ok nevermind I just realised that iAmFear did some extra stuff in his previous calculation that weren't necessary, so it's a ceiling for just one operation.

Hadriel