Thread: Indie Titles

1. Default Indie Titles

So I wanted to make a thread where indie games of all kinds could be talked about, because I felt like it'd be kinda of a nuisance making a separate thread for all these games, in which most of the threads will get no more than a few posts, if any. However, if for some reason the higher powers feel like I should just stick to individual threads for the game(s), so be it.

Anyways, I recently picked up two new indie titles this week and both were absolutely fantastic. The first was Evoland, a new title that was added to Steam a bit ago and it was a great game. It's not very long, but it's essentially a "museum tour" through the history of RPGs from the earliest, classic Legend of Zelda games to the gritty, theatrical feel of Final Fantasy VII and more. But because of this, it's more of a homage meant to excite your nostalgia organ rather than a full-fledged game itself. Don't go into this game to play it as an actual game, but rather to re-experience the evolution of this fantastic genre. Now, some people have some difficulty justifying spending 10 dollars on a game that you can basically finish in little over 6 hours, and I fully understand, but for fans of the genre this is a great title. (Although I hold nothing against any of you who instead wait for it to go on sale--this is Steam after all).

The second title I picked up this week was an indie game I've been anticipating for awhile now. Released on both the PS3 through PSN and PS Vita, Guacamelee was awesome. You play as Juan, an agave farmer-turned-omnipotent luchadore who must wrestle his way through the armies of the undead in both the living and the dead after the love of his life is kidnapped by Calaca an undead skeleton who intends to, what else, take over the world. The game is a love letter to the "Metroidvania"-type of games we all love. As you progress through the game you gain new abilities that not only expand your fighting prowess but also allow you to access hidden secrets and new areas all throughout its stylized world. The game is charming, extremely fun, and is lovely to look at. It's rather depressing though that the game is, again, a little on the short side, but with as good as the reviews have been, there will hopefully be a sequel in the future and hopefully it'll be longer. The game does feature an unlockable hard mode, meaning if you want to 100% it, you will be playing through it twice, and it even has leaderboards that score you based on your completion percentage and time, so there is obviously more content to play through after the initial run. I highly recommend Guacamelee to anyone who has a PS3 or Vita.

2. Donator Straight Female
    IGN: icephoenix21
    Server: Scania
    Level: 212
    Job: Bishop
    Guild: DremithCross
    Alliance: Evolution
    Farm: IcePhoenix
    canada

Default Re: Indie Titles

I love the game limbo

3. Monster Truck Tire Straight Male
    IGN: Triggernometry
    Server: Supports
    Job: TeamSecret
    Guild: BigDaddy<3

I thought this was about indie games :(
    Here:
    http://jajitsu.com/games-html/cat-poke

4. Default Re: Indie Titles

This is the perfect thread for War for the Overworld.

I didn't want to make a thread about it because there's not a lot of information for it, however it is a game I've been looking forward to for quite some time and have already preordered/"founded" it.

Anyone ever hear of Dungeon Keeper? It was an amazing game made way back in the day (Like mid '90s), where you play an overseer of a dungeon of evil that is underground. You have builder minions called Imps that go around and dig tunnels and rooms to your command, as well as gold (currency), and claiming buildings to your cause. They can claim Portals, which allow minions to enter your domain. You then use your gold to build said minions rooms. A Lair for them to sleep in, a Hatchery to make them food, a Training Room for them to improve in, etc. Then you go out and kill other Dungeon Keepers or the "goodly" heroes that come to kill you. Think an RTS game with some huge twists, like the fact that you don't create your minions, and you don't directly control them, but you can force certain minions to join you buy only building rooms that attract them. You can move minions around at will among your claimed space, and direct them to locations with spells. The overall objective is to gain complete dominance over the map.

There were two Dungeon Keeper games, with the first one getting an expansion. Eventually the company that created it, Bullfrog, died out. They were in production of a third game, War for the Overworld. Well a bunch of Indie developers took up the cause essentially. They're using slightly different terminology, I assume to prevent stepping on trademark or copyright toes, (for example, instead of your title being Overlord it is now Underlord), but the game is essentially going to be a spiritual successor to Dungeon Keeper, with the same core gameplay and the same concepts, with more balanced features and more modernized controls and engine. I've been watching this game for quite some time, I absolutely loved the original games. They are quite enjoyable.

I would recommend anyone who has never tried Dungeon Keeper to try them out, but DK2 doesn't really like the new Windows infrastructure after XP, which sucks, and DK1 has some very noticeable flaws. Either way, it's definitely worth playing if you can get either to work. If you like them I doubt WFTO will disappoint.

