1. Default Hello from Linux

Linux Mint 14 x64 + Cinnamon installed.

Now I just need to...:
    - compile ruby and python (ruby downloading soooo slooooowwwww)
    - Finally decide between emacs and vim (though I'm leaning vim)
    - Get Xinerama working with my dual head setup. Right now monitors are mirrored
    - sudo apt-get install git
    - compile some of my own code with gcc for the hell of it
    - Find a project on github to contribute to
    - Learn how to compile windows software on linux
    - Find a decent password manager

Any of you guys ever used linux? Thoughts?

2. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

Default Re: Hello from Linux

you lost me at hello. but hello to you too

/technologically impaired.

3. GLADIGATORS
    IGN: Overburnd
    Server: Khaini
    Level: 210
    Job: Cannoneer
    Guild: Contagious
    usa

I prefer vim more than emacs for sure. Emacs is always like 3+ button awkward hotkeys if you want to do stuff

For the windows apps...gotta either use wine or get a virtualization thingy.

Also have fun customizing your environment! There's a looooooooot of cool things you can do.

4. Default Re: Hello from Linux

Code:
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~ $ vim hello.rb
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~ $ ruby hello.rb
    The program 'ruby' can be found in the following packages:
     * ruby1.8
     * ruby1.9.1
    Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~ $
    wtp ruby, I just compiled you. Why you no run.

EDIT: Aha, found it!

Code:
    /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1442:in `initialize': Permission denied - /usr/local/bin/ruby (Errno::EACCES)
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1442:in `open'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1442:in `block in copy_file'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1441:in `open'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1441:in `copy_file'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:547:in `copy_file'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:928:in `block in install'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1620:in `block in fu_each_src_dest'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1633:in `fu_each_src_dest0'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:1618:in `fu_each_src_dest'
    	from /home/fiel/ruby-2.0.0-p0/lib/fileutils.rb:925:in `install'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:157:in `install'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:330:in `block in <main>'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:758:in `call'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:758:in `block (2 levels) in <main>'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:755:in `each'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:755:in `block in <main>'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:751:in `each'
    	from ./tool/rbinstall.rb:751:in `<main>'
    make: *** [do-install-all] Error 1
    EDIT: Ran "sudo make install" instead of "make install".

Code:
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~ $ ruby hello.rb
    Hello world!
    I feel so out of practice.

Code:
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $ vim hello.c
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $ gcc hello.c
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $ a.out
    Traceback (most recent call last):
      File "/usr/lib/command-not-found", line 23, in <module>
        import gettext
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/gettext.py", line 49, in <module>
        import locale, copy, io, os, re, struct, sys
      File "/usr/local/lib/python3.3/struct.py", line 12, in <module>
        from _struct import *
    ImportError: No module named '_struct'
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $ ls
    a.out  hello.py  hello.rb  hello.c
    wut

Code:
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $ ./a.out
    Hello world!
    fiel@fiel-MS-7681 ~/Documents $
    I feel retarded jesus christ

5. Nuclear testing facility Straight Male
    IGN: VerrKol
    Server: Zenith
    Level: 204
    Job: Bowmaster
    Guild: LegacyReborn
    Farm: Kolville
    usa

I've used a number of Linux systems (CentOS, RH, Ubuntu, SUSE, etc) for work and they're fantastic. I'm not nearly as fluent as I should be, but thank fully there's a ton of sources that a quick Google can always fix the problem.

I strongly dislike both EMACS and VIM. I just use Eclipse for everything... in Windows or Linux.

I'm always a little bit ashamed that I don't use Linux at home, but I've never had the time to make a permanent switch and commercial things still don't have a Linux equivalent.

6. Default Re: Hello from Linux

vim, if you can only choose between either of those.

7. Default Re: Hello from Linux

What would you choose otherwise?

It's Linux. I can choose anything I want.

8. Default Re: Hello from Linux

I have the most experience with Eclipse (because I needed to use that specifically for my first class and I just stuck with it). I also like Notepad++ and gedit, to an extent.

