Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Orbital Bee Cannon
    IGN: SaptaZapta
    Server: Kradia
    Level: 275
    Job: Hero
    Guild: Matriarchy
    Alliance: Peaceful

Default Re: New Zealand Votes for Equality.

Do you have full equality between blacks and whites? Between women and men?
    These things take time, not years but generations.
    But legal equality is a very important step in normalizing the public view of gay couples and families. From the life-and-death issue of who has the right to order the plug pulled, to trivial day-to-day things like getting a family discount at the zoo.

2. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    IGN: FrozNlite
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 200
    Job: F/P ArchMage
    Guild: Brazzers
    Alliance: Heroes
    New_York

I know that, sorry if I didn't clarify that in my post. All I meant was there will never be true marriage equality until religions allow same-sex marriages in their doctrines, which is, like everyone has noted, something I doubt any of us will see in our lifetime. If ever, potentially.

News flash: "full equality" doesn't come with "legalizing same sex marriage." And that's something I want to stress to everyone reading this thread: just because LGBT people can get married doesn't mean the fight's over and equality is won. It really irritates me when people liken the legalization of same-sex marriage to full equality (not saying any of you have, just in general).

But again though, this isn't full "legal equality." Legal equality constitutes a bunch of different factors of life. Take a look at this image I snapped from a CNN quiz:

I don't want to explain everything the quiz is saying (long story short, it ranks states in the U.S. based on the progressivity of their laws with regards to certain legal groupings), but the most important elements are the areas of legality at the bottom. Full legal equality isn't met by any identity until those are all covered/protected, and even then I bet this is missing some.

3. Default Re: New Zealand Votes for Equality.

Blacks and whites? Yea. Pretty much. I mean I'm a Muslim and when I apply for a job here they turn me down as soon as they read my name on that paper. Or when people see me walking down the street they just assume I'm dangerous and I have a knife in my pocket cause I'm Turkish. (FYI I don't)
    Woman and men? Well yea. Kinda... I mean it's like not like 'THAT EXTREME EQUAL'. Like I'm not gonna punch a female cause she punched me, but I would punch her if she was a male. If you know what I mean

But yea, I guess you're right.

That seems pretty logical.
    As a 17 year old Muslim college student here in Holland I hope one day we can achieve such equality between people and leave our differences aside.

Well that's what I was trying to get at lol

4. Orbital Bee Cannon

@FrozNlite; So you define legal equality by there being specific laws to protect LGBT? That's not equal, that's preferential, in a way.

Or let me put it another way: in an ideal world, with perfect equality, a definition of marriage would still be on the books. But a law saying "you can't fire people because they're gay" would be about as pointless as "you can't fire people because they have green eyes". It'd be on those lists of funny laws that make you think "why did they ever find it necessary to legislate that?" The law should simply be "people shouldn't be fired for anything that isn't how they do their job."

5. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

Wow holy pomegranate do you actually know how social protection laws are written? It's ALL about the wording. No one seeking equality for any identity is looking for super-specific laws in addition to what's already on the books - they just want to edit the current law that says "you cannot discriminate based on" to include whatever identity for which they're fighting. Because duh, a million additional laws like you mentioned are pointless.

So really, yes to your entire last sentence, but that's what any effort of equality seeks anyways. I mean, the vast majority if not all of the same-sex marriage laws on the books or looking to be written are not new laws stating "Thou shalt now allow the marriage of the gays," but simply editing existing marriage law from stating something like "The marriages this governing body performs and recognizes are those between one man and one woman" to "The marriages this governing body performs and recognizes are those between two people" or "two consenting adults" or whatever.

The entire basis of discrimination against various identities exists in creating loopholes from these relatively minor phrases. But, after all, like I've stressed a million times on this forum, semantics is everything. I can't think of a better example.

Spoiler

6. Proton
    IGN: Mehta
    Server: Scania
    Job: Angelic Buster
    Guild: Infiniti
    Alliance: Saga

7. Orbital Bee Cannon

@FrozNlite;
    I do know how these things work. I was oversimplifying for the sake of rhetoric, but I guess that didn't work.

I know you're not looking for a law that says "don't fire gays", you're looking at the law that says, "don't fire people based on race, sex, religion, age, yadda yadda yadda" and you want to make sure it includes such terms as "sexual orientation" and "gender identity" in that list of criteria to not discriminate by.

My example still stands. There is no "eye color" or "handedness" or any number of other characteristics in that list, because nobody even thinks to discriminate based on them. That is true equality, legal and social. A state that puts "sexual orientation" in that list is acknowledging that its citizens would discriminate on that, given the chance. I don't see that as such a wonderful thing, but I suppose I'm skipping a step or three there.

8. ☮♫♥ Gay Male
    New_York

My apologies. You're absolutely right, but I think any "step or three" you may potentially be skipping would simply be trusting society to be better than it is. As you know, we sadly live in an imperfect world where people do discriminate on certain identities, given the chance, because bigotry and hatred still exist, and those with such inclinations will always look for a means to justify actions fueled by such motives.

And thankfully there aren't any religious sects or extremist groups discriminating based on characteristics like "eye color" or "handedness" (that I know of), but does that not mean some may exist? If not now, but in the future? After all, how many science fiction tales of dystopian futures revolve around such social phobias or hate? The Uglies series, for example, contains a world in which equality is revered, though beneath that shining exterior is legitimate location-based discrimination against ugliness. Stories like these bring this exact element of society into focus, criticizing the behavior while subconsciously noting it's existence in our species.

In short, I agree with you and wish it were that simple, but humans are imperfect fools. Le sigh .

9. Default Re: New Zealand Votes for Equality.

Guys don't do it I woke up this morning and there are only 3 straight marriages over the whole of New Zealand that haven't been divorced and all straight parents have forcefully had their kids adopted out to gay couples and don't even talk about the poor children now suffering mental and physical abuse. We've made a big mistake.

10. Interdimensional Rift Straight Male
    IGN: thewatch3r
    Level: 204
    Job: Lolmaster
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I'M ON IT.

11. Default Re: New Zealand Votes for Equality.