The development team is pretty active. They're doing weekly updates with information about the game like units and rooms that they are adding, as well as core concepts that differentiate it with Dungeon Keeper. There's supposed to be a beta soon that will be Steam exclusive that I am definitely looking forward to.

5. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Yes thread is not old enough to be necroposting!

Anyway just found out a simple game that could somewhat fill that empty void of not having a MetroidVania game for the PC, its called Chasm, and quite honestly i don't have much to say, MetroidVaina its pretty much a Spot on description, you can level up, collect weapons, 2 Weapon slots for actual swords or Magics, Level Up System, each floor is generated Randomly, buy items, and some other nice stuffs. Game even got a Demo to try it.

Quite honestly i would fund the game, but sadly i'm still without a credit card that allows me to buy Dollars (pineappleing Goverment+Cadivi of pomegranate, i hate my country 99% of the time), so i do the next best thing and somewhat advertise it.

Also, Greenlight Link for the game.

6. Default Re: Indie Titles

That game is pretty fun.

I was going to kickstart it, but apparently my Amazon Payments account is suspended and I have absolutely no idea why (Was never told it was), and that's the only payment system Kickstarter uses apparently.

This is annoying, it's definitely a game I want to support too.

7. Certified Pimento Bi Male
    IGN: xxxxFenixR
    Server: Bera
    Level: Mix
    Job: Severals
    Guild: None
    Alliance: Nada
    Farm: Wut?
    venezuela

Another game im putting my eye on, looks cute:

Stonehearth

Need to read more on it, but apparently its a sandbox RPG townbuilder, apparently you can make the buildings block by block and or something. There are also townies where you can assign jobs to them and level them up.

And something something about epic boss mobs coming to your town from time to time.

8. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: VXArtillery
    Server: Yellonde
    Level: 181
    Job: Cannon Master
    Guild: Purify
    Alliance: Purify
    Farm: Yellondia
    Ohio

I am an avid indie gamer, myself, as well as an indie designer. I will be starting a YouTube series on indie Puzzle Platformers soon, as that is one of my favorite genres, as well as one on indie RPGs.

What I want is a decently-sized list of these types of games. Good, bad, I don't care. I just want some that I can play for about an hour, make a video about, and write an article.

If anyone knows of any, I would be very grateful to be given some names. :)

CURRENT LIST:

Thomas Was Alone
    La-Mulana
    Fez
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    Papo & Yo
    Ms. Splosion Man
    Stealth Bastard
    Gateways
    Dustforce
    Battleblock Theater
    Deadlight
    Q.U.B.E.
    Perspective
    Last edited by AcidAutumn; 2013-04-30 at 08:17 PM.

9. Default Re: Indie Titles

Well that shouldn't be too difficult, considering that is definitely one of the more popular genres used for the base for indie games, off the top of my head there is...

Thomas Was Alone
    La-Mulana
    Fez
    Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
    Papo & Yo
    Ms. Splosion Man
    Stealth Bastard
    Gateways
    Dustforce
    Battleblock Theater
    Deadlight
    Q.U.B.E.
    Perspective

And two honorable mentions that are more action-platformer, but they have a dash of puzzles: Spelunky and Cave Story+.

Anyways, happy to see that some Kickstarter things are being talked about. I've personally started really looking into that stuff recently and have found a number of indie titles that look fantastic. Some of you may or may not know about Shovel Knight, a Megaman/Ducktales-esque 16-bit game that looks like it's going to deliver on all fronts. Don't worry though, it's already been funded and is currently on Steam Greenlight, so get to voting for it! Another game I've heard about recently was A.N.N.E., which looks incredibly fun. Metroidvania-esque game that does show comparison to Cave Story+, but stands on its own two legs. It's more than halfway to its Kickstarter goal with only 21 days left, so I'm really hoping it pulls through.

10. Helium Atom Straight Male
    IGN: VXArtillery
    Server: Yellonde
    Level: 181
    Job: Cannon Master
    Guild: Purify
    Alliance: Purify
    Farm: Yellondia
    Ohio

I've had a lot of fun with Shovel Knight. My friend got an evaluation copy I got to play. It was very refreshing, honestly, to see a game of its kind that I enjoyed.

EDIT: HOLY F**KING SH*T TOMORROW IS FEZ'S STEAM RELEASE DATE.

WHAT THE F**K WHERE HAVE I BEEN.
    Last edited by AcidAutumn; 2013-04-30 at 10:18 PM.