9. Default Re: Hello from Linux

I SSH to a Linux terminal for all my coding assignments, but that's about it. I love the file system, I love having a C/C++ compiler built in, and I love threading and forking on Linux. But I need my Visual Studio, Microsoft Office, and games, so I stick with Windows for personal computing.

I only use vim (between vim/emacs) when there's nothing else available. Can't code comfortably without folding, syntax highlighting, and auto indent. I mostly use VS and Notepad++ / gedit on Linux.

10. Default Re: Hello from Linux

Did you pick Mint because it ~feels like Windows~? On my Windows machine I use Sublime Text 2 rather than Notepad++. I haven't tried gedit but it looks promising. If you're using GCC, I suggest getting 4.8.0 (as it's the newest release). Hell maybe you'll finally get to play around with dat C++11. Also, what stopped you from contributing to github before! If you used KeePass like me, you can use http://www.keepassx.org/ as it is similar and a port. Also you can actually get MinGW (with the windows.h header and all) in Linux, though I don't know how that works. You can use Wine as well.

11. Default Re: Hello from Linux

In many of the other things that I eventually became good at, I started off small and simple. Then, small and simple wasn't enough for me, so I started creating my own stuff until I moved deeper into the language. It'll be the same way with Linux. I have tried to go to Linux before, but I had many problems with getting the AMD drivers to work. This time around - no such problems.

What stopped me from doing stuff with git before? Ignorance, and almost all tutorials are written for linux for git. All of the cool things I wanted to do had default tutorials in Linux and it became 10x harder to do in Windows.

And no, I picked Mint because that's the go-to beginner Linux distro. I picked Cinnamon because it ~feels like Windows~.

12. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

I use Lubuntu for my netbook<3
    Even tho I don't use it for coding it makes my work so freaking easy and my netbook. 99999x faster
    Maybe only misinformed.
    If you have ever used an android device, then you have used Linux, as Linux is the very core of the Android system.
    Last edited by Chew; 2013-04-18 at 10:03 AM.

13. Donator Straight Male
    IGN: ShinkuDragon HoukaPhoenix BoshokuRaven
    Server: Scania
    Level: 152
    Job: Batman
    Guild: IDissOrtis
    panama

i meant i'm terrible at making heads or heels about coding and/or anything related (i do know of linux and ubuntu for example, but only the name and what people have said of them)

14. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

Now that I think about it...
    Maybe we can all be a Hispter Kool Kids Klub and play AssaultCube

15. Default Re: Hello from Linux

Keepass has a version that runs on Mono, which I suspect might be one option to go about porting Windows app over to Linux.

16. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

I feel this thread is relevant to my interests and career choice, but then my procrastination and chronic boringness kicks in simultaneously.

17. Default Re: Hello from Linux

I have VM I use at work running Mint/Cinnamon. I have troubles with the VM and Mint's "hot spot" so I have to disable it to even function.

I am familiar with git, as well as compiling ruby and python on linux. My minecraft/web server runs off of opensuse (which I am liking less and less every day)

If you asked me 1 year ago if I knew anything about Linux, I would tell you I know the basics. I now know some pretty..intermediate stuff, but I am in no way a pro. One step at a time.

I suggest Keepass as well, however mono is a pain in the plantain to install sometimes. This might also be due to my noobiness.

18. Default Re: Hello from Linux

Don't like IDEs I guess?

Assuming you mean C or C++, sounds like a pain. Why would you want to do that?

Use a GUI like Git Extensions or SourceTree and you won't need to learn arcane commands, just how it works as a DVCS. The basic workflow is quite similar to what you would use with SVN.

I have an Ubuntu VPS that I host animerecs.com on and a KUbuntu VM on my computer that I use as a QA environment to test code changes and software upgrades before putting them on the server. Most development and testing is done in Windows.

Just install the Mono package. If you need a newer version than what's in your distro's repository, then that might be a pain, but otherwise it shouldn't be different from installing anything else.

19. Default Re: Hello from Linux

I just got my Raspberry Pi in the mail today and put Raspbian on it. Haven't done anything yet besides make hello.py, but I'm pretty excited about the possibilities.

20. Default Re: Hello from Linux

Ubuntu was great when I wanted to quit Maple